Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

The running body- builder

In my quest to be a long distance runner with nice muscles and low BF I've done a lot of searching and searching for someone to say "yes, it can be done, here is how" :laugh: I came across this article and wanted to share it with my fellow runners who may want to also be a "body builder".
http://worldfitnessnetwork.com/the-running-bodybuilder-85-tips/

Replies

• FitnessChefJime
    FitnessChefJime Posts: 174 Member
    Great article... I love to run but want to be able to do so without losing muscle this is a nice find!!
  • jmijaressf
    jmijaressf Posts: 215
    Thanks for the link. BTW, congrats on completing your first half marathon!
  • dawnemjh
    dawnemjh Posts: 1,465 Member
    bump for later! Thanks!
  • CaroseH
    CaroseH Posts: 72
    bump
  • thkelly
    thkelly Posts: 466 Member
    i think the title of the article is misleading. bodybuilders are dedicated athletes i'll give them that, but they are some of the unhealthiest people around. their diet and the amount of crap they put into their bodies is pretty brutal.

i'd rather be a "strong" runner. someone like Joe Decker or David Goggins (although Goggins is pretty much a freak of nature)

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-243-408--12944-0,00.html
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    I agree with the above poster. Runners tend to be healthier than body builders, and most marathon runners are nowhere near skinny-fat. Most have very very low body fat.

However, I agree with the points about nutrition and interval training.
  • fromaquasar
    fromaquasar Posts: 811 Member
    Awesome thanks Diz, I am the same as you - want some mean muscles without giving up my runs!
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Interesting article. I prefer to be a body builder type with good conditioning personally but still enjoy the odd run down the beach.
  • roylawrence87
    roylawrence87 Posts: 970 Member
    You guys must mean those huge guys. Your normal body builder eats healthy too. Unless I am wrong, that is.
  • thkelly
    thkelly Posts: 466 Member
    You guys must mean those huge guys. Your normal body builder eats healthy too. Unless I am wrong, that is.

you're right. i shouldn't have put ALL bodybuilders in the same category. i'm talking Ronnie Coleman, Jay Cutler, etc....

they're pumped so full of who knows what it's crazy.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    oh yeah, should probably seperate the average joe who goes to the gym and eats healthy to achieve some sort of aesthetic goal to those who do it professionally. Obviously a massive different regarding training, diet and "supplements".