?&#@!@#$@!#!@$@#%$#$%$T^&#$(

Options
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!! :explode:

I don't know what I am doing wrong!
I've maintained (through some not so healthy eating, and not much exercise), BUT I started an intense workout routine (using my HRM) and have been under my calories (exercise cals under sometimes between 100-200) ALL week.....

What does it get me.... A 2lb gain!!!!!!

WTH!!!!

Replies

• ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Options

I've maintained (through some not so healthy eating, and not much exercise), BUT I started an intense workout routine (using my HRM) and have been under my calories (exercise cals under sometimes between 100-200) ALL week.....

WTH!!!!
  • diannholland1965
    diannholland1965 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Due to the fact that you said INTENSE, I assume that you have gained MUSCLE! Which is more dense then fat.
    Wait a bit, You will see a drop in lbs a few weeks from now.
    In the mean time just to prove my point.
    Stand facing a chair. Now take one leg and put it on the chair like you are going to step up on that chair.
    Take you finger and poke the top of you leg... Right there above your knee...
    Do you feel that hard mass of non wiggly stuff?????
    What my dear is MUSCLE and THAT is where the gain came from.
    FEAR NOT THAT IS A GOOD THING!!!!!!!!! :bigsmile:
    --Diann...
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    Oh, please-- I'm right there with you. I've done the $%@! Shred challenge five blinkin' days this week, and I have a 1.5 pound gain to show for it. Aarrrggghhhhhhhhhh.

If this flippin' humidity doesn't break soon, too, I'm going to harm someone. :explode: I'm good for at least a 3 pound loss when these stinkin' tropical humid air mass crapola thingies leave my area. My body totally shuts down with the humidity. I hold water, I get short of breath, I'm completely exhausted and nothing-- I mean NOTHING leaves my body. I feel like crap.

I'm staying on target, though-- I know EVENTUALLY something will move back in the right direction. But, this ticks me off. :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry, girl. I know how you feel. I've been going through some difficulty myself.

Here I was, bubbling along at about a 3/4 lb loss per week for about 6 weeks then ---

:angry: SSSCHRRREEEEEEEEECHHHH!! The brakes went on. FOR TEN DAYS!!!

I couldn't figure it out.
    Last Saturday, we went to a RibFest downtown. Although I didn't go over my calories, I ate 6 bones.
    I also had a chocolate chip cookie, a Bud Lite, and two ounces of cheese puffs - but I also ate my breakfast and dinner which were portion and ingredient controlled. Since then, I've had a hard time staying under my calories. Here they are broken down:

Sunday - 93 cals over, Monday -57 cals over, Tuesday and Wednesday I was UNDER by 100 cals each day, Thursday - 115 over, Friday - 60 calories over.

What gives? Is my body naturally creating calorie shifting? I'm tempted to say yes. I HOPE SO!!
    Only because I really don't trust myself, nor do I have the time to do the math and make sure I'm shifting in the proper amounts. I'm thinking that perhaps, JUST MAYBE, the extra calories I'm eating are making up for the days where I'm deliberately leaving too large a deficit.

In any event, the plateau is over, and maybe the shifting that has occurred over the last week is the cause of it. I also have to keep in mind that the plateau may not be BROKEN (as in - there's more loss to follow). I'm just happy with this next pound gone.

Here are some other facts that may have assisted in the plateau being broken:

1. I did a colon cleanse, three days ago.:embarassed:

2. I did a HIIT workout two days ago. I mean, I hit that b**tch HARD.:smile:

3. My food yesterday bordered on PERFECTION. I ate a lot of very 'clean' food. Unadulterated by oils, breading, etc. I had a Seafood Alfredo Linguini Stir Fry for lunch, but it was a normal amount. I had bran cereal and fruit for breakfast, hard boiled egg, fruit and veggies, 6 cashews and half a granola bar for snacks, Tilapia and a salad, and a piece of 12 grain wheat bread spread with Hummus for dinner, and fruit for a snack with some homemade non-fat fruit dip.

All I can tell you is to have patience.
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    Well, we're on such a tight budget with my hubby in the mortgage business and all the nightmares that entails. There simply isn't money in the budget for anything "good." Cheapest food is what we need right now-- so I'm living on white flour, white bread, pasta, crackers. I'm counting calories, but just about everything I eat is crap. I tend to have a bowl of cereal rather than the boxed crap (mac and cheese, hamburger helper, et cetera) that I feed the kids. Fresh veggies are too expensive right now for such a large family, frozen veggies are no picnic either financially, and canned stuff is icky and full of sodium. We buy "good" stuff on payday, and we blow through it in 2-3 days and live until payday again, another 10-11 days, eating crap.

Can't complain-- better than starving, and I'm at least sticking to my calorie count so weight will eventually come off. But, what I'd do for a big salad right now. OH my.
  • GoGetterMom
    GoGetterMom Posts: 852 Member
    Options

WTH!!!!

Don't get discouraged. You CAN work through it. You ARE going to have a great weekend and it will pass. With intense workouts - you will gain muscle, but just remember the muscle burns more calories than fat!! :happy: PS...LOVE the bunnies
  • dothompson
    dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    I've noticed that when I increase my exercise my body will retain water in response. I imagine that is probably an appropriate response since it needs more water to recover from the exercise. I would predict that you will see this come off in a week or so as your body adjusts.
  • ChubbyBunny
    Options
    I am just annoyed.

I know that muscle weighs more then fat and the annoying thing is I carry more muscle then most (hence why I only weigh what I do and not a lot more...I've been the same weight since I graduated high school....minus pregnancy....just different sizes) I build the damn stuff fast too! It just gets to me! I know muscle weight is important for weight loss but when your goal is to weigh LESS even muscle is depressing.

