Help with my protein bar recipe please

Options
torregro
torregro Posts: 307
I'm working on replacing my South Beach Diet protein bars and so far have been working on this recipe:

Bertolli - Olive Oil - Extra Light , 0.33 Tbsp 40 5 0 0 1
Mccormick's - Pure Vanilla Extract, 2 tsp 8 0 0 2 0
Designer Whey Protein 100 Calories - French Vanilla Flavor, 4 scoop 400 8 72 12 4
Meijer - Sliced Almonds, 2 oz (about 1/3 cup) 320 28 12 12 2
Great Value (Walmart) - Dry Roasted Peanuts, 2 oz (28g/about 1/4 cup) 320 26 12 14 4
Now Healthy Foods - Brown Rice Syrup, 16 Tablespoons/4gm 1,040 0 4 256 0
Arrowhead Mills - Puffed Millet Cereal, 1 cup 60 1 2 11 0
Erewhon - Crispy Brown Rice With Mixed Berries Cereal, 5 cup 600 3 10 135 0
Jif - Creamy Peanut Butter (Reduced Fat), 2 tablespoons (35g) 190 12 8 15 3

Per Serving: 248 7 10 38 1

So here's the help I need. Ideally, the bar would end up with 10 grams of fat, 20 grams of protein and 30 grams of carbs.
I need the cereal to give it body, but could probably substitute out another cup of puffed millet for the crispy brown rice, but it won't help much. I could add more protein powder, but think it would work better if I add it to the syrup and vanilla that I need to heat. Can I heat whey protein without degrading it? When I put it in with the dry ingredients, I'm not sure that it got distributed evenly because of the powder form.
I'm trying to avoid really exotic ingredients because I've already spent a lot of money on several batches that were failures.
How can I add more protein and fat to this bar without increasing the carbohydrate count even further?
any suggestions would be so appreciated.

Replies

• naturallykat
    naturallykat Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    An lot of that went over my head, but I'm pretty sure you can't heat whey powder. x
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    I think changing EVOO to Coconut Oil would help the overall taste. JMHO.
    You would melt the coconut oil down, and drizzle it into a big bowl with all the other ingredients. Mix well, and then smash them really tightly into muffin tin compartments. Allow to set in fridge and take out whenever you need them.
  • torregro
    Options
    An lot of that went over my head, but I'm pretty sure you can't heat whey powder. x

Sorry, I should have been more clear.
    Right now the bars come in as: Per Serving: 248calories 7gm fat 10gm protein 38gms carbohydrates.

1. I'd like to add 3 grams of fat to each bar (recipe serves 12), 10 grams of protein to each bar (recipe serves 12), and try to reduce the carbohydrate grams by 8 grams a bar.
    2. I can add more protein powder to the mix, but was wondering about adding it to the liquid ingredients which are heated, so as to mix the protein more uniformly throughout the mixture.

Basically, this is a very healthy Brown Rice Krispy Treat right now. ;-)
  • torregro
    Options
    You would melt the coconut oil down, and drizzle it into a big bowl with all the other ingredients. Mix well, and then smash them really tightly into muffin tin compartments. Allow to set in fridge and take out whenever you need them.

I think coconut oil would be a good idea. I just didn't want to buy any more ingredients today. I'm not even sure why the teaspoon of oil is even in the recipe, unless it's to help the bars not stick to the pan. A teaspoon is hardly noticeable flavor wise.
  • TIFnFIT
    TIFnFIT Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Wow - that seems like a lot of work. I don't really know about everything else, but I always substitute apple sauce to things that call for oil or butter (ie: cakes, cookies, brownies). Perhaps it could give you some more fiber too. Good Luck ~

I think coconut oil would be a good idea. I just didn't want to buy any more ingredients today. I'm not even sure why the teaspoon of oil is even in the recipe, unless it's to help the bars not stick to the pan. A teaspoon is hardly noticeable flavor wise.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,071 Member
    Options
    ground flax/ flax meal? Protein and fat and Omegas.