Diabetic and Dieting

Options
Okay. I'm a type 2 diabetic and I am working on a diet. I need to keep sugar going into my body...but usually the sugary things that I eat to keep my sugar up is full of calories and fat!

Any ideas or tips to help me with this!!??!!

Replies

• oOLiveYourLifeOo
    Options
    Okay. I'm a type 2 diabetic and I am working on a diet. I need to keep sugar going into my body...but usually the sugary things that I eat to keep my sugar up is full of calories and fat!

Any ideas or tips to help me with this!!??!!
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    I'm confused--I'm Type 2, and am wondering why you "need to keep sugar going into" your body.

Are you having lows? If so, then you need to adjust your meds maybe?
  • oOLiveYourLifeOo
    Options
    My sugar has been staying low here lately. idk why and I have gone down on my medications. I am taking 500 mg metforming twice daily but I guess its so early when i take my morning dose (0530 to 0630) that my sugar is in the 50's and 60's by lunch time
  • shorerider
    Options
    How long have you been diagnosed?

Is your doc aware of these lows?

If not, you need to let your doctor know, and work with them to get this figured out. It is dangerous to be adjusting your meds on your own without your doc's advice.

Also, what are you eating for breakfast?

And, you should be eating a mid-morning snack as well.

What was your last A1C?
  • oOLiveYourLifeOo
    Options
    I have been a diabetic since March 2008 but pre-diabetic since November 2006.
    My doctor is aware of these lows and has regulated my medications accordingly. My sugar went from the 800's and he put me on insulin and then it went to semi-normal range and then he took me off the insulin and just kept me on metformin.
    I eat a Natures Valley oats and honey granola bar every morning for breakfast and I eat an apple or an orange for my mid-morning and mid-afternoon snack.
    I do not remember my last A1C. I know that's sad, but I just didn't pay attention to what he told me. I was in shock at "You're diabetic Callie"
  • AJCM
    AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    My mother is a Type 2 diabetic and she is not to eat sugar at all. Very little honey even, and she has to be careful about using products such as Splenda and Stevia, as they can cause artifical spikes in insulin.

She has been prescribed a diet of healthy fats, lean meats, and low glycemic index carbs such as whole grains, oats, spelt, quinoa, and lots of fresh veggies and low sugar fruits (berries, apples, citrus, etc).

I'm confused as to why your doctor would want you to eat any refined sugars??? Has he/she explained why this is?
    :flowerforyou:
  • karmalyn
    Options
    Just a few things that have helped me as a type 2 diagnosed in April 2008. They had me consult with a nutritionist for a 1 hour session. My insurance paid it and they also offer a 2 day nutrition class that I intend to take soon, paid for by my insurance also. In a few weeks I will meet with a diabetic educator which is offered through my Endocrinologist (as a free service). When diagnosed my general doctor basically said, "you are diabetic, here is your meter, go home and read this literature and look it up on the internet what it all means." Needless to say I soon got in with an Endocrinologist and she is on the ball with my lab tests. One thing she checked is I have a high cortisol reading which makes your body hang on to weight. Have you considered getting a doctor that will spend more time explaining things to you? It has helped me.
    Nutrition wise, my readings spike if I eat something like an apple if I don't pair it with a protein like a serving of almonds. I didn't mean to write so much but maybe taking advantage of some of the services available to you as a diabetic might help you also. Good luck with it all!
  • shorerider
    Options
    I have been a diabetic since March 2008 but pre-diabetic since November 2006.
    My doctor is aware of these lows and has regulated my medications accordingly. My sugar went from the 800's and he put me on insulin and then it went to semi-normal range and then he took me off the insulin and just kept me on metformin.
    I eat a Natures Valley oats and honey granola bar every morning for breakfast and I eat an apple or an orange for my mid-morning and mid-afternoon snack.
    I do not remember my last A1C. I know that's sad, but I just didn't pay attention to what he told me. I was in shock at "You're diabetic Callie"

If you're doctor is aware of your lows and not working with you to adjust your meds, then you need to find another doctor.

Also, the Nature's Valley bar is not good for you. It will cause you to spike and then drop low. Find something else to eat for breakfast that has less carbs and some fat. The fat helps slow the digestion, so you will not spike as high nor drop so quickly afterwards.

