Traditional workout vs. insanity/P90K

Options
rocklion
rocklion Posts: 69 Member
I have a question about this, and would like some more understanding on this. Maybe I'm missing the boat, and perhaps someone can explain this to me in a way I'll be able to understand it better. And first off, I'd like to say I am not trying to start an argument or flame war. I'd just like a legitimate dialogue about the benefits of certain programs.

But here's my question, why is there so much hype and interest in doing programs such as Insanity and P90K or Boot Camps compared to just doing a traditional workout program, ie cardio and weighlifting?

My own thoughts are I just don't see how it can work over the long term. It doesn't seem sustainable. The same thing can be said about some of the programs personal trainers put people through in order to make their money. There have been studies that show a majority of people quit exercising after six months if they do exercises with a personal trainer. Just an anecdotal side, and nothing based on science, but I saw a woman with a personal trainer in the gym riding a bike with a medicine ball over her head for 10 minutes. What's the point of this? I don't have a clue. All I know is that she's not going to want to ride a bike with a ball over her head the rest of her life.

But back to the fad workouts. I don't understand how these are so much better for you. In the short term, yes. In the long term? You do intense workouts burning a lot of calories each time. You burn so many calories you lose fat and at the same time you start building some muscle and increasing your metabolism. But what happens once you quit your 90 day programs? You keep doing these the rest of your life? You get down to your targeted weight and all of a sudden your happy because your at the weight you want?

But you haven't learned how to eat right and at some point you stop doing your intense workout videos. You haven't hit the gym or ran the pavement, so you don't know how much intensity to do on those workouts. It seems to me that doing a program such as this will lead to two things: instant gratification and ultimately creeping up in weight.

I say this because I myself have went through a boot camp. And not a fad boot camp. Real boot camp. I spent three years in the U.S. Army in Ranger Battalion, an elite special operations group. We did a tremendous amount of exercise and always had to make up our caloric deficit by eating. A lot. At some points, we'd have to go get seconds in the chow line because we did so much physical activity.

Then I got out. I never learned anything of nutrition, i wasn't doing as much physical activity. I started creeping up in weight. I didn't even notice it at first. I wasn't getting on a scale everyday. by the time I did, I found out that I had went from 180 to 220 in about a year. I was getting too much of momma's home cooking and not thinking about it. Within a matter of years, I ballooned up to 270. A lot of that fault was not caring on my part and just telling myself I was too busy with college, etc. But the fact remains, I was ignorant of good nutrition and knowing how to workout. Over the last year, I've dropped a total of 34 pounds and now am under 200 for the first time in 16 years. But I did what I've read the good thing to do it. I started out slow doing 20 minutes a day on an eliptical and just working my way up. Now I've increased my workouts tremendously from just the eliptical to running to swimming to biking. Throwing in a lot of variety and also incorporating weight lifting. Now I'm burning fat at a good level and a year and a half later and have went from liking working out to loving working out and am far from quitting.

I'm not saying doing what I'm doing is the answer for everyone and everything. But it just seems to me a better way of doing business is finding the things you enjoy doing in the gym or outdoor that's physical and taking advantage of them. If you love what you are doing, go for it. But it seems more sustainable to do it gradually over time, educating yourself every step of the way and finding out what you need to be doing when you do get to your goal weight so you can keep it there and even improve and work on weaknesses when you are there.

But those are my thoughts. If you have some of your own thoughts that are contrary to what I've said, I'd be more than happy to hear them. Like I said before, maybe there's something I'm missing or just don't get about these programs.

Replies

• Gilbrod
    Gilbrod Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Well said. I find that lots of people get to their target wieght and stop excerising. My wife has been through 2 kids, and still looks like she did when I first married her. Her secret? She runs 3 miles every other day, and Zumbas twice a week. She eats very well as well, and I have joined her in her crusade to make me fit again. I have never used a personal trainer, nor any programs, and in 2.5 months time, I have lost 25lbs just eating right and working out. The pavement is a good friend to have when there is no time for the gym. Since the rapture didn't occur, I now have more time to lose more wieght. Thanks for the service in the Army as well. God bless!
  • someblackgirl
    Options
    if I may offer an opinion...i think your success in getting in shape depends on whether or not you can change your entire way of life. that is, when it comes to eating and physical activity. you're right for questioning long term success from short term results. I've done crash diets and grueling workouts. I did lose a good amount of weight, but I didn't learn how to keep it off. so I gained it all back. now, I just apply the calories in/calories burned rules to my everyday routine. I'm still adjusting to it, but it's working. so I won't lose 50 lbs in 2 months. oh well. I will get where I want to be soon enough.
  • CCJ13
    CCJ13 Posts: 165 Member
    Options

But here's my question, why is there so much hype and interest in doing programs such as Insanity and P90K or Boot Camps compared to just doing a traditional workout program, ie cardio and weighlifting?

I finished Power 90 a couple of weeks ago. It is cardio & weight lifting :) You aren't supposed to stop working out after your 90 days are over. You can keep doing it or move onto something else. I am doing P90 master series now and my goal is to eventually do P90X. It has taught me alot about exercise. And there is alot of information about nutrition with the program. And this is something I enjoy. I love P90. I hate going to the gym.
  • elzettel
    elzettel Posts: 256
    Options
    But back to the fad workouts. I don't understand how these are so much better for you. In the short term, yes. In the long term? You do intense workouts burning a lot of calories each time. You burn so many calories you lose fat and at the same time you start building some muscle and increasing your metabolism. But what happens once you quit your 90 day programs? You keep doing these the rest of your life? You get down to your targeted weight and all of a sudden your happy because your at the weight you want?

