Knee pain and heel pain

Options
How does anyone do it? When my knees are hurting and my heel it in constant pain..Damn...I was doing so well with my work outs. I cant quit...I wont...but what do I do...I dont have access to swimming pool..? Any suggestions...Im pretty heavy but I feel so much better that I have been working out for 1 month and 1/2 I dont want to stop..

Replies

• Heatherbelle_87
    Heatherbelle_87 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    What do you do workout wise? What kind of shoes are you wearing? and honestly, if they are an off-brand, how much did you spend on them?
  • Cindy311
    Cindy311 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem! I eased up resistance on my elliptical machine, started stretching and icing the affected areas after my workout. My heel feels better but my knee still feels "locked" up. Don't ignore pain, your body is trying to tell you something. Maybe visit a chiropractor for stretching exercises :) Wish you the best of luck and hope you start feeling better soon!
  • Micheleshaneybrook
    Options
    I wear a heel brace When I am sleeping. I also stretch on a step until the heel feels better. Used to use a treadmill, but changed exercise equipment.
  • SarahWrittenThin
    SarahWrittenThin Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I put arthritis cream on mine, even though I don't have arthritis it helps a lot!
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Make sure you really stretch, for a good 10 minutes after exercise. Do you have a bike? That's good for high cardio, non-impact work.
  • Ree_Chatelain
    Ree_Chatelain Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I just went to the doctor last week for my knee pain. He basically said that i'm stressing my joints and need to stop working out for 4-6weeks. Now i'm not going to listen that strictly but i am going to change from running 3 times a week to trying the stationary bike at the gym and the elliptical when they start feeling better.
  • Solat37_Neil
    Solat37_Neil Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I get it too, especially the left ankle, elliptical affects it, and jogging does too, so I'm just sticking to walking until I've lost a few more lbs,
  • kel7298
    kel7298 Posts: 1,542 Member
    Options
    I had to change the way I worked out. I have plantar fasciitis and if I flare it up, I am basically doomed. I work on on my treadmill by doing interval inclines. My speed is slow but my inclines are steep. It worked for me.
  • amazing_grace♥
    Options
    I get it too, especially the left ankle, elliptical affects it, and jogging does too, so I'm just sticking to walking until I've lost a few more lbs,

Yea, I've backed back down to walking more as well. Jogging (C25K) hurts my knees and although riding my bicycle doesn't hurt them quite as bad - they usually hurt me alot the next day. I'm going to try jogging again once I've lost a few more pounds and get some better running shoes.
  • TheresaRichardson
    Options
    I have plantar faciitis. To deal with the heal pain, I have been using the Strassberg sock (http://www.thesock.com/). Using the elliptical works best for me. Walking on sidewalks makes it worse-surface has no give. Good luck!
  • idagroman
    idagroman Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi Edivel:

I used to feel a lot of pain in my heels because I have spurs in them. I had to stop walking which was one of my best exercises until I heard about Walkfit orthotics shoe inserts. I saw an advertisement on TV and bought them through internet (www.walkfit.com) . I am back on my walking again because by using the inserts I don't feel the pain anymore. Now I have started Zumba and I keep my inserts in my exercise shoes and I can do the steps without pain. So get information about the walkfit inserts and give them a try. By the way , I also saw them being sold at the "Bed, Bath and Beyond" store. Try them, you'll be able to get back to your exercises.

IDA
  • unhinge
    unhinge Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I have a heal bone spur and trouble with my knees so I walk, almost jog. I went to the local running store and got fitted for mew running shoes (not cheep) and they have helped. Very cushy on my feet! I also never go barefoot and ware shoes with good arch support for my flat feet.
  • mussmom
    mussmom Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    The Strassberg Sock completely healed my plantar factitious (spelling?). So did stretching, (put foot across opposite knee and pull back on toes for 20 seconds or so. Also ice massage with and ice cup (freeze water in a dixie cup, rub back and forth on affected area). Knees, ice, ice, ice-after each workout. Also, the bike idea is great. No strain on either injury.
  • GaveUp
    GaveUp Posts: 308
    Options
    I have been training for a 5K and have ankle and knee pain. Sometimes I have to slow it down for a few days but I won't stop. I use an ankle wrap and advil & pain stop (walgreens) spray for my knee.... I did get good running shoes "Asics". You can have your feet fitted for the proper shoe. I know I have fallen arches so I have to stick to the same shoe.
    Stretching is very important and adding yoga stretches. Sometimes I stretch 3 times a day even if I don't exercise 3 times a day lol
  • Zeromilediet
    Zeromilediet Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    What's your current workout that's causing the knee and foot pain? Have you looked into something like circuit training? Something like: http://exercise.about.com/library/blfatburningcircuit.htm ?
    I'm not recommending this site particularly, or these specific exercises, but rather citing it as an example to create your own circuit composed of exercises you're able to do that challenge your muscles but don't cause pain in your knee/foot. If you don't belong to a gym, try googling 'workout on a shoestring' for creating a routine at home for little to no cost.