frustrated at eating too much during PMS

Options
I have had this trouble for years, but its starting to make it hard to keep to losing weight. When I am experiencing PMS, I get depressed and I wind up eating too much junk food, like candy or ice cream. I also have trouble with eating at night during this time too. Its really starting to get on my nerves, because I want to lose weight so badly.

I will go to the health club and exercise to the point of exhaustion to try and burn off what I have ate, but I still am mad at myself. Everyday I look in the mirror, I feel disgusted at myself for eating too much for a couple days out of the month.
What should I do?

Jessie

Replies

• BeastieGirl
    BeastieGirl Posts: 76
    Options
    Hi,

I have a similar problem in that I feel pretty down and de-motivated once a month. It's also the time when I tend to crave chocolate, which I'm usually not too bothered about.

It's hard, but at least you know when it's coming, so you can try to prepare for it. I try to keep myself occupied. I stick to my usual exercise routine, but I also arrange to do the things that make me happy, which in my case is seeing good friends, being with my family and going for long walks. I kinow it may be different for you, but be prepared for it and try to distract yourself. If you can, share your worries with a trusted person, who can offer you support as well and not just dismiss your concerns.

Good luck!

4819602.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • bigredhearts
    bigredhearts Posts: 428
    Options
    i agree with beastie about being prepared, and if you can maybe try to keep those food options out of the house, sort of an out of sight out of mind thing :)
  • laleata1299
    laleata1299 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi, Jesse:
    I understand totally. I just had a chocolate chip cookie binge yesterday, and I felt pretty bad about it, especially since I was doing so well up to that point. But I'm learning that beating myself up about it will ironically only enforce myself to do it again. The worse you do, the worse you feel, the worse you do, etc...it turns into a nasty cycle. Instead, tell yourself: it's okay, I forgive me. I can do this, I just need to learn from today so it won't happen again. Next month, I know PMS is coming, so what I can do is exercise, drink more water, find a healthier food alternative to the foods I crave, etc. But the most important part is that you allow yourself to make a mistake. It's how we learn. It becomes a problem when we don't learn from it. But if you read yourself the riot act every time you have a bad day, you'll actually self sabotage your weight loss plan. I truly believe that once you start forgiving, accepting, and encouraging yourself, you'll find yourself flying through this. That's what I believe for myself. Remember, today is a new day. One thing I love about myfitnesspal is that every morning I look on my profile and see 0 calories. That means I get to start over. Yesterday's mistakes stays back there in yesterday. We can do this, Jesse. We're going to make it. We're just going to prepare for that pothole next month and keep cruising! :-)
  • b0ink83
    b0ink83 Posts: 10
    Options
    I suppose it's body's way of telling us that it need more energy for period to happen. Treat it as carb loading week, cos you will need all that energy to go through all that discomfort for a few days!! Of cos, to make self feel less guilty - train. It is proven that exercises reduces PMS and one always feel better after a good sweat.

My sin - finish a bottle of Nutella within a day or two. >_<