Why do people....

Options
not want to exercise :noway: ? I don't understand this -- have seen several posts now and was just curious the thoughts behind not wanting a healthy body all around.
Exercise is a stress reducer, libido increaser, self-confidence building, heart-ticker extender, energy supplier and better resting enabler.
So -- what gives?

Replies

• TNTPete
    TNTPete Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    not want to exercise :noway: ? I don't understand this -- have seen several posts now and was just curious the thoughts behind not wanting a healthy body all around.
    Exercise is a stress reducer, libido increaser, self-confidence building, heart-ticker extender, energy supplier and better resting enabler.
    So -- what gives?
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    lol! Cuz they don't realize. And in some cases starting is very hard because they haven't done it in so long. Pain is a major reason. What they don't realize is, it's normal to have some discomfort at the beginning, but if they take it slow and work up to a better pace over the course of weeks or months most of this pain (joints, muscles, soarness) goes away.
  • TNTPete
    Options
    Yeah, I can understand the pain part -- but I think you know what I mean... it is worth it if you just try. And I love being mobile -- always have, always will - can't imagine giving that up!!

Anyway, that makes sense - sort-of frustrated earlier after this past week of negative posts on the exercise issue. Anywho... it is all a personal journey.
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    I hear you. I think it is like cutting calories. It takes a little time to get used to it and get over the "hate it" bump and get into feeling better.

I truly wish that every person would push themselves through the misery of it. I know it's hard to get the drive to get up and go sometimes and make it a priority. I mean, it is a commitment because you have to go several hours in the course of a week. I used to not like it at all and now I LOVE it. I love how it makes me feel, both the endorphins and my health! My endurance is SO much better now. In fact, I have to bump up the level now and then because it starts to get too easy.

If I head to the gym and am feeling the beginning of a migraine come on, it will go away about 10 minutes into my cardio. If it is "that time of the month" and I go to the gym, it relieves the cramping. If I am bloated and feel icky and head to the gym, I sweat out the bloat and feel better. If I argue with my hubby (LOL!), I head to the gym and work out my frustrations and feel better. It has AMAZING benefits other than helping with weight-loss.

I am an endorphin addict! lol!
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    Really it comes down to this. Do you want the physical pain of starting, cuz that's gonna eventually give way to mental pleasure (proud of yourself, your new body...etc).

Or do you want the mental pain of always feeling like you are a failure, or guilty, or what ever feelings you get from knowing you SHOULD be exercising in some way, but aren't. I submit that the physical pain is far less scary, and far less permenant!
  • hnlymark
    Options
    I suspect some people find it inconvenient because they think they have to spend a lot of time or money, or they have to go to the gym. A friend of mine convinced me to start working out and after he told me what HE was doing, I realized how much change I had noticed in him and that he really wasn't doing anything that intense. A great deal of benefit can be realized from just thirty minutes a day, in your home, with very little (if any) expenditure. And, provided you start small, the soreness is minimal.
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,786 Member
    Options
    Totally agree - but I think some people don't do it because, um, it's easier not to eat as much and you can lose weight faster. Before anyone jumps down my throat, I said faster, not better. From everything I've read, you will keep it off longer if you exercise.
  • cp005e
    cp005e Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    I am an endorphin addict! lol!

Hmmm. As far as I know, I have never felt endorphins. I just feel like I can keep going and it feels OK, or like I can keep going but sorta don't want to, can keep going and REALLY don't want to, or can't go any more. But it never feels GOOD...
    Do you want the physical pain of starting, cuz that's gonna eventually give way to mental pleasure (proud of yourself, your new body...etc).

Or do you want the mental pain of always feeling like you are a failure, or guilty, or what ever feelings you get from knowing you SHOULD be exercising in some way, but aren't. I submit that the physical pain is far less scary, and far less permenant!

That's a great way to put it.
  • IcanIwill1
    IcanIwill1 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    In reply to the first TNTPete's post
    Well you yourself said you had a love hate relationship with exercise...
    some people are not quite where you are now vis-a-vis exercise adherence...
    In time some will grow to love it
    some never will. that is what makes us unique and individual I suppose....
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    bump
  • TNTPete
    Options

True -true but you misunderstand me -- I love to be lazy at times and do nothing but my inner voice shouts -- get up lazy and do something -- then I love exercise. Sorry to mislead...

Yes, we are different aren't we?? However, we're here for common goals and, such as that is, exercise is the key to unlock the door to the goal we are all trying to achieve; inner beauty, health, and weight loss.

Ahhhh. am not so frustrated with the misconceptions today -- feel at peace. Everyone must follow their own path.. good luck on your individual path.

Also, was pointing out the benefits -- :wink: as I see 'em -- and endorphins -- you betcha!!
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    thanks to posts like this (shout out tam, banks, shorerider) I have increased my exercise. If night falls and I have not done my 45-60 min I cant go to bed.

I have added weight training and different cardio work outs.

Thanks to all y'all for your posts. They are informative and helpful.

