Is my daily food intake too low?

Options
MattArcade
MattArcade Posts: 135 Member
Hi all,
Hope your fitness plans are going well, I wanted to find out if my food/calorie intake is too low as I'm concious that it is and need to step it up a little more.

I'm 5ft 8 and currently weigh 12.8 stone aged 29.

Today so far I have had:

Breakfast:
Pint glass of water
1 Poached egg on wholemeal toast (no butter or marg)

Dinner:
Pasta and 1 can of tuna (before this i cycled 16.5 miles roughly 814 calories burnt)
2 Pint glass of water
1 small green apple

Supper:
1 chicken breast with cucumber, lettuce, beetroot, spring onion, tomatoes
1 pint glass of water

So I think that this could be too low and need to add extra into this?

As I work in an office in the week my food intake is usually the same as above however i have mid morning and mid afternoon snack of an apple or grapes. And for dinner I would have a jacket potato and tuna with more grapes.

I have only just started cycling and try to get out least 4 times a week at the moment they are 5 mile routes and weekend go for much as I can.

Can anyone offer any advice please?

Replies

• smoder1
    smoder1 Posts: 10
    Options
    The minimum calories anyone should take in is 1200 calories a day. Everyone is different so they need different amounts depending on exercise and medical conditions. But if your calorie intake is less than 1200 a day, you need to increase your calorie intake.
  • NightOwl1
    NightOwl1 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I've found that 9 times out of 10 when people ask that question on here, the answer is yes. It's true in your case as well. If you are cycling, you should be eating 1200 calories, plus the amount of calories you burn from cycling. It doesn't look like what you eat is close to that.
  • TropicalKitty
    TropicalKitty Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    It seems rather scant, especially with that workout.

Try adding in some snacks with veggies, low sugar fruits (like berries), and nuts. You could add some oatmeal to breakfast, for example. Greek yogurt.

You also should probably add a bit more water daily as well - I'm sure you sweated a lot with the bike ride.
  • ErinLouiseBellamy
    ErinLouiseBellamy Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    hey! how many calories did it come to in your food diary?? try and keep it around 1200,, its ok if sometimes its under but try your best to get that many in. Why not buy some mixed nuts, peanut butter(you can have the 25percent low fat one at 85cals a tablespoon), salt and vinegar rice cakes, instant sugar free jelly, bananas,etc.... try and add in some of these snacks! good luck
  • MattArcade
    Options
    My target is 1310 calories per day
    +734 food
    -814 exercise

So I need to add more, therefore would a protein shake be a recmendation?
    Or in my evening meals add moreeggs?

Thanks for all the advice everyone though, just trying to get the right number of calories in lose weight properly.
  • ErinLouiseBellamy
    ErinLouiseBellamy Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    most people do find protein shakes handy to add calories. I do it the odd time too. Id say, if you get to the end of the day and havent had enough calories, add one,, or if youve had a big workout have one. Other than that , you dont want to rely on them too much. Proper food is better!

If your anything like me, it will seem that your always eating, which might be a bit strange as you think you should be having less to lose weight.
    Egg whites are good(low cal),, but if you add the yolk as well you will add to your calories which is good. Oatmeal, as someone said is also good and it keeps you fuller for longer. I get the flahavens quick microwavable ones. Add some raspberries and blueberries and thats 200 calories.

Your best bet is to have a bigger breakfast. That way it gets the calories out of the way, instead of getting to 9pm and realising you havent had enough.

dont always keep to the same calories. mix it up a bit. i try and go up and down by around 100calories so the body doesnt think your having a set amount everyday and get stuck in its ways.

I eat when i think im hungry, all healthy foods, stay away from bad foods (takeaways, processed foods), and drink lots and lots of water. everybody is different but if you keep mixing things up youll soon find out the best way for you to lose weight! hope that helps!
  • porffor
    porffor Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    I used to run a lot but these days time restricts me to my fav hobby of horse riding. If you have the extra calories when you actually need them it'll help your muscles no end. So maybe have that shake / food before you ride rather than having them in the evening when presumably you are in active.
  • MattArcade
    Options
    bells what great advice thank you exactly what I need! I'm sure as time goes by and with the help on here I can understand better what I need to do to do this properly.

Porffor - will now add a shake before my work outs :)