What to wear at the Pool in the Gym

Purple_Orchid_87
Purple_Orchid_87 Posts: 517 Member
edited September 27 in Chit-Chat
So, the gym i've joined has a pool, 2 jacuzzis and a steam room - i've NEVER been in a swimming pool and havent actually sat in a bath of water for like 20yrs - also never been in the sea

trying to find something i can wear in the pool etc thats gonna cover some of my lumps and bumps but still be nice - i dont like my back or thighs - someone suggested a tankini with shorts

can anyone suggest anywhere i might find them in UK size 24 - 26 ? I tried evans but they all seem to have high leg bottoms

Replies

• Jennjenn1974
    Jennjenn1974 Posts: 350 Member
    I wear a sports bra and a pair of board shorts. One of my goals is to get to the point where I can wear a proper 2 piece bathing suit.

The board shorts I wear are actually mens. Try a surf shop or the men's section at a dept store.
  • yay2012
    yay2012 Posts: 72
    Board shorts are great-for the top you could wear the shorts with a rashguard which is essentially a waterproof t-shirt-they cover everything on top. You should be able to find them online if you can't find them in a store.
  • Xaspar
    Xaspar Posts: 726 Member
    I wear a tankini top and a pair of board shorts I bought in the men's section at WalMart
  • sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    On-line you can go the Woman With-in, One Stop Plus, Romans and Lane Bryants once you get into this site you can go from place to place At the stores you can go to Lane Bryants Or Cathrines
  • kristarablue
    kristarablue Posts: 702 Member
    There should be a wide variety of one piece bathing suits with skirts, this will cover your upper thighs and depending how it is made will cover many of your lumps and bumps. But ultimately, I am so proud of you for going to the pool!!! Great job, the hardest time to go is the first, it just gets easier after that and remember you are doing this for yourself and no one else. Oh and water is so refreshing and therapeutic, I think you are going to LOVE IT!!!
  • igora_soma
    igora_soma Posts: 486
    A lot of women at my gym wear a one piece bathing suit and some shorts that are a bit tighter, it creates less resistance in the water and there is less concern over them falling off.

Great idea heading to the pool! It's so relaxing and great exercise :)
  • Solat37_Neil
    Solat37_Neil Posts: 379 Member
    Wear a regular swimming cossie, it'll be tough the first time, but after that you won't bat an eyelid! People ain't looking down their noses at you Sarah, and if they are...bollocks to 'em ;)
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    I got my tankini from Marks and Spencer, but my favourite poolwear is a chlorine resistant Speedo costume from its Bodyshaping range with shaping and padded cups - supportive and flattering for a curvy lady. They're available online from loads of places including Speedo's own site. Let us know what you choose!
  • yvonnej1
    yvonnej1 Posts: 904 Member
    I wear shockabsorber swimwear, same great support as their sports bras but in swimwear. I have a swimsuit and a bikini but they also do a tankini, see the link http://www.shockabsorber.co.uk/swim/tankini.html I really wouldn't worry about wobbly bits, there are plenty of them on show in the pool at my gym. You are there to improve your fitness and lose some weight along the way, don't feel intimidated :smile:
  • traceywaugh
    traceywaugh Posts: 144
    i used to order mine from shapely figures they a brill catalogue big range of swimwear. i was lucky have always went swimming so as got bigger never noticed just got next size up. i swim as part of my job with special needs kids used to like swimdresses for covering tum and tops of legs. Whatever you get you will feel self conscious to begin with but will soon become comfortable. Nobody at your gym will be looking at what ur wearing. i used to worrry about what i would wear to classes and gym.
  • justleeanne
    justleeanne Posts: 251 Member
    Babe whatever you do, do not buy a tankini!! At our sizes they rise up as you swim and you end up with your tummy hanging out which is NOT good.

This has happened to me with both tankinis I have bought and I just couldn't swim properly in the end while I was wearing them, which defeats the point of going and also it was just horrible when it happened, I think if you are nervous then this could give you a serious confidence knock because when it happened to me I was practically having palpatations wondering if the lifeguard or the guy across the pool with goggles on had seen my escaping jelly belly underwater. lol

Anyway, I bought myself a swimming costume and now that I've been a few times I just don't care, there are people bigger and smaller than me at the gym and they all walk around naked without a care in the world, so I have gotten over it and to be honest it has actually helped me to accept my body more for what it is and not to be ashamed.

Have a look on www.asos.com there is a range on there called "curve" which is size 20-26 and they do some swimming costumes in various colours, black, green, pink, zebra, leopard, those are what I've seen so far, I've got the pink one and yes it is bright but it actually looks great on me and I didn't want to hide behind a boring black one.

Ok I have just been on actually to look at them and it seems a lot of the swimsuits are off and there are LOADS of tankinis!! lol
    Check the 2 urls below anyway.

http://www.asos.com/Women/Sale/Curve---Sizes-20-26/Cat/pgecategory.aspx?cid=10528#state=Rf900=1597&parentID=Rf900&pge=0&pgeSize=20&sort=-1

The pink and green one are both on sale and a bargain at that price!!

http://www.asos.com/Women/Curve/Swimwear/Cat/pgecategory.aspx?cid=9583#parentID=-1&pge=0&pgeSize=-1&sort=-1

The material is a decent thickness too they're not flimsy, I always get a size bigger than I need in swimwear though because I think it's tight to start with! I'm a member of asos so I get free next day delivery and free returns etc so I buy loads of stuff from there, the curve range is good for clothes too and there's always loads of bargains in the clearance section! :)
  • emsibun
    emsibun Posts: 208
    Having been swimming this week for the first time in years I noticed one clever thing that one of the curvier ladies wore to swim in. She had on a normal swimming costume but had a pair of plain coloured mens swim shorts over the top. The shorts were slazenger and I know they were mens because I bought a pair exactly the same for my husband this week from Sports Direct for about a fiver! They come in sizes up to a mens XL and in plain black, dark blue or burgundy.

This lady wore a pair of shorts the same colour as her swim suit (black) and totally rocked her swim :)
  • nbackes
    nbackes Posts: 5
    Nobody really cares what you wear in a pool or jacuzzi.
This discussion has been closed.