Lost 17 lbs since re-joining but I don't feel it!

Options
So I saw a friend who had not seen me since I rejoined MFP in late February. She was freaking out about how skinny I am and asking how I am doing it etc. I have lost 17 lbs since then, which sounds amazing when I type it!! But I don't feel it. I still feel fat and flabby.

It is really hard to keep up the hard work when I don't feel any different, though I clearly have lost quite a bit of weight considering I started at only 164 lbs and am now down to 147 according to the scale yesterday, though I truly don't think it could be right so I didn't log it yet.

Does anyone else have this problem of losing and not feeling any different when you see the mirror? When will I notice? Ugh...

Feeling unmotivated by this lack of self recognition.

Replies

• MrsMuffinRun
    Options
    Hi I've lost 13 pounds but I don't feel hugely different. But there's a point at which I know it will start to show (been through this all before!) and I am about 4 pounds away from that point. Don't get me wrong, I feel better than I did, but I don't think anyone else would notice that much at the moment. The important thing is to recognise that you are much healthier without all that weight you have lost so far and the further down the scale you get, the more you will notice it in the mirror. I checked my BMI this morning and I have moved back into the healthy range now, so even if I don't look massively different yet, at least I know that it's a positive result for my health. Anyway, if your friend has noticed, you must look slimmer so maybe it's a mindset?
  • new_view
    new_view Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Yea I think my big downer is that I know it is bathing suit season and despite my hard work I still don't feel like wearing one :(
    My goal is to be comfy in my bathing suit and that is when I will know I have reached my goal no matter what the weight is.
    My friends noticing does make me know that I must look different now so that is comforting. Perhaps it is time to look at my before pix vs my current pics. I really didn't want to do that until I hit 140 but maybe it would be noticeable enough to give me a boost.
  • Gemini_1980
    Gemini_1980 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I can definitely relate. I have lost 10 lbs with MFP and 32 lbs total down from my highest weight. Other people have noticed my weight loss more than I have. When I look in the mirror I do not see the change yet. I notice it more when my clothes are sagging from being to big for me now. I can tell you that I took a picture of myself in the mirror last week (my profile picture) and that is the first time that I saw the change in myself. I actually looked smaller in my eyes. It took me taking a picture of myself looking in the mirror before I saw the change. I finally saw some of the results from all of my hard work. I still have a ways to go but I tell you maybe looking at some old pictures and comparing with a current one will do the trick. It did wonders for me :) Hang in there because you have already had some awesome results and your progress is phenomenal. You will get there soon to where you will recognize the new you:bigsmile:
  • andrewolf79
    Options
    well done girl...but yeah i share the feeling i have lost only 12lb in 4 weeks , witch i'm happy with, but i still don't see it yet!!! i can feel the improvement cos i dropped one size in toruses and the shirt neck now closes with out being real tight... but i need another 12lb off ....at least... to actually see the difference on my body!!!! & than another 12 to be happy i guess.... my goal is 72kg from the nearly 90 i was!!!! how about u??... stay focus u doing a good job!! and keep going for smaller trousers...puts a smile on ur face when u drop a size!!! lol...
  • new_view
    new_view Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Yea I think its time for some picture comparisons. My overall goal is 130-135 lbs whichever I feel happier with.

The other crappy thing is I am a broke college girl who doesn't have money for all the new clothes! So despite wanting to reward myself with a new smaller pair of pants...I can't lol.

So baggy clothes it is!
  • MrsMuffinRun
    Options
    Defo not ready the swimming suit either. Then again, 40, 2 kids - I might still not fancy it after the weight is off. lol.