Need Clarification

Options
I've read alot recently where the "experts" say that we should burn MORE calories than we intake.
On this site- when you work out - the MFP ADDS IN those extra calories you've burned and says you've "earned" them ...
So what gives?
I'm staying well under - 1000-1200 calories/day.
Just curious how that works though?

If we work out - intake all the calories that MFP says we "are allowed" ... will you still lose weight or is that to maintain weight?
Confusing ....
lol
Thanks! Laurie

Replies

• mamaboobear
    mamaboobear Posts: 52
    Options
    i think the difference is that on MFP your already limiting your calories even without exercise, once you add exercise, then you need to eat back those cals so you don't go under and have your body prepare for starvation mode??? ...of course, I've only been on here a week or so, so I could be very wrong!
  • ceschwartz
    ceschwartz Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I have been eating back all mine and so far so good!
  • rtmama
    rtmama Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind, you burn calories just by "living" -

MFP gives you a calorie deficit depending on how you have your goals set. If you have it as 1 lb a week loss, then your calorie deficit is 500 calories.

and you really don't want to stay under 1000 - 1200 calories. Just try to get as close to your set calories as possible, even if it means going over slightly every once in awhile.
  • rnroadrunner
    rnroadrunner Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    when you set up your account you told it how many lbs a week you wanted to lose and it figured out how many calories a day you could eat and lose that weight. When you exercise these are extra calories burned so you can eat them with healthy food and still lose weight. read some of the posts about never going below 1200 cals also. good luck
  • Purplebunnysarah
    Purplebunnysarah Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    I eat back 80-90% of mine and I've lost 35 lbs since January at a ~1.5 lb/week goal. The only reason I don't eat 100% of them is because I don't have a food scale, so I keep the extra % as insurance.

And I always net at least 1200. I find if I don't, the micronutrients I track get out of whack (calcium, iron).
  • Jenni268
    Jenni268 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    My calorie intake is 1450 a day. That is set up for me to lose one pound a week. So far, I am right on track with that weight loss.

I think where you're getting confused is that you are forgetting about BMR, which is the amount of calories you would burn by just lying in bed all day. When you input your info (sex, age, height, weight) MFP figures your BMR. Then, when you input your activity level (sedentary for me, since I'm a SAHM) it adds a predetermined percentage more calories.

Long story short: I can eat 1950 calories a day and stay the same weight. Just breathing, walking around the house, taking care of the kids, all of that burns those 1950 calories a day. By only consuming 1450 (or if I exercise and earn an extra 200 calories, then I intake 1650) I will be cutting out 500 calories a day, which adds up to 3500 calories a week, which equals a one pound weight loss.

For the typical person, the rule of thumb is that 1200 calories need to be consumed daily in order to meet your nutritional needs.... even after exercising. It's tempting on this weight loss journey to just not eat anything, but that's still not healthy! I hope this helps clarify your goals for you!
  • cobylea
    cobylea Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    The only problem I have with eating back my exercise calories is that I workout 99% of the time in the evenings. So when I'm done a workout sometimes it can be around 9pm. As a rule I don't allow myself to eat after 8pm so even if I wanted to eat my exercise calories I couldn't because it usually always ends up being later in the evening. So needless to say I just eat my limited 1200 calories and don't include the exercise calories. I think for a lot it ends up being a personal preference and every body is different. Try it out and see what works for you!!
  • WifenMom
    WifenMom Posts: 40
    Options
    Thankyou everyone for the replies. I need to go back and recalculate what I first entered when I joined a year or so ago.
    I'd like to lose the SAFE but MAX amount each week - which is 3lbs per week I believe if you weigh over 200 (currently 218)
    (I'm terrible at math! lol)
    Thanks again -and I'll be sure to keep those calories closer up to the 1200 range!
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    You'll get a variety of responses to this. Half the people here eat back their calories and half don't. I would read the pinned post for clarification.
  • rtmama
    rtmama Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Thankyou everyone for the replies. I need to go back and recalculate what I first entered when I joined a year or so ago.
    I'd like to lose the SAFE but MAX amount each week - which is 3lbs per week I believe if you weigh over 200 (currently 218)
    (I'm terrible at math! lol)
    Thanks again -and I'll be sure to keep those calories closer up to the 1200 range!

a safe amount to lose is more like 1 pound a week, possibly 2 at the upmost. I think 3 pounds might be more applicable for someone who is 300+