Will the Flab go away?

Options
Has anyone had any "flab" experience? My highest weight was 304 lbs. I've lost 70 lbs so far and would really love to see some of the flab melt away along with the pounds, but apparently it is happy destroying my sleeveless shirt hopes and dreams. Is there hope that it will go away with strength training/weights workouts? Any flab help would be greatly appreciated! :tongue:

Replies

• skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    Bump! I would love to hear people's advice about this topic as well.
  • Bellyroll
    Bellyroll Posts: 316
    Options
    Yes it will, but it depends on how quickly your skin reacts to the flab. For example a streatch mark is when your skin is streatching and the Dermis can not keep up and thats how you get those marks (your skin is made up of the Epidermis , the dermis and the hypodermis). Now with the Flab you have an excesse amount of skin and with time it will go back. Some people dont want to wait and thats why they get surgery. If I had the money I would to :) but dont worry it will just give it time and let your body do what it needs to do.
  • LeelaLosing
    LeelaLosing Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    well, age is probably on your side, but having gone up that much is not on your side. time will tell. for me, i'm a serial yo-yo dieter....i've gone up and down 80 lbs twice or three times and after the 2nd time my tummy and upper arms said were not stretching back :-(

it sucks, i've seen a few plastic surgeons and they all say the same thing, it's not bouncing back and i've done serious weight training for years. but genetics, age, how long you were heavy, if you yo-yo'ed a lot, all play a part. it might be too soon to tell for you. some things are certain, losing reasonably (not too quickly) will help, and moisturize alot. and yes, of course weight train, it will help overall, with toning, but not with hanging skin.

the thought of having scars doesn't please me, but what is done is done, i can't change the past but only deal with the present and future and make sure that this time is my last. no more up's and down's :-)

also i was emailing with a great personal trainer on this site and he suggested, as I'm getting closer to my goal weight to start very gradually upping my calories just a little so that I continue to lose fat (and not muscle). he said as my weight loss slows, i need to let my body know it's ok to keep burning fat. he said it took him 5 months to lose the last 15 lbs.but that it will be slow and steady, but almost all fat. and that is key for me, i want to make sure i lose as much fat as i can all the way to the end.
  • LeelaLosing
    Options
    @ bellyroll.....that is just not true for everyone. i was at my goal weight once before and lost it slowly and i still had hanging skin on the tummy and upper arms. it's not that everyone who gets a tummy tuck is impatient. ???
  • LeelaLosing
    Options
    @ bellyroll.....that is just not true for everyone. i was at my goal weight once before and lost it slowly and i still had hanging skin on the tummy and upper arms. it's not that everyone who gets a tummy tuck is impatient. ???
  • Bellyroll
    Options
    I am only talking from the experiances and from what I have seen in the profession I am going into. I do not mean to offend anyone on here.
  • Bellyroll
    Options

Also I dont know if you have tried this but get hot ( well not hot but warm) oil that is good for your skin and message your tummy where you have the excess amount of skin. Do this once a day. Try it for at least 8 weks. It works with some people and not with others but I can say give anything a chance. Let me know how it works for you if you do decide to try it.
  • mpeace1406
    mpeace1406 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Well, I am glad that there is hope that the Flab Fairies will take mine away at some point! I'll have to start giving my skin pep talks and apologizing for making it stretch so much. Maybe that will help. haha
  • LeelaLosing
    Options
    lol....i do that too! i sometimes uses use oil and sometimes 100% coconut butter (from food aisle at whole foods, etc.) which turns into an oil and apologize to my flab too!! and tell it i'm glad it protected me, but i don't need it anymore.....hey, if prayer works to heal people, why not?
  • spiritcrusher
    spiritcrusher Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately at a certain point your skin will stop stretching back. I would give it a good year after you hit your goal weight before you know for sure.

After that, the odds of the skin returning to normal is near impossible.