Maintain muscle mass while loosing weight?

Options
I'm about 35 pounds over my goal weight however I would like to maintain my current lean body weight. I will be lifting 3 times a week and have set up my goals to loose 2 pounds a week. Does any one out there have any input if this is doable or any advise?

Replies

• ppiinnkkmmoonn
    Options
    i do know when you lose weight it impossible not to lose some muscle mass BUT the great thing about that muscle is rebuild-able always! and ive seen some guys able to lose weight and gain muscle at th same time kind make sense many told me it was tuff
  • RaeannePemberton
    RaeannePemberton Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Watch your protein, but I am sure you know this... :-) Other than that I hope some other bulking guys on here can offer you some sound advice.
  • pftjill
    pftjill Posts: 488
    Options
    If you are doing cardio you will lose some mass. There is no going around it. The best thing to do is work out in hypertrophy range and build up some for the first month or two. Then you have some room to lose a little and can lift in the endurance range to lose some lbs. Some of those will be lean mass, but a lot of fat mass too!! Not really any possible way of not losing it, unless you are just lifting and doing very very very little cardio.
  • C_Bran
    C_Bran Posts: 254
    Options
    <
    I'm actually a guy

This works for me.......

I do a protein roughly an hour before my workout and one within 5 mins post workout and eat relatively clean the remainder of the day. I try to end my eating with some sort of fish and go to bed with a Casein Protein shake for days that I feel super spent.

I have lost and I have changed my body composition. As I stated before, THIS IS WHAT WORKS FOR ME. It may not work for you. I can also share with you the workout I do as well. My workout is geared towards muscle stamina and not muscle growth.....even though I'm seeing muscle growth....or maybe fat loss.
  • Dawntodusk
    Dawntodusk Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    The jury is out, it appears. Some say no and some say yes. I've read a lot of articles, and it seems that the more you have to lose, the easier it is to maintain muscle, but as you approach your goal, you will probably lose some. I am in a somewhat similar situation except that I only have 11 more pounds to lose, so have reduced my goal to losing 1/2 lb per week (hopefully all fat). I eat a lot of protein. I had a skin fold test done and a bioimpedance analysis also so that I know what my starting fat/muscle mass was. I'm going to monitor it that way. We'll see...
  • quirozr22
    quirozr22 Posts: 2
    Options
    Hi,

I was just thinking the same kind of thing after an argument with my wife about aging. I read some interesting and hopeful information that you might also find relevant. good luck>

Here is the link: http://www.combat-aging.com/index.html

Rob