hey please help

Options
hi everyone I am new to this forum and I was wondering do I need to use all my daily calories even on the days when I exercise and it gives me a higher calorie range. I assumed that if I exercised I would have the option to just burn those calories without adding them to my calorie count but hey I am obviously not a weightloss expert so I am not sure...it keeps saying that I am under my calorie. Thanx for any feedback : )

Replies

• olyrose
    olyrose Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    You'll see a lot of info about this throughout the forums (should I eat my exercise calories).

The theory, from what I can tell, is that you need to give your body a certain amount of calories to effectively nourish it for the day. Exercise removes those calories, so you have to put them back.

I tend to eat back part of mine, so I NET at least 1200 per day. (You can find the net on your home page, and this is what you should pay most attention to)

Be cautious of eating them ALL back though, as a lot of calories burnt during exercise tend to be overinflated. I figure that by netting at least the 1200, I am in a "safe" zone.

The site is set up to not account for exercise calories when it gives you your daily goal, so it's good to follow the directions it gives you for the most part.

good luck on your weight loss, and feel free to add me as a friend for support :smile:
  • Teemo
    Teemo Posts: 338
    Options
    Depends on what your recommended calorie count is? I hate the phrase "eating back exercise calories" though. It's a little misleading.

This is how it works (and how I think of it):

Let's say your resting metabolic rate (RMR) is 1,800 calories. That means, if you lay in bed all day and did ABSOLUTELY NOTHING your body would need 1,800 calories to maintain its current level of functionality. Now, most of us don't have that luxury (:laugh:) -- we work! We walk around, we jog to catch buses, and we workout and bust our butts at the gym! That means your calorie requirements INCREASE.

So 1,800 becomes (for example) 2,100. That means, given your daily requirements, you would need 2,100 calories to maintain the same level of muscle/fat.

Now, you're trying to lose fat. So you need to have a caloric deficit... let's say a daily deficit of -500 (which would give you a healthy fat/weight loss of ~1 lb/week). So 2,100 becomes 1,600.

And that's how you end up at 1,600 as your daily target.
  • twinkle1074
    twinkle1074 Posts: 35
    Options
    Thanx for the feedback...I was really beating myself trying to figure it out. I am so used too exercising and having the choice to use the calories or not but it also makes sense that if I am working out that I would need to supplement the energy/calories that I have diminished from exercising.
  • LADYJO1701
    LADYJO1701 Posts: 1
    Options
    I AM JUST STARTING , I AM SO O BEAST. I HAVE TRIED ALL MY LIFE. NOW I AM GOING TO COUNT CARBS. HAVE NEVER DONE THIS BEFORE. THE ONLY PROBLEM IS AFTER PUTTING ALL MY STUFF INTO THIS PROGRAM. IT KICKS OUT WHAT I HAVE TO EAT TO LOSE. I HAVE STARTED WITH WANTING TO LOSE 50 POUNDS. AND BACK CAME THE NUMBERS.
    CALORIES 3,090 PER DAY
    CARB 425 PER DAY
    FAT 103 PER DAY
    PROTEIN 116 PER DAY

MY SON SAYS I CAN NOT LOSE ANYTHING EATING THAT MUCH HE IS NOW A BODY BUILDER FOR 2 YEARS.. I HAVE PUT EVERYTHING IN EVEN THE FACT THAT I AM IN A WHEEL CHAIR..
    PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE HELP ME I AM RUNNING OUT OF TIME.

LADYJO1701@HOTMAIL.COM
  • twinkle1074
    twinkle1074 Posts: 35
    Options
    @ Lady it looks like the calorie count you are getting is in result to your exercise and your calorie needs. I also realize that the calories for some exercises are slightly higher than they should be. After going through the forum I have decided to at least use half my exercise calories. Its kinda hard though because I tend to workout at night and I really don't want to fill up on calories late at night. I guess on the days I exercise I will have a bigger breakfast and lunch to compensate. Thanx and feel free to add me : )