Awful Workouts / Strength vs. Cardio - Virtual style

suzooz
suzooz Posts: 720 Member
edited September 27 in Fitness and Exercise
I had two back-to-back awful workouts, and I need some help getting back on track.

I have been working out for the last 90 days and still consider myself to be a beginning exerciser. I started out on the Wii Fit and HATED the very short island run. I never in a million years would have guess why people would try the Free Run, but one day, I did the 10 minute run. Then came the 20 minute run, until I was able to run for 30 minutes. I experience the "runners high" for the first time in years. I would also do the yoga / strength training (which I hated), but almost always rewarded myself with a Free run.

For an additional variety, I would do Wii Zumba and absolutely love it, too.

Then I heard that ea Sports was a little more challenging than Wii Fit, and I was outgrowing it a little, so I decided to try this. This is a little more intense on the strength training side (with resistance bands), more lunges, etc. with a little cardio mixed it. It is very hard for me -- rewarding, but not much "fun." I have decided to try to stick with EA 4 days/ week, and do other things during my "rest" days.

On my "free" day, I decided to build some confidence and to a Wii Fit Free Run, and get back to that runners' high. Well, I huffed and puffed, and could barely make the 10 minute run, which I had been doing fairly easily. My legs felt like lead. I thought maybe I was having an off day, so I tried once again to build some confidence with the Free run, and couldn't make 5.

Now I'm really frustrated. I want to change up my workouts, but I wasn't expecting to go "backwards" just because I added more intense strength training. Has anyone else had this happen to them? If so, what did you do to get motivated? I have made such good progress -- I don't want to lose motivation (and my self confidence, too!)
This discussion has been closed.