Also, PLEASE WATCH THE FRUIT! Fruit is dangerous for diabetics unless you are strictly controlled. I couldn't eat any fruits for years (I was diagnosed in 2004). I've only been able to eat fruit recently and then can eat it ONLY after a 2 hour or longer bike ride. Especially the orange. And two whole pieces of fruit every day is too much for a diabetic. I wouldn't even eat 2 pieces of fruit unless I ride for like 35 or more miles on my bike. Your body simply cannot process that much carbs and natural sugar.

If you want fruit, eat a VERY SMALL piece--and I mean small but I suggest you stay away from it completely until you get your levels more under control.

Do you carry Glucose Tablets with you?

Your mid-morning snack should be something low or no carb with some fat.

Have you talked to your doctor about eating guidelines? If not, again, see another doctor.

There is just simply so much to this disease and you have to self-educate yourself as much as possible.

But you must learn how to pick your food choices better and or you will cause serious damage to your body.

I suggest you check out some diabetes forums as well to gain advice.
  • shorerider
    Options
    Here's a good forum:

http://www.diabetesdaily.com/forum/

Also, you should ask your doc what your A1C was--keep track of it. Diabetics MUST became anal about tracking everything--at least until you're under control with your numbers and have a better idea of how foods impact your levels. I still test at least 6-8 times a day; more when I cycle or exercise.
  • danh603
    Options
    From what I know being a Type2 for 5 years, it sounds like you might need to eat more for breakfast and then have a snack around 10:30ish.....I always have something for bfast, oatmeal, toast, or cereal...one of those, not all three....hehehehe

then around 10ish in the mornnig, I will have a snack of crackers, apple, or something to keep me going to lunch time.

I would highly recommend meeting with a dieticin, if your insurance pays for it....

And, always carry some glucose tablets with you, they have them in delicious flavors now, Raspberry is my fav....

Good luck:smile:
  • oOLiveYourLifeOo
    Options
    Thank ya'll so much for all the advice.

Like I know I was diagnosed at the University of Southern Mississippi health clinic and they're really just a bandaid clinic. I was in and out of that clinic for 2 weeks with IVs every day (and at $100 per IV...my bill was NOT PRETTY at the end of the semester) and my doctor here at home did some blood tests and blah blah. I remember like 2 weeks after I was diagnosed, my boyfriend came down to visit me when he got home from TDY and I passed out and had a mini-siezure and he had to take me to the emergency room. Well they checked my sugar and it was around 730 and they gave me an ADA packet and sent me home with orders for him not to leave me alone for the night and to check in with my clinic within 48 hours.
    Every now and then I'll have fainting spells, but that is b/c I have a panic disorder and my sugar will drop low whenever I panic and it causes me to pass out multiple times.
    I have a bottle of glucose tabs and I carry small packets of sugar. I know whenever I passed out in the hotel room a few weeks ago, my boyfriend made me take a sip or two of Mt. Dew until he could get me some food.
  • shorerider
    Options
    Ok. Look. If you're passing out, you need to get medical help with this. That is very dangerous and I'm talking possibilities of death here, ok? Diabetes can not and must not be messed around with--Type 2s can die from lows very easily. My doctor freaked when I told her I almost passed out when day while cycling and that was "almost passing out"--I've never passed out. You're on extremely dangerous ground right now.

You MUST go back to your doctor with these issues--and if they're not concerned or do nothing-GET A NEW DOCTOR!

Also, as I said, educate yourself. Each diabetic is different and can response differently to different foods. there are some things we all have in common--like we should limit carbs, fruits, sugar, etc. but each other responds differently. Which is why it is ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY to find a doctor who will work with YOU to find a solution to your Diabetes.

Please don't delay on this any longer--go NOW to the Doctor's and begin to get your levels under control.
  • oOLiveYourLifeOo
    Options
    My pcp knows about my fainting spells and I have been examened by a therapist, medical psychologist, and hypno-therapist and the fainting spells are strictly stress/panic related.

Some days I have lows but my highs are rare now a days.
    My normal sugar level (when I wakeup in the morning) is between 50 and 80, so I have learned that by snacking on something simple (celery and peanut butter/cheese) gives me just enough to have my level between 80 and 110 when I wake up in the morning.

I have changed doctors so many times, that it even confuses me. I live in South Mississippi...where the losers go if they fail anywhere else. So there is not much of an option here, and it's kind of difficult to drive to New Orleans or Baton Rouge for doctors appointments.
  • shorerider
    Options
    I'm not a doctor and you still need to consult one about this but if your fasting levels are that low, it sounds like you don't need meds. I have to take meds to keep my fasting levels around 90-110.