to eat candy or not?

Options
So, if I wanted to eat a candy bar, would it be okay if I did enough exercise to cancel out the calories? Or would this technique not work? and if I could get away with this, how often or how many times could I do it?

I'm thinking I could eat whatever I wanted as long as I burned enough calories to cancel the food out. Right?

THANX,
sue

Replies

• Missylydia
    Missylydia Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I just eat it, if I'm well within the calories. But chocolate is my cryptonite. Haha
    However, everything else I eat is totally 'clean'.
  • almonds1
    almonds1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    eat some fruit such as a apple or even yogurt....I find that the sugar is what you crave and they pack some decent sugar levels without all the access....

nothing like a candy bar once in a while....

tibs
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    If you eat less than you expend you will lose weight. Worry more about keeping under your goal than eating .........whatever!

I think it becomes more important WHAT you eat the less you need to lose........

Personally, I eat everything and I dont mind if that's 300 cals of sweet stuff if I ate good proteins and veg and fruit for the rest of the day.........and I lose weight if I stick to my calorie goals.

Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • funkyspunky871
    funkyspunky871 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    Well, technically.... Yes. a calorie is a calorie. You can spend your calories on whatever you like. As long as you have a deficit, you'll lose weight.

You'll find yourself better off in the long run if you eat healthier. A chocolate bar every now and then won't kill you though, lol. If you want it, I'd say go for it. Work your butt off and if you're still in the mood for candy, have some.

P.S. I'm the biggest hypocrite ever. :) I eat candy pretty much every single day. I'm good at giving advice, but not so good at following it. Sometimes I have up to 2 full-size hershey's chocolate bars in a day. 420 calories... I hate to admit that lately I'd rather spend 400+ calories on candy than an actual meal.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    Once in a while might actually help keep you on track. Satisfy a craving and you might be less likely to binge. Best strategy is to just eat it slowly and savor every bite.
    But I wouldn't do it too often. Definitely not every day. When you exercise, your nutritional needs go up - you need more that just extra calories. A candybar won't do that for you. That, and you want to train yourself to prefer healthy snacks. :)
  • Learnin2LuvMe
    Learnin2LuvMe Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I eat my candy pretty much everyday,or at least something sweet.I have such a bad sweet tooth,but I keep it within my calorie intake and I deserve it after working my butt off!! Enjoy your candy!
  • kacarter1017
    kacarter1017 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Well, not exactly... There is also the issue of nutrients. A candy bar on a regular basis will blow all sorts of nutrient levels (like sugar, maybe salt, fat). If you do this frequently, your weight loss will be slowed, if not stopped. And this isn't just about weight loss but being healthy. Candy bars just aren't healthy.
  • TheBraveryLover
    TheBraveryLover Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    LOL Go for it if you really want it. Yes, exercise will combat it, but you shouldn't think like, "ohh I can eat whatever I want as long as I exercise". I mean, yeah, you'll get results, but still your eating habits should be different if you're trying to change your mentality with food. And anyone who wants to keep the weight off forever should want to change their previous eating style.

Again, I'd go for it if I were you, exercise or not (as long as I'm within my calories, that is) but the idea is to not eat junk food as often as you used to. Exercise will "erase" it, but eating it all the time or daily is not a good habit to have.
  • almonds1
    almonds1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    JUST EAT AN APPLE!!!! lol
  • ceschwartz
    ceschwartz Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Could you get away with eating half of it? How about a fourth? Maybe just bite...do the best you can.
  • perrytyra
    perrytyra Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I am beginning to think that sugar is worse than fat. I think I wouldn't eat a candybar now more than once a week.
  • WitherAway
    WitherAway Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Try the snack size... I was craving something sweet today...and I had a snack size Junior Mints (40 calories) I'm sure there's people out there that can buy a 6 pack of candy bars and make them last... they'd be calling my name in the middle of the night!!
  • mandysjourney
    mandysjourney Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I have mini bars sometimes. Usually is enough to curb any cravings etc but less cals like about a third
  • TheBraveryLover
    TheBraveryLover Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    P.S. I'm the biggest hypocrite ever. :) I eat candy pretty much every single day. I'm good at giving advice, but not so good at following it. Sometimes I have up to 2 full-size hershey's chocolate bars in a day. 420 calories... I hate to admit that lately I'd rather spend 400+ calories on candy than an actual meal.

If you being a hypocrite and eating candy everyday means losing 130 pounds like you, then I say keep on being a hypocrite! *on my way out to the store to buy some hershey's bars* LOL
  • funkyspunky871
    funkyspunky871 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options

If you being a hypocrite and eating candy everyday means losing 130 pounds like you, then I say keep on being a hypocrite! *on my way out to the store to buy some hershey's bars* LOL

Well, you better pick up a tub of vanilla icing while you're at it... Because that's what I ate for dinner last night. :blushing: Okay, I didn't eat the entire tub, just 5 tablespoons (375 calories). I'm such a loser.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I eat some form of chocolate every darn day.. If I didn't I'm pretty sure i'd be the crabbiest person ever because I was denying my body what it really wanted. Honestly, as long as the rest of your food is healthy, one bar or half a bar is not going to kill you.
  • suziblues2000
    suziblues2000 Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the responses!

I have such an evil sweet tooth.......it never takes a break! Especially at night when I'm watching TV, relaxing, I eat popcorn, chocolate and pop tarts. Pop Tarts are the most EVIL of them all. 400 calories for just two of em! I cannot have those things in my house anymore (except that my husband LOVES them and of course he is skinny as Mick Jagger and can eat 10 boxes of pop tarts and not gain one little ounce).

I have absolutely NO willpower. How do I get willpower??? I suppose if I had an answer to THAT question I'd be rich. I want to be healthy and strong, my brain says "oh, a few <hundred> calories won't hurt, you can work it off later" which I do...but still...I wish I didn't love food so much.
  • PoleBoy
    PoleBoy Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Try to please your sweet tooth with berries - I just munched through half a pound of strawberries :D

I have a filled chocolate every day, and a hot chocolate drink every day - but I do that as part of a balanced diet
  • PoleBoy
    PoleBoy Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on over a year of not smoking
  • trishlambert
    trishlambert Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I am beginning to think that sugar is worse than fat. I think I wouldn't eat a candybar now more than once a week.

I've come to the same conclusion. I have no idea if there is any kind of scientific basis for this, but my body seems to react to sweets with lots of refined sugar. I have discovered that even though I stay within my daily calorie budget, if I eat a significant portion of that budget in sugar (200-300 calories), like caramel sauce or chocolate, I not only don't lose--I gain!!!

This doesn't happen if I stick with more complex sugars like fruit, or if I keep sugar calories low (under 100 per day). So now when I'm craving sugary treats, I have to decide if it will be worth putting my weight loss on hold. I hope I decide it's not!