How old is too old to wear a bikini?

Options
rileamoyer
rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
Interesting Study, would like to find out MFP members' opinions!

Health in the News May 2011

Are You Too Old to Wear a Bikini? Maybe, Says New Study

How old is too old to wear a bikini? If you believe a new study, then 47 is the magic number.

Also appearing on the no-no list when it comes to women 45 and over: leggings, knee-high boots, high heels, and ponytails.

The study, commissioned by British company Diet Chef and reported in the Daily Mail, asked 2,000 women between the ages of 18 and 65 what they thought was the oldest age a woman could get away with wearing certain fashions and styles.

Here, a few more of the age limits uncovered by the survey:

Mini skirts 35
Knee High Boots 47
Leggings 45
Ugg boots 45
Swimsuit 61
Long hair 53
Ponytail 51

While that may leave many women of a certain age shuffling around in flats with short coiffs, 50 percent of those asked admitted that if a woman is slim, healthy, and attractive, she can “get away with anything.”

And, as it turns out, women may be just as opinionated about their own styles as they are about others. Forty four percent of the women in the survey admitted that they worry their expiration date for wearing certain clothing styles may have passed. Ten percent have even said they’d taken items back to a store because they realized they were “too young.”

What do you think about the survey? What, if anything, do you think is too young for women over 50 to wear?

– Sharon Tanenbaum, Everyday Health celebrity news editor

Here is the website if you want to respond to this article:

http://www.everydayhealth.com/blog/health-in-the-news/2011/05/13/are-you-too-old-to-wear-a-bikini-maybe-says-new-study/?comments_page=1&cmt_sort=0&nkr=1

MY REPLY:

#37. May 20 2011
I am 60, in good shape. I can wear skinny jeans with boots and turn heads of all ages. My hair is short, only because I ride my own Harley. So I will wear and ride what I d****** well please. I have earned that right.

Replies

• Ironbeak88
    Ironbeak88 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    You're never too old for anything! :wink:
  • ZebraHead
    ZebraHead Posts: 15,207 Member
    Options
    <~~ I still do but not outside, the neighbors signed a petition... :cry:
  • Becky1971
    Becky1971 Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    All garbage I say, especially swimsuit at 61... Never too old for a swim suit and swimming. I personally don't want to look like i'm trying to look younger than I am, cause I'm not. But definitely what ever a woman wants to wear, wear, it's a personal choice and age shouldn't have anything to do with it.
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    Pshaw, I do what I want despite what any "study" or society tells me to do.

My happiness is not for others to determine.

You get 'em Rileamoyer!
  • jowings
    jowings Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Interesting Read! I, personally, think that you should wear what you are most comfortable with and not care what anyone thinks :D! I am 30 and I still feel like a kid, and I am sure that this is reflected in my dress and style. You should just go with what works for you, not other people.
  • nextrightthing
    nextrightthing Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Pshaw, I do what I want despite what any "study" or society tells me to do.

My happiness is not for others to determine.

You get 'em Rileamoyer!

Yes this.....
  • kenzietea
    kenzietea Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    Interesting Study, would like to find out MFP members' opinions!

Health in the News May 2011

Are You Too Old to Wear a Bikini? Maybe, Says New Study

How old is too old to wear a bikini? If you believe a new study, then 47 is the magic number.

Also appearing on the no-no list when it comes to women 45 and over: leggings, knee-high boots, high heels, and ponytails.

The study, commissioned by British company Diet Chef and reported in the Daily Mail, asked 2,000 women between the ages of 18 and 65 what they thought was the oldest age a woman could get away with wearing certain fashions and styles.

Here, a few more of the age limits uncovered by the survey:

Mini skirts 35
    Knee High Boots 47
    Leggings 45
    Ugg boots 45
    Swimsuit 61
    Long hair 53
    Ponytail 51

While that may leave many women of a certain age shuffling around in flats with short coiffs, 50 percent of those asked admitted that if a woman is slim, healthy, and attractive, she can “get away with anything.”

And, as it turns out, women may be just as opinionated about their own styles as they are about others. Forty four percent of the women in the survey admitted that they worry their expiration date for wearing certain clothing styles may have passed. Ten percent have even said they’d taken items back to a store because they realized they were “too young.”

