Resistance or Cardio? What to do now!

Options
micarla1
micarla1 Posts: 41 Member
Hi Everyone,

Just was looking for some advice about my exercise regime. I've lost nearly three stone and only a few pounds to go to target - still not entirely happy with my body yet. I'm quite happy with my size but still need to get ''firmer'' as such!

So my question is now I've got rid of most of weight (I now have 24% body fat percentage) should I focus on more resistance and less cardio? I was thinking of doing just 20 mins cardio 4-5 times a week with about an hour or so resistance work with this. I have been doing it the other way around near enough.

There is so much conflicting stuff out there it gets quite confusing - If i continue to do a lot of cardio will I burn away my muscle Ive been strengthening along with the fat? Is it also possible to get smaller/tigheter without losing weight but just good nutrition and exercise as I have got to the point where if i lose much more my face and chest will look too gaunt! However those inner thighs and bingo wings are still persistant on staying pahaha!

Any ideas would be great thanks :)

Replies

• anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    If,
    "I'm quite happy with my size but still need to get ''firmer'' as such!

So my question is now I've got rid of most of weight (I now have 24% body fat percentage) should I focus on more resistance and less cardio?"

Then, yes. You can cut back a bit on the cardio and incorporate lifting heavy to strengthen muscle and get more definition. You may not be able to build muscle mass on a calorie deficit, but your muscles will definitely be stronger and firmer. But since you're closer to your goal weight, I would say it would be a better idea for you to increase your calorie intake a bit to maybe lose 0.5 lb/week, and utilize HIIT routines for cardio and alternate days of strength training in between.

I'm not sure how you've arranged your nutritional ratio, but perhaps increasing your protein a bit will also be beneficial to muscle repair, post-workout.
  • shreddingit
    shreddingit Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    If u wanna be firmer and less body fat there needs to be more resistance training and less cardio....
    thigh fat is last to go....
  • micarla1
    micarla1 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Thank you, thats some great advice - I have already been trying to gradually increase my calorie intake and as a rule I lose just 1lb or 1.5 every 2 weeks - it seems to come off fortnightly! I love the resistance work so much more too! now its time to make some exciting circuits :) Thank you!