please read!!!!

Thich Nhat Hanh's CD TRULY SEEING....

"He tells the story of a river born as a stream, that sings and dances down the mountain unaware that she is happy and so is not really happy. The river is emblematic of the dieter who loses weight quickly, but doesn't enjoy it because she is only interested in getting to her goal. Then , the river gets to the lowlands and slows down, thinking it will take forever to get to the ocean. In the same way, as the dieter's weight loss slows, she stars thinking it will take forever to get to her goal. It is at this point that the river (and the dieter) begin to suffer. The river gets distracted when she sees the clouds. She chases them, but they are fickle and never stay for long. When they disappear from her view, her suffering returns. The dieter, meanwhile, is chasing the thin person who appears in her mind, but then vanishes, leaving her disenchanted and frustrated...

Then a strong wind comes and blows away all the clouds, leaving the river alone with her miserable thoughts. But, that night, with no clouds to distract her, the river is alone to focus on herself: in the stillness she realizes that she IS water, the same as clouds and the ocean. And with that she sees that what she has been chasing has always been within her...

The next morning, the river awakes to see the beautiful blue sky that she has never noticed before. She is suddenly able to enjoy the present moment...

And the dieter? When things slow down in her mind and she returns to herself, she realizes that the thin person she is seeking is already there within her. Suddenly, she begins to enjoy the present moment, breathing, exercising, and taking nourishing food. Whe she is present, her transformation takes place. For the dieter, meditation, or simply being quiet in her mind--to see her thoughts, feelings, and self with nonattachment--lets the person within her come to her...

Meditation leads to mindfulness..."

Replies

• cquick
    cquick Posts: 220
    Thich Nhat Hanh's CD TRULY SEEING....

"He tells the story of a river born as a stream, that sings and dances down the mountain unaware that she is happy and so is not really happy. The river is emblematic of the dieter who loses weight quickly, but doesn't enjoy it because she is only interested in getting to her goal. Then , the river gets to the lowlands and slows down, thinking it will take forever to get to the ocean. In the same way, as the dieter's weight loss slows, she stars thinking it will take forever to get to her goal. It is at this point that the river (and the dieter) begin to suffer. The river gets distracted when she sees the clouds. She chases them, but they are fickle and never stay for long. When they disappear from her view, her suffering returns. The dieter, meanwhile, is chasing the thin person who appears in her mind, but then vanishes, leaving her disenchanted and frustrated...

Then a strong wind comes and blows away all the clouds, leaving the river alone with her miserable thoughts. But, that night, with no clouds to distract her, the river is alone to focus on herself: in the stillness she realizes that she IS water, the same as clouds and the ocean. And with that she sees that what she has been chasing has always been within her...

The next morning, the river awakes to see the beautiful blue sky that she has never noticed before. She is suddenly able to enjoy the present moment...

And the dieter? When things slow down in her mind and she returns to herself, she realizes that the thin person she is seeking is already there within her. Suddenly, she begins to enjoy the present moment, breathing, exercising, and taking nourishing food. Whe she is present, her transformation takes place. For the dieter, meditation, or simply being quiet in her mind--to see her thoughts, feelings, and self with nonattachment--lets the person within her come to her...

Meditation leads to mindfulness..."
  • cquick
    meditation is a beautiful thing, guys...taking just fifteen minutes out of your day can give you some of that clarity you are longing for, can help you set goals and see the bigger picture!

i've had a horrible two weeks or so when it has come to my diet and weight loss, but after taking the time to meditate, i might not be ten pounds lighter or five inces slimmer, but at least i'm on a path to optimal health...

isn't that what really matters?

