Starting P90X Tomorrow! Any Tips I Should Know?

Options
minniebee
minniebee Posts: 193 Member
Well, the title of this post basically says it all. I'm starting P90X tomorrow (May 21, 2011) and just wanted to see if any veterans of the program had any tips or tricks? Or, if you've graduated and don't have anything to say, maybe just telling me what your results were to keep me motivated?

Replies

• emmaleigh47
    emmaleigh47 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Check out my blog for my results....

Modify Modify and Modify ... you do not need to do every minute, every rep, or every exercise.... you will still see results!
  • coolcatcan
    coolcatcan Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Go at your own pace...as your body gets stronger you'll be able to do more and do as they do. I went from a totally out of shape 131 lb person to a fit 110 lb person. I started in February of this year and graduated at the end of April and I reached my goal in those 90 days. I am now able to do more intense workouts such as Insanity and I feel great. You can do it and never give up! Have fun! Good luck!
  • wysmom2000
    wysmom2000 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I'm a Beachbody Coach so I probably shouldn't be saying this but I was not happy with the results I was getting. I had to add more cardio. I felt like it was making me "thick" and not lean like I wanted. I was even doing the lean version of the program. Everyone's results are different and I have friends who are pleased with what they got from it. And don't feel bad if you have to modify or can't complete the whole workout. It took me three tries to do the whole 15 minutes of AbRipperX.
  • minniebee
    Options
    Thank you all for replying! I think I am going to take your advice and begin with the "Lean" version. It has more cardio, and since I'm in a place where I need to be burning fat more than building muscle, I think it would be best. :smile:
  • Kelnurse
    Kelnurse Posts: 145
    Options
    Hi minniebee! I'm a few days shy of starting wk 11 of p90x and can if I could recommend one thing it would be to try and have a p90x buddy to do it with u. I swear that has been what's kept me going with it, my hubby does it too. We have both lost about 20 lbs so far and we plan on finishing the 90 days n then doing another 90 days! Haha. Like the others have said, modify and don't expect to do all the moves right away. Make room for lots of progress. Good luck and lets us know how ur doing with it!
  • reepobob
    reepobob Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Howdy! I graduate P90X Lean this Sunday (first round)...my advice to you in no particular order...

1. Do Classic...I am kicking myself for doing Lean. The strength training will allow your muscles to burn calories at rest and you do Plyometrics, which isn't part of the Lean program.
    2. Use the pause button to take longer breaks when needed and also to do the total amount of required reps AT YOUR PACE. This is especially helpful for Ab Ripper-X.
    3. Ab Ripper-X is coupled with all strength workouts. If Abs are your weak area, I STRONGLY suggest you skip to Ab Ripper-X and do it first THEN do the day's strength routine. Do your weakest area first while you are strongest.
    4. Use a Yoga block for Yoga...sounds simple, but some people don't and find that Yoga is so much better when they use the block.
    5. Don't substitute workouts for something else...feel free to mix up the week's workouts to better fit your schedule (avoid back to back strength days), but don't sub out (for example) Yoga for something else.
    6. On weeks 1-2, 5-6, and weeks 9, 10, and 11, I suggest you do the X-Stretch instead of resting. It really preps you for the next week's round of workouts better. I tend to take a rest day going into recovery week.
    7. Modify the moves, if you need to, but try to do the harder move before you modify. You might suprise yourself when you can actually do it!
    8. Drink a recovery drink when you are done with EVERY workout (with the exception of X-Stretch)
    9. Wear a heart rate monitor for all workouts except X-Stretch
    10. You WILL be VERY sore the first two weeks...push through it. It DOES get easier (but not easy)
    11. Don't worry about what the folks on the videos do. Following the simple mantras of "Do your best and forget the rest" and "Keep pushing play" will get you results.
    12. I did not follow the nutrition plan to the letter, but I DID set up my goals on MFP to match the "Fat Shredder" phase of the nutrition plan and have followed the calorie goals set up by MFP. The nutrition portion of this is integral to success...keep your fat intake low.

Good luck!
  • minniebee
    Options
    Thank you so much! I am definitely going to make sure I drink a recovery drink afterwards, because I don't normally do that in my workout. Also, I have another question, I've been doing 40 minutes to an hour of cardio and weight lifting every day, should I continue it, or should I just do the P90X workouts?
  • emmaleigh47
    emmaleigh47 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    No weight lifting... but it would be ok to continue with extra cardio.
    During this round of P90X I have kept up with halfmarathon training! :)

What kind of recovery drink are you considering? If you havent tried Shakeology ... let me know, I have some great videos on Shakeology!
  • jfoster0711
    jfoster0711 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm not a veteran but I'm starting on Monday, we could encourage each other!
  • minniebee
    Options
    No weight lifting... but it would be ok to continue with extra cardio.
    During this round of P90X I have kept up with halfmarathon training! :)

What kind of recovery drink are you considering? If you havent tried Shakeology ... let me know, I have some great videos on Shakeology!

I've got some standard protein shakes that my sister just brought home from college, so I'm using those for recovery first and once I run out I'll see what else is out there.
  • minniebee
    Options
    I'm not a veteran but I'm starting on Monday, we could encourage each other!

Just sent you a friend request! :happy: