Need help coming up with a food plan

Options
Hey all,

It seems I am way under on calories or way over so I just need some help coming up with healthy ways to get enough calories. I would greatly appreciate anyone that wants to help me come up with a daily or weekly food plan!

Thanks!

Replies

• WifeMomDVM
    WifeMomDVM Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    How many more calories do you need? I find it helpful to drink calories - such as in a protein shake. Nuts will pack alot of calories too in a small snack. My diary is public if you need ideas. I eat at least 1200 calories a day, and sometimes MORE!!!!

Also, eat clean!

Try this plan:

http://www.extremely-fit.com/fitness-tips/2011/01/8week-transition-diet/
  • malmustafa79
    malmustafa79 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem, so bump to see resposes. I also got a copy of Jillian Micheals 30 day diet plan was thinking of going by that.
  • codexavellum
    codexavellum Posts: 112
    Options
    How many more calories do you need? I find it helpful to drink calories - such as in a protein shake. Nuts will pack alot of calories too in a small snack. My diary is public if you need ideas. I eat at least 1200 calories a day, and sometimes MORE!!!!

• malmustafa79
    malmustafa79 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Hi was wondering where you bought almond butter? I cant seem to find it where I live.
  • WifeMomDVM
    Options
    I get mine at Publix. It is on the top shelf above all of the peanut butters. My Publix has several brands to choose from but the Barney Butter brand is the best (IMHO) it is no stir, and so yummy!

If your grocery store doesn't carry it ask your manager if he will start carrying it for you. :)
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Take a look at my diary, I was at 1370 calories a day, but just lowered to 1200...that said I feel like I've done pretty well packing in lots of great foods to stick really close to my calorie goals most days! Add me as a friend if you'd like. I can give you some more suggestions...
  • splashwags
    splashwags Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Hi was wondering where you bought almond butter? I cant seem to find it where I live.

I get Almond butter at Trader Joe's and Giant...
  • WifeMomDVM
    Options
    Also the book The New Rules of Lifting for Men (or Women) by Lou Schuler has a diet plan it it. Most of the recipes follow a 40/30/30 macronutrient profile.

In general - I normally have a protein shake for breakfast, a salad and healthy cereal lunch (usually Kashi cereal because it's low in sugar, high in protein and fiber), almonds for a snack, and a lean protein source for dinner (fish, turkey, chicken).

Then if I'm ever short on calories (which is rare for me, I usually have the OPPOSITE problem) I will sometimes have another protein shake in the evenings - usually after my workout.

I'm sorry if this plan seems a little vague - but just play with it. It's also helpful to try to plan your diary in advance so you can see what you will be eating and can make adjustments if necessary. Or spread your meals snacks out better so you don't get too full or starve at different points in the day.

Good luck!
  • momma3sweetgirls
    momma3sweetgirls Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I can tell you how I plan my meals and maybe it would help...

I start with making a supper menu for the week before I get my groceries. In addition to myself, I'm feeding my husband and 3 kids - will be 4 once the baby is off the mush. We choose things most of us like...ham, lasagna, pizza, steak, chicken, pork, tacos, chili - you get the idea. Fill in the sides: salad, veggies, noodles, rice, potato, whatever.

For lunch I eat leftovers, sandwiches, or soup.

Breakfast is either cereal (Kashi) or oatmeal and some kind of meat (usually sausage).

I eat 2 snacks a day - one midmorning and one midafternoon. You need to figure out how often you need to eat to avoid being hungry - might be 2 snacks, might be 3 snacks plus the 3 main meals.

Now, Once I know what I'll be eating all week, I need to figure out how much I can eat to stay close to my calorie goal. I sit down every morning to (sometimes the night before) and plug everything in for the whole day. What goes through my mind sometimes is "gee, I really want a decent size piece of lasagna for supper tonight - how can I tweek my day to allow that?". I cut back on other meals/snacks to allow for it.

I do input my exercise before I actually do it so that I don't end up with a ton of extra calories at the end of the day. I like to eat those calories and I do throughout the day before I actually exercise. I've yet to fail to exercise because I know I need to to burn those extra calories.

Ok, I've rambled enough. Hope this helps.
  • maggieschuck
    maggieschuck Posts: 174
    Options
    My intake is 1500 cals a day. I try to eat 5 times a day - 300 cal per meals. The key is to start first thing in the am. Start looking at food diary's and get ideas on what a ex: 300 cal meal looks like.

A few examples

1/2 cup Natural Oat Meal (150 cals) with 1/4 cup trail mix (120-180 cals) or raw Almonds
    Bagel Thins- Wheat (110 cals) with Fat Free Cream Cheese (60 cals) and 2 eggs ( about 100 cals)
    Protein Shake with frozen berries ( you could also add oat meal, trail mix or yogurt to up cals)
    Salt Free Rice Cakes (2 qty= 80 cals) with Peanut butter (190 cals= 2 tbls) and Sugar Free Smuckers Preserves (10 cals)
    La Tortilla Factory- High Fiber Tortilla (large) (80 cals) with Eggs ( add meat, cheese or veggies)

Snacks:
    Hummus with Special K crackers
    Hard boiled egg with an apple and string cheese
    Trail mix or raw nuts with a yogurt

It takes time to get your food under control. I see a dietitian every month to help me. Its taken me about 4 months to pick the right foods. Its all trial and error. Keep trying new things until you feel all your choices are healthy. My diary is open if you want top take a peek.
  • live2smyle
    live2smyle Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Bump