Today I walked on the beach 2 miles, in a bathing suit, with my head held high, and my Ipod jammin'.

Burned it up, yes I did. (there should be one of those babies to the left that SWEATS!)

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I suspect some people find it inconvenient because they think they have to spend a lot of time or money, or they have to go to the gym. A friend of mine convinced me to start working out and after he told me what HE was doing, I realized how much change I had noticed in him and that he really wasn't doing anything that intense. A great deal of benefit can be realized from just thirty minutes a day, in your home, with very little (if any) expenditure. And, provided you start small, the soreness is minimal.

I dance (privately) and burn as many calories as I did at the gym on the elliptical machine. Doesnt cost me a dime! (ok that is a lie, I had to buy "baby got back" from Itunes :tongue: )
  • Fit2btied
    Options
    I think we do what we know, and we resist change. It takes the process of mental change, and then behavior change over an extended period to change our behaviors. Once we build exercise into our routine and stick with it, it becomes part of what we know, and since we resist change, we continue to exercise. I miss it if I don't get it into my day, but sooo didn't use to be that way!
  • TNTPete
    Options
    Fit2btied --EXACTLY -- change is scary and everyone fights against change!!! I believe you are on to something here.... maybe that is why when you do get into exercising you resist the urge to quit -- change again!!

Excellent point.
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options

good response...glad you posted it! :happy:

I think there are any number of reasons...size, self confidence, money for clothes, (yes even shorts or sweat pants and Tshirts if you don't have them), swimsuit if you've got a water class to go too, fear of change, wondering if you'll fit in. (Realizing later it really doesn't matter because that's not why you're there in the first place!):laugh:

Like Banks mentioned not having done it for awhile it can take getting used too. Also good point on folks that don't excercise regularly don't really understand all the great benefits, the extra energy, that high you get when you've accomplished what you set out to do that day....oh so many reasons come to mind that I've now experienced since beginning a regular regime.

My reasons before I started working out last year were my size, lack of funds, deciding what exactly I would be capable of doing...it was scary when I started out. But I had gotten to the point where a person gets when they just DO IT! When you have no more excuses and want to make that change...something happens within us and you begin, whether it's quit smoking, healthy eating, cutting back on whatever you need to for you body to be healthiest.

I am someone that absolutely LOVES my workouts!! I look forward to them...but my life before I began to lose weight was very different before healthy eating habits came back and exercise.

I was living a very isolated life, my marriage had ended, income had seriously dropped...so along came depression. Something clicked one day...and that was it for me!! It was what I needed to begin caring about myself again. I can't say what it was...but I began very healthy clean eating, began to lose quite a bit of weight, got soooooo much more mobile and then began to workout regularly.

When I first joined the gym, it was tough...not using your muscles for a time makes them pretty out of shape....I look back now and see how very far I've come...yes I do have a ways to go but I'm living my life NOW and am very social which the gym has helped so much with. I look forward to seeing friends I work out with...it's absolutely a regular part of each day now.

Just a peek into one person's past before the excercise switch clicked on.... :happy:

Interesting topic...some things can't be understood unless we are wearing their shoes for a moment.:wink:
  • Carrie6o6
    Carrie6o6 Posts: 1,443 Member
    Options
    I never wanted to exercise. I was much too lazy hahaha I dreaded the thought of having to do anything haha I hated being out of breath (frankly I still do) and I felt embarrassed being fat and exercising haha
  • jlwhelan1
    Options
    I LOVE exercise, but it is my biggest challenge. In fact, since tracking my food for a month and a half I'm dead on without trying. I'm balanced, eating enough, not too much, blah blah blah. It's all about how my exercise decreased from 5 - 7 miles of running and weight lifting daily to a mere 1/2 hour bike commute since starting grad school. I feel like a slug.

Making time for as much as I need when my work days are already long, and the weather is still over 100. I tend to spend my limited time with my kids and hubby rather than at the gym. I feel selfish going when my family sees so little of me.

My goal this week (now that I'm flu-free) is to delay starting work by an hour and work out from 6:30 to 7:30 am before I go to my desk/lab. I can spare that (I'm telling myself hoping I'll believe it.)
  • TNTPete
    Options
    Fitness Chick --
    This is what is good about this forum -- ferreting out the responses -- seeing the impacts and hopefully realization that anybody can do it; if they the mind to do it.
    Way to go on your success :happy: - hopefully we can get more people into it!! The ahhh sense of accomplishment.

Thanks for lending shoes!! (I have been working out regularly for 14yrs sometimes harder than others but always a constant so... from my perspective workouts are part of life - darn the military!!!).
  • TNTPete
    Options
    I never wanted to exercise. I was much too lazy hahaha I dreaded the thought of having to do anything haha I hated being out of breath (frankly I still do) and I felt embarrassed being fat and exercising haha

Never be embarrassed about working out -- we're all there to do something to improve our bodies!! Also, awesome pic!! You look smokin':glasses: