anyone else reach their goal - need advise

Options
ratkaj
ratkaj Posts: 166 Member
I want to start out by saying that I know this isn't necessarily rational... but....

So I have finally reached my goal weight, but I'm "afraid" to stop the program or raise my calories. I know it sounds stupid but I feel so lucky to have been able to get the weight off as quickly as I did, but now I have the idea that if I change anything it might come back.

Has anyone else finished the program and been able to keep it off?
Have you relapsed?
What do you do?

I don't plan to go back to my "old ways" but with the calorie difference I'm thinking I might put on weight (currently eating 1440, maintenance is 1880)

Please some assurance... or better yet, advise!!

Replies

• rnroadrunner
    rnroadrunner Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    check out my profile. I made the mistake off not logging and getting lazy. This time around I will set myself for maintence and keep logging. Thats my suggestion. good luck and keep me posted friend me if you like.
  • Xaspar
    Xaspar Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Haven't gotten to that point yet, but have thought about it. Maybe try upping your calories one hundred at a time for a week or so each time until you find that combination that works for you and you are comfortable with. This may help you define a certain number of calories and activity level that you can manage for the long run and keeps you where you need to be.
  • kje2011
    kje2011 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Probably a good idea still to keep a food and exercise journal. Maintenance.
    Good luck!
  • bunnysone
    bunnysone Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    im at my goal, but fortunately still have plenty of pounds that i can safely take off and still be in the middle of my bmi healthy weight, so I'm not stressed if I lose a little more.

I have a half marathon coming in 6 weeks, so I'm encouraging a bit more of a drop before then, it will make me run faster.

However, I'm slowing the weight loss now gradually - I'm also afraid of the same things you have.

Happy to work with you on this one - I am getting great advice from my PT and also my husband who has been through the same thing. I'm mostly worried about the fact that I am very active, and if i get injured or stop stop training I will put it all back on, which is what happened last year, so I am going to work closely with them to make sure it doenst happen!
  • Mtsidad
    Mtsidad Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Wow - no advice yet because I haven't reached the goal yet - but from my hazy memories of 30 years ago when I lost 30 or so pounds and kept it off for about a year - the downfall was reverting to my previous eating and exercise habits.

For *me* I have to be careful on how I eat. I have to choose certain portion sizes, avoid trigger foods and trigger situations, and exercise regularly. And as food was a solace, I have to find other methods for comfort, because food is a false friend - whispering "all is well" and then sitting around and making me large and lethargic.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    I reached my goals in December 2010 and lost 4 lbs and some inches while on maintenance. I did increase my calories but I also increased my workouts so I kept loosing.

I log every day (even on vacation), and the same with my exercises calories. I actually like doing it because I learn so much about food, nutrition, and about myself.

I also keep measuring and weighting my food and I became more selective with my choices. Yes, it is time consuming, specially cooking and washing pots and pans all the time, but I like the results.

I still have a way to go trying to tone my body and loose more body fat, and I think that at my age I will never get there, but I feel strong, healthy, and happy.

Don't despair, it is easier than you think and you can do it!
  • sweet_lotus
    sweet_lotus Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I've been maintaining for several years now - I gained 10 pounds initially as i stopped being careful with my food! But I lost them and have since found a good equilibrium. (Am on MFP experimenting with macronutrients.)

Remember that if you do gain a pound or three, you *know* you can lose them successfully again. So, don't be so afraid!!!

I'd try the maintenance calories and watch your weight/inches carefully - check in with your scale once a week. Then you can tweak, if necessary, until you find the best daily intake for you.

Congratulations, btw!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!