Who is using a heart rate monitor?

Options
Who here is using a heart rate monitor to track calories burned? I just bought one but haven't even put it on yet. Thoughts?

Replies

• Cletc
    Cletc Posts: 352
    Options
    I use one, the Garmin Forerunner 305

My thoughts? I like it !
  • Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    I love my Polar FT4, I would be lost without it!
  • ssc0303
    ssc0303 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I use the New Balance N4. I love it. I like being able to track my actual calories when doing things like playing tennis or riding my bike.
  • epj78
    epj78 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Just replaced my Polar because I missed it so much.

Why do I use it? A) I love data B) It pushes me to work harder C) I'm more adapt to eat back some of my calories if I have an accurate number for burn
  • CraftyGirl4
    CraftyGirl4 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I love mine and use it everyday when I am going to work out. I am doing P90X, and they have a certain number of calories they estimate and encourage you to eat back those calories so you're not starving...but maybe I'm just a stickler, but I like to know the real number that's just for me. You'll be surprised what you learn about how many calories you burn.
  • WifeMomDVM
    WifeMomDVM Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    Me me! I use the Timex Zone Trainer. I like mine also. I subtract my BMR after working out, because I'm that much of a math nerd.
  • ChristineM1953
    ChristineM1953 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT4. It is worth the money spent. I can't imagine not having it. I never realized how many calories I actually burned before and this helps me to keep on track. I wear it for just about every activity I do outside of my normal day. It has been successful for me.
  • sherislade
    sherislade Posts: 2
    Options
    I used a Bodybugg for a few months to track my calories burned. But got tired of paying the monthly membership fee. So went to Target and got an inexpensive heart rate monitor (Sportline). So far, I really like it. I wear it every time I work out to see how many calories I burned. The only thing I don't like is that I have to actually touch the watch if I want to know what my heart rate is (vs. some watches out there can display a constant heart rate from the wrist).

What kind of monitor did you get? When do you plan on taking it for a test run? Keep us posted!
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I just got my Polar FT7 and I am addicted. Even tho you do need to take the calorie burn with a grain of salt, it's more accurate then anything else.
    I actually want to work out more now that I have it
  • joamarelo
    joamarelo Posts: 161
    Options
    I'm always with my heart rate monitor and i love it!
  • sherislade
    sherislade Posts: 2
    Options
    I keep hearing raves about the Polars, and now I want one. FT4... FT7... what's the difference? (I guess I could google it, eh?)
  • mommymovingmountains
    mommymovingmountains Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I LOVE mine now that I figured out all of it's features :)
  • RCKT82
    RCKT82 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I couldn't believe I use to workout without my Polar FT60... it definitely makes me work harder. I don't let my mind tell me how tired I am now, I workout according to what my heart is doing. One of the best purchases I have ever made.
  • dad106
    Options
    I keep hearing raves about the Polars, and now I want one. FT4... FT7... what's the difference? (I guess I could google it, eh?)

Honestly, not much besides the price. FT7 holds more training files then the FT4 and you can transfer the data to your computer with the FT7. Also the FT4 only has 2 colors while the FT7 has 4 colors. Other then that, its pretty much the same model.
  • epj78
    epj78 Posts: 643 Member
    Options

Honestly, not much besides the price. FT7 holds more training files then the FT4 and you can transfer the data to your computer with the FT7. Also the FT4 only has 2 colors while the FT7 has 4 colors. Other then that, its pretty much the same model.

Also, the FT4 could have "Cross talk" with other HRM if you work out in a gym setting - especially group exercise classes. The F6 and the F7 are virtually the same except the F7 has the new "comfort" strap.

All the reviews I've read say the FT4 is fine as long as you don't go to the gym and use it at home workouts or outside.
  • ofccat
    ofccat Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I have a New Balance N4 and love it. I use it all the time when working out.
  • dad106
    Options

Also, the FT4 could have "Cross talk" with other HRM if you work out in a gym setting - especially group exercise classes. The F6 and the F7 are virtually the same except the F7 has the new "comfort" strap.

All the reviews I've read say the FT4 is fine as long as you don't go to the gym and use it at home workouts or outside.

Actually the FT4 comes with own code technology that eliminates the cross talk that you mentioned. So it would be perfectly fine in a gym setting.
  • laloushka
    laloushka Posts: 5
    Options
    Hi. i seriously need help with this heart rate monitor issue. i just bought a Timex unisex personal heart rate monitor and used it for the first time yesterday. i worked out for 30 minutes on elliptical. the machine read the heart rate signals from my timex but the calories burned displayed on the machine were 200 cals less than what read on my watch. i got so confused and frustrated and am ready to return it. i want someone to tell me if i could trust my watch or i shouldn't. One last things, as i searched around last night for the calories burned formula depending on heart rate, the amount calculated was almost the same as displayed on the watch, which made me even more confused... HELP pllllllzzzzzzz:noway:
  • Cletc
    Cletc Posts: 352
    Options
    I'm always with my heart rate monitor and i love it!

Yep, same here
    :-)
    Garmin Forerunner 305
  • LittleD311
    LittleD311 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I have a sportline that I got from Walmart, not gonna lie, it was cheap, since I was currently unemployed for almost a year, but it works great, easy to use, and I love it!