Insulin Resistance

Options
Hello all!

I just received my lab results from a recent doctor appointment. These are the worst results I've ever had..never really been high in glucose or cholesterol before. Now I'm high in both, but also high in insulin. My doctor has referred me to the endocrinologist to talk about Insulin resistance. I'm so scared that I'll go in to talk about that and come out with a diabetes diagnosis.

Any words of wisdom or help would be greatly appreciated! Love you all!

Replies

• jlanab
    jlanab Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I'm IR and it is scary at first but you learn to manage it through diet and medication in the beginning to keep you as healthy as possible (so it wont progress into full diabetes, or increase heart attack/stroke risk). Once your sugars are under control your body will shed some excess weight and eventually through proper diet EXERCISE, and medications you can get things under control. At some point you may be able to get off sugar meds. Only thing is high blood sugars make it hard to loose weight which in turn keeps blood sugars and LDL high. With IR you have to work extra hard to loose the weight but the results (better quality and quantity of life) are worth it.
  • astovey
    astovey Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I'm IR and it is scary at first but you learn to manage it through diet and medication in the beginning to keep you as healthy as possible (so it wont progress into full diabetes, or increase heart attack/stroke risk). Once your sugars are under control your body will shed some excess weight and eventually through proper diet EXERCISE, and medications you can get things under control. At some point you may be able to get off sugar meds. Only thing is high blood sugars make it hard to loose weight which in turn keeps blood sugars and LDL high. With IR you have to work extra hard to loose the weight but the results (better quality and quantity of life) are worth it.

^ what she said.