I don't know that I think these programs are so much better for you...I say if something motivates you to get moving then it is a good thing. I've gotten halfway thru Insanity and it is intense. Is it something I can do regularly for the rest of my life...no. I will (and do) incorporate the dvd's into my life/workouts. I didn't start it to loose much (mainly tone up) since I am right about where I want to be. I did notice increased staminia which helped with running (my main form of exercise) and just feeling stronger. I'm kind of suspect of anything from an infomercial (my copy was given to me). The intensity of the workouts forced me to really pay attention to what I was eating (so I had the energy to make it thru a workout) which was educational for me. I think these programs are helpful for a boost but agree that if you aren't eating well and being active then it doesn't matter what you do.
  • rocklion
    Options
    Nice explanation elzettel. I don't know much about the nutrition side of these workouts. I admit I'm ignorant. I'll have too look more closely at them. The only thing I'd worry about is if they are food specific and aimed directly for those programs and if they are still sustainable if you end the program. As I said, I'm ignorant on it, so they may be.

One thing I can find beneficial is if you do end the programs and then start going toward a more traditional program then there are probably plenty of those workouts you can fit into your training program without watching a DVD. I incorporate a lot of Crossfit exercises into my workouts.
  • hamncheese67
    hamncheese67 Posts: 1,715 Member
    Options
    Here's my opinion on the matter. I don't think the intent of progrms such as P90X and Insanity is for me people to go 90 or 60 days and quit. Beachbody who sells those products wants people to stay on long term and buy their programs and supplements. I haven't tried those two programs, but I am doing Power 90 right now and what I like about it is that it gives structure and it's something I can get up in the morning and do and not have to go to a gym. These programs are appealing because they provide structure and variety which is difficult (IMO) to come by on your own. I honestly wouldn't know how to mix up my routine on my own so it wouldn't be monotonous. Running/biking a few times a week mixed in with strength training isn't all the appealing. These at home programs appeal to me because I don't have to have monthly gym costs or take the extra time to get to the gym.

Based on what I see over at the Beach Body message boards, a number of people continue for more than one or try other programs so it's not a 90 days and done experience. And often these programs come with nutrition guidelines and talk about the importance of keeping up activity beyond the program.
  • tross0924
    tross0924 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    I've never followed the nutrition program for P90X. I use MFP and set my carb/protein/fat ratios based on what's worked for me and makes me feel good. I lost 60 lbs just though dieting before I started working out. And like you I started slow, riding a bike for 30 minutes, and gradually increasing the time and intensity. After I'd gotten up to about an hour on the bike I started P90X.

The real secrets to the success of P90X is that it IS a regular work out. Yes, you follow someone on a DVD doing the exercises, but how is that different than downloading a list of exercises and doing them in a gym? I know lots of guys that go the gym 5 days a week. They do the same exercises, in the same order so that they work out the bigger muscle groups first before they move onto the smaller ones and get the whole muscle group fatigued. Then the other days the run, or bike, or do the elliptical. Other than the drive to the gym, P90X is the exact same thing.

Now personally I don't buy into the whole muscle confusion thing, I don't think my muscles are stupid enough to be confused that I'm doing bicep curls one arm at a time while standing when last month it was both arms while squatting. To work a muscle group you contract and lengthen the muscle group repeatedly under a load. The "confusion" comes when you increase the load or the number of reps.

As for the carido days I'm not a big fan of the P90X stuff. So instead I run, or bike, or even jog in place if it's 20 degrees outside. Do I plan on moving into the gym someday? probably, but only cause I'm tired of doing 300 push-ups in an hour wearing a 50 lbs vest, when I could do fewer bench presses with higher weight, but since I'm currently at 200 wearing a 25 lbs vest I've got some time before I do.
  • INSANITY43
    INSANITY43 Posts: 142
    Options
    Hi....I did the 60 day INSANITY challenge with my 17 year old daughter...I was s..l...o...w...l...y getting to the place where I wanted/needed to be more health conscious and was ready to do something about it. Loved INSANITY...the challenge....the sense of competition with myself. I understand your thoughts about these "programs" ...definitely NOT a 60 day and you arrive and get to stay there....BUT they are a good jump-start. I completed the 60 days with only one missed workout! Took my "rest" day and started all over for another 30 days. Now I'm mixing INSANITY workout's with a Bob Harper strength training DVD. See I live at least 20 plus miles from the nearest gym so that really isn't an option for me. Our Spring/summer is FINALLY arriving here in the Northeast...so I'm looking forward to start running outside/walking/gardening/etc. However, I will keep throwing in several INSANITY workouts....as they tone and increase endurance. Not sure about P90X but I know that SeanT of INSANITY is constantly saying this is a "life" change....I feel the same way about MFP...once someone hits their ultimate goal and stops logging...chances are very great *in my opinion* that unless they have totally changed their thought process about eating/foods/nutrion the weight will return...so that's my input on these programs....
  • rocklion
    Options
    Thanks all. Really do appreciate the thoughts on it. This really helped me see how there can be benefits. It helps add some variety and I can understand that.

And I can definitely understand the thoughts of a lot on "I don't like going to the gym." I don't either. And I try to limit that as much as possible. I've gotten to where I like going in and lifting the weights. I switch up what I do as far as cardio in the gym by changing up often between eliptical, running, bike, stair climber and swimming. Just the other day I put myself through a mini trathlon. A 15 minute swim, 15 minute run and 15 minute stationary bike.

But on top of all that, I am also very outdoorsy. A big reason I started working out in the first place. I do trail running, hiking and mountain biking. I am big into variety and think its the spice of life.

But to each his own, and we are all on one path. I really hope we all get there and stay.

Thanks for the input.