Running and the last 16 lbs

Options
I've so far lost 34 lbs in the past year (well, technically the last 10 months, as I've had 2 months off the gym) and the past month I have not lost any. :(

I am meeting my calorie goals and often exceeding them, but this month nothing has come off... I have only lost 1/2 inch around my waist and an inch on my hips...

I need to get trim in four weeks, so hoping to lose at least another inch... I'd like to teach abroad next year and the country I wanna go to, I have heard only tend to hire very lean people.

My waist is about 30 inches and my hips are 34... I'm aiming for a 26 inch waist by next year...

Is running going to slow down my weight loss, or do I need to eat even less and throw even more exercise in to my routine?

I currently walk home from work 30 minutes five days a week and run 4-5 miles three times a week, plus gym twice, for 30 minutes on the cross trainer. Obviously, my mileage is increasing with running as I'm aiming for a half marathon.

I know it sounds silly... But I feel really deflated by the past month. I know I've been away a few times, but surely that would not throw my whole diet off. I eat 1400-1700 a day typically.

Replies

• rosiesparkle100
    Options

I need to get trim in four weeks, so hoping to lose at least another inch... I'd like to teach abroad next year and the country I wanna go to, I have heard only tend to hire very lean people.

As teachers??? What country is this?!
  • mfpchris
    mfpchris Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Hello,

Congrats on your success so far. Diet and exercise bring about weight loss.
    BUT....and this is a big one, there is a much greater ability to have an impact on
    ones weight with modifying food intake, than modifying exercise.

It sounds like you are relatively active, great. You can try to pull a Dean Karnazes
    and run a marathon every day for fifty straight days, but, when Dean did it he
    didn't lose weight.

I recommend becoming much more careful on MFP logging exact weights and sizes
    of your food intake. (If it is super important to have this weight loss in a fixed time
    frame) Count your calories each day with great care and precision.

That's first. Second reduce your daily total a little bit, you'll see your weight drop.

Then adjust the intake so your weight loss matches your schedule. It really is about
    the foods for most normal, healthy, active people.
  • Peacebone
    Peacebone Posts: 21 Member
    Options

As teachers??? What country is this?!
    Either South Korea, or Taiwan... I've been told by people who have taught there that you need to be slim to stand a chance to get a job and by a couple of women that women are supposed to be slim there and that when she put on a bit of weight, it was commented on a lot. Obviously, caucasian people are genetically less petite than people from that region...

It's just what I've heard mind...