What do you think about the survey? What, if anything, do you think is too young for women over 50 to wear?

– Sharon Tanenbaum, Everyday Health celebrity news editor

Here is the website if you want to respond to this article:

http://www.everydayhealth.com/blog/health-in-the-news/2011/05/13/are-you-too-old-to-wear-a-bikini-maybe-says-new-study/?comments_page=1&cmt_sort=0&nkr=1

MY REPLY:

#37. May 20 2011
    I am 60, in good shape. I can wear skinny jeans with boots and turn heads of all ages. My hair is short, only because I ride my own Harley. So I will wear and ride what I d****** well please. I have earned that right.

I say it all depends on how old you LOOK not how you not how you actually are. There shouldn't be an age limit. I mean I have seen some 20 some year olds that wear mini skirts and short shorts that really shouldnt, and I have seen some older women that look GREAT in them. I think its all about tastefulness. You can wear more youthful styles without looking like a preteen. Its all about the balance :)
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,311 Member
    Options
    I only have another 13 months of miniskirts????? What about denim cutoffs?
  • kenzietea
    kenzietea Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    <~~ I still do but not outside, the neighbors signed a petition... :cry:

hahahahahahahaha! too funny!
  • bjerkins
    bjerkins Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    If 61 is too old for a swimsuit then how do 61 year olds swim? Naked.
  • FitnessChefJime
    FitnessChefJime Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    You're never too old for anything! :wink:
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,969 Member
    Options
    ha ha. I'm almost 57. It's a balancing act, for sure. Depends on where you are going and with whom, sometimes. :wink:

I'm keeping my bathing suits, knee high boots and leggings Thankyouverymuch. And my ponytail for my shoulder length hair. . . I'm not saying I'm stylin or rockin it....but :tongue:
  • HealthiHannah
    HealthiHannah Posts: 182 Member
    Options

I agree with this... It may be shallow, but it is true.
  • ZebraHead
    ZebraHead Posts: 15,207 Member
    Options
    If 61 is too old for a swimsuit then how do 61 year olds swim? Naked.

¿¿Alone??

This was meant to be funny. Please don't be hatin'...
  • Legs_McGee
    Legs_McGee Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I think it's all relative....if you're 50 and you've got the bod for it, wear that bikini! On the flip side, there are some teenagers who shouldn't be wearing leggings.

I do think it looks a little creepy when older women wear pigtails - but it never occurred to me there would be age limits on knee high boots, high heels, or bathing suits. Weird.
  • ShellyMacchi
    ShellyMacchi Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    *bursts out laughing at the ridiculous nature of that survey*

i could give a rats *kitten* what anyone thinks about what 'i' like to wear.

i am happily 55 this year and WILL keep my long hair, WILL still wear it in a ponytail whenever i want, WILL keep right on wearing my high heels cause 'i' love them and i could care less what anyone else thinks about them, and i WILL still wear leggings under certain very long sweaters/short casual dresses.. also cause 'i' like them! *L*

i suppose when i get older i COULD give up wearing a bathing suit as that survey suggests, but there really are not any nude beaches around here that i know of so i dare say i will shock more people by not wearing one than i will by wearing one

*LOL*

how silly!
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    I saw this article a little while ago, didn't think much of it. IMO a person can wear what they want until whatever age they want, not to mention there are TONS of women out there older than 47 that look great in a bikini.
    What also confused me was if it's 47 for a bikini, and 61 for a swimsuit what are you meant to go swimming in once you're over 61?! I saw a comment under that article when I read it saying they should just all go nude! haha
    It's silly though, especially since alot of the older people I know love to go swimming!
  • Legs_McGee
    Legs_McGee Posts: 845 Member
    Options

I agree with this... It may be shallow, but it is true.

That's what I was trying to say....although I don't think it's shallow to take care of yourself and take pride in your appearance.
  • beesareyellow
    beesareyellow Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    When my mom goes to Greece every summer, she always brings her bikinis, she has no other type of bathing suit. She and her sister go to the beach everyday wearing their bikinis and always get compliments or at the very least, no complaints, lol. Oh , did I mention that they are 70 and 73 respectively and both look amazing in them ?
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    Thanks folks, thought it would be an interesting topic. Glad to find out we are a crew of true independent thinkers!!!!!!!! You rock!