Running my first 5k on Sunday

Options
I am an anti-runner.... who decided to try Couch-2-10k phone app. Now, I just finished week 7, and running 4 minutes and then walking 2 minutes for about 68 minutes (4+ miles). I have been doing this using my iPhone app, and a treadmill at the gym. And I have to say, begrudgingly, I kind of like it :D

So... I signed up for my very first 5k for this Sunday. I plan on using my iPhone app and keeping the same pace (it talks to you and tells you when to run and when to walk... and I can listen to music). I am worried, though, that since I usually do this in a gym, I am totally going to fail or give up and walk most of it.....

Any suggestions for someone doing their very first 5k...with the best of intentions of running the majority of it??

Replies

• kdelost630
    kdelost630 Posts: 199
    Options
    You'd be surprised how well you do running outside of the gym. Assuming the whole course isn't uphill, you'll probably be so excited that you'll have more adrenaline making you want to run more than usual! Just be sure to not start off like a rocket and be dragging the last mile or so. Drink lots of water, but stop one hour before the start. Pee right before you run. It'll be fun! And good luck!! :)
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    Good luck! I am doing my first 10K (without ever having done a 5k, whoops) in 2 weeks...I have mostly been running inside on a treadmill or track, so I am a little nervous too...and I don't have any good suggestions, but I hope you have fun! Let us know how it goes!
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    line up towards the back of the pack and have fun!
  • allie7383
    allie7383 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    :smile: best of luck!! i'm doing my first 5k this sunday as well! fortunately the race is taking place at the park where I run so i'm an expert in the course.. plus it's 99% flat..
  • Famzav8
    Famzav8 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    On the contrary.... I think you'll probably run faster at your 5k. There is so much adrenaline and it is so motivating being surrounded by everyone else. I ran a 5k awhile back and there were 400+ people and i turned off my iPod for the first 10 minutes just because the sound of everyone's shoes hitting the pavement all at the sametime was really cool..... kind of like listening to a thunderstorm. You will do great!!!!
  • sammys1girly
    sammys1girly Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    Hope it goes well!! I am running my first 5K this morning and have a sore knee and dummy me, I did the 30 day shred a couple of days ago and have very sore quads. I am just hoping I can finish it without totally humiliating myself. My friend I am running with has a sinus infection and bronchitis, so we should make a good pair :noway:
  • froglegjack
    froglegjack Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    you are going to have a blast! it will be such an adrenaline rush and the excitement is really thick enough to reach out and take a bite out of it. I just did my first 5k and crossing that finish line is the best feeling in the world!

Do not sprint starting off! LOL you probably WILL be faster though than your training program.
  • RunningAddict
    RunningAddict Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    That's awesome. I have been doing doing the same thing. Just signed up for the 1/2 marathon training app. As long as the course isn't all uphill you will do fine. You may be a little more sore afterwards because pavement is a little more harsh than a treadmill. One awesome thing about a treadmill is that you have to keep pace which keeps you running to the best of your ability. I'm pretty sure you'll fly with colors! Good luck and let us know how it goes!!! :)
  • CountryGrrrrl
    Options
    Its a 5k in the very small town where I teach... starts at the Junior High building and goes through town... LOL
    The students tell me its pretty easy, but these are kids in track, for goodness sake. I have no idea how many people show up, and I've heard most of them walk it. I plan on using my app, and it starts you out walking for 5 minutes, running 4, and then walking 2 until you are done. I am excited and nervous. eeekkk
  • CountryGrrrrl
    Options
    I did it!! Ran 3 miles in 34.4 minutes! Loved every minute of it. I think I am hooked. There's a 10k in August... and a half marathon in September??? omg.... LOL
  • slytat2
    slytat2 Posts: 8
    Options
    What an awesome feeling isnt it? I have been doing 10k just waking them but i try to improve my time a lil more each time. Also i use people in front of me as my goal. Ie...Okay catch up to the hat guy, or the pony tail girls.... then once i catch up i pick my next target......Im hoping to challenge myself to a run ...but right now im training to walk the marathon 26.2 miles CRAZY