PS Does anyone have any other good meditation cds, ideas, programs that they use? if so, post it!
  • I have recently started practicing Tai Chi QiGong for meditation. There are a couple of free videos (registration required) at the forums at http://www.taichi18.com

I am also interested in pursuing Tai Chi Ch'uan when my skill level advances far enough. There are some free videos, poses, and some music available at http://www.taiji.de
  • Hi, this is my first post. Thank you for this beautiful message, it is so moving, and a wonderful reminder to keep the big picture in mind: to find real meaning in our lives. Andrea
  • cquick
    Hi, this is my first post. Thank you for this beautiful message, it is so moving, and a wonderful reminder to keep the big picture in mind: to find real meaning in our lives. Andrea

hey there, i'm a newbie too...this site is helpful, and there's decent support amongst us...i wish you well and hope you succeed in all of your fitness goals!!!

have fun, and be well!
  • cquick
    I have recently started practicing Tai Chi QiGong for meditation. There are a couple of free videos (registration required) at the forums at http://www.taichi18.com

I am also interested in pursuing Tai Chi Ch'uan when my skill level advances far enough. There are some free videos, poses, and some music available at http://www.taiji.de

people don't seem to understand how beautiful, healthy, and calming tai chi, qigong can be. some people tend to think that it's for older people, people with arthritis, etc. its great to see so many people gravitating to this glorious, grounding art....

peace to you, and thanks for the post!:flowerforyou:
  • I like Tai Chi. It is so good for my body, and I have adjusted some of the movements due to my fused ankle. I tell anyone if you are new to exercising then Tai Chi is it. I like it because you feel less stressed after you have done the complete movements for about 1/2 an hour to an hour. I will tell you I have felt my whole body hurt after a Tai Chi workout.
  • I like Tai Chi. It is so good for my body, and I have adjusted some of the movements due to my fused ankle. I tell anyone if you are new to exercising then Tai Chi is it. I like it because you feel less stressed after you have done the complete movements for about 1/2 an hour to an hour. I will tell you I have felt my whole body hurt after a Tai Chi workout.

What set of Tai Chi movements do you do? I am just a beginner still and much of the qigong I have been practicing is "in-place". Some day, I would love to do this:

http://www.wongkk.com/general/ck-course.html

That could be a long way off, but hopefully not too long!
  • cquick
    [/quote]

What set of Tai Chi movements do you do? I am just a beginner still and much of the qigong I have been practicing is "in-place". Some day, I would love to do this:

http://www.wongkk.com/general/ck-course.html

That could be a long way off, but hopefully not too long!
    [/quote]

oh wow, i checked out chi kung exercises / the breaking power of chi kung on youtube, and let me tell you, that's amazing. energy is a powerful thing, and if that guy can take that kind of destructive force, he's definitely mastered the art. super intense! check it out!!!

:noway:
  • cquick
    "If nutrition is the fuel, exercise is the "toner" for the body. Modern civilization has changed few things in our lives as severely as the amount of exercise we get. We have never been as sedentary as we are today, and this, combined with dietary changes, has made much of our adult population overweight and flabby. there is a popular quip that says, "if you don't use it you lose it." The interplay of muscles, bones, tendons, ligaments, and joints demands consistent stimulation to stay in tone. being in shape does not mean simply being slender but having all the muscles trained...

Just as we must exercise our bodies to be fit, so must we exercise our minds to keep awake and alert. The greatest instruments for the mind's stimulation are wonder and curiosity. boredom is a major disease, eroding the health of many adults who over time narrow their spheres of interest. Wonder and curiousity are the tools that all children carry with them in their interactions with tthe world. In fact, that wonder and curiosity are what make kids seem so alive. for adults, somwhere along the line, sunsets become routine and life's pace too hectic. But wonder and curiosity can be recaptured. there are no stimulants that begin to awaken a person like a new interest captivating one's life or consuming ongoing exploration. The next time a person is excited about something, instead or turning it off, jump right into it and share in their interest. Carry you wonder and curiosity into your older years and you take your youth with you. ...

If love is the foundation for happiness, then fun, play, and laughter are the vehicles for it s expression. "

Fundamentals of Complementary and Integrative Medicine, Marc S. Micozzi