Jogging/Running vs Walking?

Options
So a friend of mine brought up that jogging is actually worse for you than walking. Its bad for the joints and doesn't actually burn more calories than speed walking (and also moving your arms)...and walking being lower impact will have less damage on the joints.

Went on to mention that runners have more joint problems when they are older than someone who did not run, and usually by the time a problem shows its already to late (they've grinded off all their cartilage in their knees etc).

Anyone heard the same thing? Know if there is any proof on this etc?

FL-RaceWalking-0704p46-m.jpg?300:300WomanRunningOnGrass_001.jpg

Replies

• alexandrarae90
    alexandrarae90 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I would like to know as well.. Runners LOVE running. It's an addiction. But yeah, what about later in life?
  • wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    First, I'm a runner and enjoy it.

That being said, running can be very hard on your joints since you are literally airborn for a few seconds at a time and the full weight of your body is being lifted and dropped down over and over. Proper shoes, strength training can mitigate that. I've never had a running related injury.

Your friend is wrong on running and walking being equal in calorie burning. Your higher heart rate and the fact that your body is doing so much work is proof of that.
  • Cletc
    Cletc Posts: 352
    Options
    Or do some of both until you can decide --->

8-week Conditioning Program
    http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/condition.html

or Lower Heart Rate exercise
    http://www.markallenonline.com/maoArticles.aspx?AID=2
  • mlemonroe2
    mlemonroe2 Posts: 603
    Options
    I just started jogging. I have heard that it is bad on the joints but I burn a lot more caloires jogging than speed walking. I know because I have an HRM. The way I figure it, my weight is bad on my joints and will cause a lot more health problems in the future. Jogging might cause me joint problems later but it will be good for me in so many other ways.
  • ValMol
    ValMol Posts: 4
    Options
    Honestly, I think this is constantly repeated by people because they either have no desire to run, can't run, or run poorly. There are ways to run safely and healthfully without such impacts to your joints. Most people just have poor running form and heel strike, which creates horrible stressors on your body, joints included.

http://www.npr.org/2011/03/28/134861448/put-those-shoes-on-running-wont-kill-your-knees

That said, I do believe you can get almost as good a workout powerwalking if running isnt your thing. But I do think running issues long term is grossly exaggerated, especially for casual runners.
  • skinnyack
    skinnyack Posts: 683
    Options
    Would it help if I told you "Give me an opinion and I'll give you the statistic to prove it"? I'm no expert but I do read a lot. There is a lot of proof that running is actually good for your bone density and that it's when we stop challenging our body that our bodies start to deteriorate. And then there are plenty of people who were runners and can't anymore . Only conclusion you can draw is the safe one- Do what YOU can Do. There's no telling if all those ex runners were also eating horribly un-nutritious foods (unlikely- but you know some of them were), or if the runners still going just never ran on pavement, or if barefoot runners last longer than shod runners.

All I know is I love running, and I love running far. I also love walking, but it's a lot slower....
  • cckeimig
    cckeimig Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I was told the same thing--that running and jogging are bad for your joints--way back when, but I honestly can't remember who told me. Anyway, I can't run any more because of my knee (it's excruciating to even try for more than maybe half a block), so I just walk. But I don't walk slowly--I think I walk almost fast enough to be jogging, and it definitely burns the calories. Most of my exercise logged on this site has been walking at some or other rate of speed. Oh, and I'm almost to my goal weight! :-)
  • Rebeccasluckyduck
    Rebeccasluckyduck Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Every time I tell my mom I'm going for a run, I went for a run, I registered for a race, etc, she tells me I should walk so my uterus doesn't drop to my knees. Really? Funny thing is she never mentions injury to my knees....
  • supertracylynn
    supertracylynn Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    I started out power walking, then felt so great I started jogging. I am not "technically" a runner. Bad knees run in my family so I sometimes have to take an Aleve afterward.

Thanks to strength training and physical therapy, I can jog with very little pain. The endorphins are WAY better (so is the heart rate and the sweat) than when power walking.

Yes. Good shoes help - be sure to get fitted for ones that are right for YOUR feet.