I just wanted to hit 10lbs lost so I could buy those sexy little shoes to show off on my fiance's leave. :brokenheart:
  • GoGetterMom
    Options
    I am just annoyed.

I know that muscle weighs more then fat and the annoying thing is I carry more muscle then most (hence why I only weigh what I do and not a lot more...I've been the same weight since I graduated high school....minus pregnancy....just different sizes) I build the damn stuff fast too! It just gets to me! I know muscle weight is important for weight loss but when your goal is to weigh LESS even muscle is depressing.

I just wanted to hit 10lbs lost so I could buy those sexy little shoes to show off on my fiance's leave. :brokenheart:

Deployments are tough, but HE may need to see you in those shoes more than you do... My body retains A LOT OF MUSCLE too (I'm 5'7" and can buck 110 pound bales no problem.)

You can do it!!! Keep your water intake up, try not to add salt or use processed foods with salt (try to find no salt added) and whole foods.

How long before deployment?
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    Sweetie, you have to wait more then 1 week for results. You really do. Starting a new routine will throw your body for a loop, and it won't start doing things we expect it to do for a few weeks. That means the chemistry right now is a little messed up, and you're muscles are probably panicking and retaining extra water. Give it a few weeks to settle down, I'm sure it will even out. You'll probably see a 5 or 6 lb drop after like 3 weeks or a month or so.
  • ChubbyBunny
    Options
    I am just annoyed.

Deployments are tough, but HE may need to see you in those shoes more than you do... My body retains A LOT OF MUSCLE too (I'm 5'7" and can buck 110 pound bales no problem.)

You can do it!!! Keep your water intake up, try not to add salt or use processed foods with salt (try to find no salt added) and whole foods.

He's actually gone already and has been since August. He comes home for 4 days before its overseas til.....well...whenever....
  • ChubbyBunny
    Options
    Sweetie, you have to wait more then 1 week for results. You really do. Starting a new routine will throw your body for a loop, and it won't start doing things we expect it to do for a few weeks. That means the chemistry right now is a little messed up, and you're muscles are probably panicking and retaining extra water. Give it a few weeks to settle down, I'm sure it will even out. You'll probably see a 5 or 6 lb drop after like 3 weeks or a month or so.

I know....I'd been working out before....It didn't seem that huge of a jump workout wise. I didn't think it would shock anything. :frown: I will keep it up cause I am committed to at LEAST 90 days of this routine...if not more.... I just got bummed since I'd only lost 6 lbs and I've been a member since May and then to gain back 2..... It's just depressing.

Thanks Banks, I'll keep it up and review stuff you've posted and suggestions, it may help take some of the sting out. :cry:
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options

WTH!!!!

Try not to be under in your calories. Try to be bang on, or slightly over. It honestly makes a difference, in my experience anyway. Also the sudden intense workouts could have shocked your body. Maybe its clinging to those calories. Don't worry, those 2 pounds can't stay for long. :flowerforyou:
  • ChubbyBunny
    Options

WTH!!!!

Try not to be under in your calories. Try to be bang on, or slightly over. It honestly makes a difference, in my experience anyway. Also the sudden intense workouts could have shocked your body. Maybe its clinging to those calories. Don't worry, those 2 pounds can't stay for long. :flowerforyou:

Thanks, I am gonna try to get more calories in.
    Also, my water could be higher.
    Just...frustrated with lack of much progress..... :grumble:
  • girldeese
    Options
    I am feeling the same way!....And in my mind I know it takes a few weeks, but at the same time...I don't want to wait a few weeks!!! I wish my body could comprehend this!! But I am doing my best to stick it out, so know you are not in your boat alone!!:mad:
  • GoGetterMom
    Options
    I am just annoyed.

He's actually gone already and has been since August. He comes home for 4 days before its overseas til.....well...whenever....

I know how that goes. You will have an awesome 4 days and it will be wonderful. Be proud of yourself - you are doing AWESOME! Proud of you & honored he's serving our country!!! :heart: :happy: :flowerforyou:
  • carvan
    carvan Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    ChubbyBunny: Did you take your measurements before you started the x? If you haven't, do it now, then retake them at the end of your first month of the program, and every month thereafter. You will see a difference, I know I did.

It has only been a week, your body is readjusting. As others have said, it is most probably muscle, which will burn more fat. Plus the muscles do take less room in your body, hence the reason for the measurements. HTH

BTW how are you enjoying the workouts so far? The first week is a total learning curve, but it does get easier and better.

Carol
  • ChubbyBunny
    Options
    ChubbyBunny: Did you take your measurements before you started the x? If you haven't, do it now, then retake them at the end of your first month of the program, and every month thereafter. You will see a difference, I know I did.

It has only been a week, your body is readjusting. As others have said, it is most probably muscle, which will burn more fat. Plus the muscles do take less room in your body, hence the reason for the measurements. HTH

BTW how are you enjoying the workouts so far? The first week is a total learning curve, but it does get easier and better.

Carol

The workouts....
    That's just the thing...I have a few sore muscles, but not many and not that sore.
    I mean it's still tough to follow and do all of it, so there is room for improvement. I sweat a lot....but...not a lot of pain and stuff like I was warned about.
  • ChubbyBunny
    Options
    :explode:
  • AJCM
    AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Oh Chubby Bunny - I feel your pain girl - I've basically been losing the same 2lbs since mid June.
    :flowerforyou:

FRUSTRATING AS H*LL!!!

Vent all you want...
    :explode: