Meal Timings

Options
Adynata
Adynata Posts: 128 Member
Hey guys, I'm quite new to this site. Had a pretty bad slip up during the final crunch time for my uni work in the last couple of weeks - exercise levels down, convenient food creeping in, end of year celebrations etc. However, I'm getting back on track now, and I want to make a better go at it than I did before.

I know everyone says that you're supposed to eat smaller meals more frequently throughout the day, but I've never really heard more information on exactly what counts as a 'smaller meal'. Are you supposed to break up what you would eat in a standard three meal a day portion throughout the day? Also, what kind of time spaces are you supposed to work with, and how many of these small meals should I be eating? I'm not expecting anyone to write up some sort of strict timetable for me, but I would really appreciate someone giving me a rough guide to the size and frequency of meals I should be aiming at a day.

I'm 20 years old, 6 foot tall, and currently weighing 238lbs. My target weight is 160lbs, and I don't have a time limit to be working with as long as the progress keeps coming. Thanks in advance, everyone =]

Replies

• bigredhearts
    bigredhearts Posts: 428
    Options
    personally i would say to always eat breakfast, and small meals i use as a guideline, for instant i eat breakfast, and then a snack, like a fiber bar or piece of fruit, then i eat lunch, then another snack, dinner, and then snack. as long as your calories are spread out id say you have a much better chance of keeping your metabolism running well throughout the day :) and as long as those food choices are nutritional, and full of vitamins, fiber and proteins, you should be able to make your calorie limit work for you AND eat "smaller" meals throughout the day
  • megruder
    megruder Posts: 216
    Options
    I typically eat something about every 3 hrs, give or take if I'm hungry yet or not. I've heard and read numerous places that it's recommended to have a carb and protein each time you eat. Has something to do with the way the body burns the macro-nutrients differently and I believe the protein makes you feel satisfied quickly while the carb keeps that sated feeling longer or vice-verse. I try to make sure the carb includes some fiber as that helps me feel fuller longer. A meal is usually a chicken breast sandwich and some veggies or egg whites and toast. A snack might be small amount of almonds and a piece of fruit or string cheese and a FiberOne bar. My dinner meal usually has a little more substance like chicken stir-fry since it follows my evening workout. I hope this helps.
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    just eat what you want when you want.

there is no proof either way that eating more frequently boosts metabolism. you can theoretically eat once a day and as long as you were under your calories you'd lose weight.

just divide up equally the calories...like if you want to eat 1500 cals a day, and have 5 small meals then eat only 300 cals a meal. simple
  • Wimpey
    Wimpey Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Eating regularly will help maintain your blood sugar and insulin production under control, witch has the benefit to help regulate how fat is "burned" rather than stored.
    Plus it will keep you generally alert, functional and, if you are anything like me, not grouchy! ;-)

I think timing of meals is key! Fuel up in the morning, top up after any exercise and your engine will be running.

You are aiming at a small deficit and MFP calculates it for you, so make your body use the calories in a efficient way as you go through the day to maximise your weight loss by fuelling the lean body within and burning the fat stores.

Good luck!