Sort of overshare I guess.

Options
I've got compulsive eating disorder and I just can't seem to shake the need to stuff all my problems down with food. I did really well when I started this website but my gym dates are getting less and less and my weight's creeping back up. I'm just starting to lose all want to do this anymore it just gets too friggen hard. What do you do if you just get into a rut?

Sorry for the pity party.

Replies

• mierla
    mierla Posts: 25
    Options
    Shake things up! Maybe the gym is getting boring and you need to do something more social/exciting?
  • BillyPilgrim
    Options
    That's a good idea. I've been thinking about maybe doing classes.
  • eklugman
    eklugman Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    are you stuffing yourself with candy and sweets or just anything?? I always like the idea of only having good stuff in the house.. sweets.. get the jello temptations they seem to satisfy and only 150 calories.. also if you have lots of veggies like celery, you get the crunchy feeling, fill it with peanut butter or something else low cal and add a couple of chocolate chips on top of the peanut butter..
  • alicia826
    alicia826 Posts: 51
    Options
    Do Something New!!!! I had the same thing a couple of weeks ago. I had been doing the same workout videos over and over again, and eating the same food everyday. So I started C25k, and I'm completely motivated again! I also am doing Jillians 30 day shred (which might get old to me soon too, since its the same three workouts!)

But find some new yummy looking recipes online, and have fun cooking them, and don't go to the gym for a bit. it's getting to be really nice outside, ride your bike, or take a long walk! Whatever is out of the ordinary from your normal "workout schdeule"! Seriously, it helps!

GOOD LUCK! and Don't give in!

BTW Feel free to add me :)
  • clemsongirl1982
    Options
    Go and get out in the sunshine. Now that it's nice outside....most of the time......take a walk around at either a park or a school's track or even up and down your street. If you do this just once you will feel better and the sunshine will create a need to get back into more often since we have been cooped up all winter. Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • emmaleigh47
    emmaleigh47 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    I love that you recognize that you have a problem!
    Are you in counseling to deal with your emotions? I agree with the previous poster try not to keep non-healthy foods in the house and that way although you may still overeat you wont blow as many calories.
    Have you tried taking a 20-30 min walk when you have those urges?

Have you tried mixing up the routine... maybe a structured routine would be better for you. I know me personally I do poorly when there isnt a goal ... a reason for going. I have been working on P90X and although I dont always wanna do it... I show up at least and give it my all because I feel like I have to. I have done the same with the half marathon training... although I am struggling this week because it is the week between plans so my runs have no meaning... ya know?

Feel free to check out my profile and add me if you would like!
  • luvmykid28
    luvmykid28 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Have you tried replacing your compulsive eating with something else. I am a compulsive knittter. This keeps me from snacking. It's a great way to keep you mind and hands busy.
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    I generally find that being brutally honest with myself works best.

If I feel like blowing it all away, not bothering to go to the gym and having fish and chips instead of a healthy meal, I force myself to take a good hard look at my body in the mirror - and ask myself "Well? What do you think of your body? Look what you've done to yourself! Do you really want to look like this forever? Are you stupid enough to think that someone else is going to sort it out for you? You know it will carry on changing but only if you don't wimp out so stop whining and get on with it"

You know the sort of thing. The one time that didn't work, when I was suffering a bout of severe depression, I posted a thread on here and got a lot of support an encouragement that helped me through.

So if bullying yourself doesn't work, just remember that there are a lot of people here who will support you. You've done well so far, just keep it up and the results will encourage you. :smile:

EDIT - For some reason whining showed as ****ing so I changed it back - it made it look as if I'd said something obscene LOL
  • jell52
    jell52 Posts: 15
    Options
    One thing that really helped me is getting a gym buddy. I am too easily conviced to skip the gym. Having someone to hold me accountable to meet up with helped me a great deal. I can let myself not go but I won't let myself hold that other person back. WE all get into ruts.
    Good luck! :)
  • imsmellie
    imsmellie Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I have a binge eating disorder (still struggling).

I don't see a therapist anymore.. he just helped me realize triggers and how to avoid them. So, things that help me are:

1. keeping my hands/mind busy----knitting, jigsaw puzzle, books, magazines, sudoku book, jewelry making.
    2. joining clubs/classes----kntting club, book club, walking club, ultimate frisbee club, church clubs, fitness classes, wine tasting classes.... anything to get you out of the house for an hour or two and will get you to be social.
    3. schedules and lists for things you need to do would like to do.
    4. guided meditation cd. a good meditation in the morning or at night guided on your ipod on a cd is a great practically free way to lose some stress, calm you, energize you, or just take up 20minutes of time.

These work for me.... But in general, find things to do (besides eating) that make you truly happy, proud of yourself and give you less stress.

I'll send you a friend request.