Walking vs Running

Options
if I tend to walk on average 45 a day is it going to do anything for me. Or is it necessary to step it up and jog. I tend to be more of a smaller build and it is very hard for me to loose weight. I just bougt easy toners too though I am not banking on them working just something nice for myself since I am always walking. I am a waitress so I am always on my feet and walking and that's why I think my body may be used to walking so it won't be enough. Please share your thoughts

Replies

• TexasNurseMom78
    TexasNurseMom78 Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    I dont have a good answer for this, but I am curious abot this too. I feel that my running is so slow that my fast paced walk is faster than my run. And my running stamina is not great yet either so it seems to slow me down bc I have to recoup my breathing to start my fast walk again.
  • Heatherbelle_87
    Heatherbelle_87 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Sorry but if youre small a 45 min walk isnt going to do a whole lot for you :( you would need to walk longer and/or pretty much all uphill (so hike basically) If your comfortable jogging I would jog, or other cardio tat works your body differently since you walk all day, like swimming or an elliptical, but based on your profile pic you may really want to try weight training & toning

Now most bigger women, yeah thats a great walk.

We have all body types in this house, all pursuing healthy lifestyles, my sis is the tiniest, and a walk would not cut it for her to maintain
  • trudy45
    trudy45 Posts: 83
    Options
    i lost weight last year doing 30mintues of walking the dog every other day!! it does work!! i think running is a bigger calorie burner, but walking is good too x
  • UltraRunnerGale
    UltraRunnerGale Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    You generally burn *about* 100 calories per mile. That is whether you walk or run. If you run, you are expending more energy, but you are out there less time. If you walk, you are expending less energy, but you are out there longer. The big difference would be fat burn. Walking will burn more fat.
  • dyiaane
    dyiaane Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    You definitely need to add in jogging. You can alternate. Like walk a few minutes and jog a few minutes. Check out the couch to 5 k.
  • Christie81
    Christie81 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I would suggest doing HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training). It will be the fastest way to burn fat. If you are unsure of what it is, just Google it :) Walking won't do much as far as fat loss...I would also do some weight training too.