No matter what, do what feels right to you. To each his/her own! :)
  • mum2littledove
    mum2littledove Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    It is correct that running is higher impact on your joints - obvious when you do it, because of your weight hitting the ground from an airborne position. However, running on a treadmill is much lower impact than running on concrete, so is a bit of a compromise. Running on a treadmill does burn less calories than running outside, because when you're outside you have wind resistance and you have to propel yourself along the ground. However, I've read that elevating the treadmill by a notch and running at a faster pace, you can close that gap to an extent.

Running burns more calories, simply because you go faster and therefore cover more ground quicker. To achieve the same, you would have to walk for hours. Given that most of us don't have hours to spare, then running is a more efficient cardiovascular exercise.

Also, when you lose weight the impact on your joints will be a lot less! So I guess you want to look for the most efficient and enjoyable way to reach that goal, and if that includes a gentle run then go for it!
  • lisabel87
    lisabel87 Posts: 152
    Options
    This is a very common topic, I've read countless articles on it!

It depends on what the speed is. If you had a choice to walk at 4.2mph or jog at 4.2mph your body is actually going to get more of a workout by walking at this speed because it is more difficult to maintain a walk at this speed than a jog.
    That being said, if you jog 5.2mph for the same amount of time as walking, say, 4.2mph, your heart rate will heighten at 5.2 and you will burn more calories and get in a tougher workout.

"If you run for 20 minutes or walk for 50 minutes, you end up burning about the same amount of calories. But if you walk for 20 minutes or run for 20 minutes, running will create the biggest calorie deficit." -www.active.com
  • jrueckert
    jrueckert Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I think NOT ever running or jogging in your life will lead to a lot more health risks than actually getting moving! And NO... speed walking does not burn the same calories as running - your heart rate is a lot higher when you run. It's like those people that make excuses to not eat veggies and such because of the pesticides but will scarf down a fatty cheeseburger...
  • nate1198
    nate1198 Posts: 14
    Options
    My sister has been running for 30 years, she hasn't ever had a running injury. I do both ands switch it up! you need to stretch daily and get with a running coach if you are really intrested they can help you develop the best form for you! It's like lifting weights people do them wrong all the time...you just can't start running...you have to build up to running! I love it!!!! the proper shoes, stride how you land on your feet, many things come into play! Get someone to help you...Some running shoe stores have running clubs get some advice from a coach.
  • Legs_McGee
    Legs_McGee Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    "When you perform a continuous exercise, you burn five calories for every liter of oxygen you consume....And running in general consumes a lot more oxygen than walking."

"When you walk, you keep your legs mostly straight, and your center of gravity rides along fairly smoothly on top of your legs. In running, we actually jump from one foot to the other. Each jump raises our center of gravity when we take off, and lowers it when we land, since we bend the knee to absorb the shock. This continual rise and fall of our weight requires a tremendous amount of Newtonian force (fighting gravity) on both takeoff and landing."

I'm quoting from this Runners World article:

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-242-304-311-8402-0,00.html
  • jonikeffer
    jonikeffer Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I can't jog/run because I have very bad, very flat feet. Even walking on a treadmill is too much impact and the pain will limit me before I can get my heart rate up for long enough to get a good workout. I have found the elliptical machine to be the best substitute. It removes 90% of the impact but allows you to still get a good speed and groove going. I know that you would have to be doing it at a really high resistance level for it to simulate the difficulty of doing the same speed of jogging/running, but it still feels great. 140 strides per minute is about a 6MPH jog.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    The largest percentage of runners at the races I've been to have been in their 40s through 60s... and way faster than me! So I don't think their knees are falling apart on them. :wink:

That said, if you want to walk on a treadmill, pump the incline way up and don't hold on. You'll get that heart rate elevated in no time.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Running is terrible for you! It will make your uterus fall out. You've been warned...
  • Cletc
    Cletc Posts: 352
    Options
    The largest percentage of runners at the races I've been to have been in their 40s through 60s... a

Yeah.... I think my age group is the most competitive!
    and all those Seniors keep on passing me up.

:laugh:
  • ValMol
    ValMol Posts: 4
    Options
    Dont get me wrong. I think running can be hard work. I just dont believe the people that are constantly down on it about how bad it is for you. I simply dont believe that.