Rude? or not.

Options
2»

Replies

• GypsyWagon
    GypsyWagon Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    If you are discreet about it, no one will even notice! Bring a large tote bag and put a lunch bag cooler inside it. Look over the potluck table and take a small portion of fruit salad or lettuce salad or something similar (those items are almost always taken to a potluck by others trying to eat healthy). Then take your plate back to your seat and slip the sandwich onto it. With all the different foods there, no one will notice. No explanation necessary!

This sounds like the perfect solution. You have a goal and you're taking it seriously. Plus, it's not like you're the Guest of Honor and everyone has been slaving away to please you. You're looking after yourself...kudos!
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    if anyone asks, just tell them you have a food allergy if you want your real reasons to be kept private. it's more rude to ask than it is to lie about it.

and take water with you. :)
  • Niveous
    Niveous Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I don't think that's rude at all. Bring your sandwich and enjoy! :)
  • mjtbb
    mjtbb Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I hadn't even thought that will all the people around no one would probably notice. I can always not bring it out if they have healthy stuff that I can eat. I was just worried because they are been nice to feed us so I would hate to not be grateful.

I have another dinner like that at work in two weeks but with my coworkers I don't have issues, half of them are healthy eaters anyway and already said they will only eat the burger no bun and bring salad from home. All the sides are mayo-carb salads or maccaroni and cheese. The committee just couldn't come up with any ideas of healthy stuff that they could buy enough. (enough for everyone since it is our employee recognition luncheon). Go figure!

Thanks!

Melanie
  • steffae
    steffae Posts: 47
    Options
    Ill be honest, if I had made dinner for a few close friends, and some of them said they were watching their weight, I would find that rude. Considering I have a few food allergies, and I can deal with them dishing out the food I am allergic to (not on my plate, but theirs in front of me), they can deal with having an extra 100 calories of good, healthy food.
    But for a large group I wouldn't think its rude. It's not like your loudly telling everyone you don't like what was prepared.
  • starjewl22
    starjewl22 Posts: 1
    Options
    I believe that this is a great option and I think everyone would be jealous because they did not think of the same thing. No really it's not rude, you are trying to eat healthy and do whats best for you and your life and if someone cannot understand that then maybe they would not be the best support in the first place. Good luck and great job!!
  • ImperfektAngel
    ImperfektAngel Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I dont see anything rude about it :D
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    water to flush it out??? where do you people get these ideas
  • abyssfully
    abyssfully Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's rude at all - but I do know how you feel. I always worry about upsetting other people - even when it comes to food! Time to put ourselves first *at least a bit*!
  • DustinReiner
    DustinReiner Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

Bring your own sandwich and EXTRA water. Years ago when I was in college, centuries ago I worked in a restaurant and they had strict rules about eating during our shift. I was in great shape back then, ran 2-5 miles every day, lifted weights everyday. Some of my fellow employee friends were competetive in biking, running on and on. WE would all broing in our own food into a restaurant!

I was know for bringing in cans of pineapples and yogurt. Then as I do today, I have a cooler in the back of my car. I have a friend, a seriously beautiful woman, both inside and out. A great girl, I guarntee you at this moment she has a sandwich in her nap sack of a purse. I usually run in a big group of friends, it is nothing for her to whip out her sandwich of the day when ever she's hungry! She's about 5'6" and about 120 lbs. We don't think a thing about it, Kim's hungry! Ok, so. the girls prepared! She's great to take to concerts, trust me. Kim in theat bag you wouldn't happen to have.........she usually does with mixers!!

Take your sandwich, and there is not reason why you can't bring your own water.
  • mjtbb
    Options
    THis phrase was just a manner of speaking. I have dieted before and if I don't drink a lot of water I don't lose weight. It may not have a scientific base but thats the way my body works. I assume because I do eat with a lot of sodium and need the water to "flush it out". I know the water doesn't flush the calories. I also know I have to lower my sodium but thats an extra battle for me and I'm working on it.

Melanie
  • mjtbb
    Options
    I did bring my water. I just didn't want to drink as I normally do because there was not a lot of stop points for bathroom breaks.

I was actually very surprised. The lunch was a salad bar (lettuce, tomato, etc) and ice cream bar. They had a lot of different dressings (including lite ones) so I didn't have to bring out the sandwich. I was glad because it was a very small crowd and it would have been very noticeable. I did "cheat" a little because my daughter got apple pie and gave it to me when she didn't want it. It was a waste of calories but since I only ate a very small piece I'll just excersize enough to make up for it. Shame it was not as good as it looked, it was too sweet. My issues are more with salty stuff, thats the one I can't start because it's hard to stop eating it.
    I'll still keep the idea of a sandwich for the next occasion though, I simply lucked out on this one.
    Thanks!

Melanie
  • bonjour24
    bonjour24 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    take your butty.
    not the scales.......... weighing everything will just make you stand out more from the crowd.
  • webbed1
    webbed1 Posts: 86
    Options
    NOT.

Stick to your plan. Do have some flexibility in your plan so you can cover occasional events like this or other. Calorie counting can average across days, as long you are brutally honest and not self delusional. Do become pretty good at estimating, but I will admit this is hopeless with combination dishes. You should hear the stuff I get-- but then again I am not at all concerned about telling someone something that WILL be rude if they persist in bothering me about my food choices. I used to think I coul explain educationally but realized many people insist on debating or debunking. The silliest ones are overweight and quite sternly like to lecture me on the fallacies of counting calories. HAHA.
  • kittybitz79
    kittybitz79 Posts: 213
    Options
    I hope this comes through. There was a really good clip on The Talk about portion size and how to figure it out by sight.

http://www.cbs.com/daytime/the_talk/video/?pid=bB42IbTgsoEUTVh5oQBqv1G7r33bkY9F&vs=Clips&play=true