New and nursing

Options
Hello! I'm brand new here wanted to introduce myself. My name is Michele and I am a mom of two (3 year old and 7 week old girls). I currently am trying to lose the baby weight (including what was left from my first pregnancy) with a goal of losing 30-35 lbs.
I am currently nursing my daughter and I know it is recommended to have (I believe) 500 extra calories a day. I'm not really sure how to plan out my daily goals both trying to lose weight but still have enough nutrition for nursing.
Suggestions?

Replies

• seesaey
    seesaey Posts: 231
    Options
    Hi! I'm nursing my youngest (almost 5 months already!!) and have a 2 & 4 year old. You can add in nursing in your food journal, search for breastfeeding and there will be different options. It will subract the 500 calories so you'll have a negative net to begin each day. Its VERY important to eat those 500 extra calories. At first I didn't and wasn't eating enough so my body stopped losing and held onto everything. Took me a while to figure out what I needed. Good luck, I know you will do well!!
  • serenabh
    serenabh Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    That's really helpful because I was wondering the same thing! I have a 7month old who is breastfeeding, so I was worried that I would affect my milk supply if I didn't get the balance right.
  • msdiddyj
    msdiddyj Posts: 5
    Options
    i'm nursing as well, but i'm trying to gain weight so sheesh i have to add a LOT of extra calories!
  • WildcatMom82
    WildcatMom82 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I set my profile to lose 1 lb a week and ate the extra nursing cals plus ate back my workout cals. It's going okay so far :) Congrats on your babies!
  • MLangseth
    MLangseth Posts: 11
    Options
    Thanks! Does it factor in the extra carbs/fat/protein included when eating those extra calories?
  • seesaey
    seesaey Posts: 231
    Options
    Yes. I get negative protien, fats, carbs when I enter the breastfeeding. It took about a month until I figured out the right calories and how my body works. I'm sure when she starts eating solids it will change again. I secretly enjoy eating those extra nursing calories though! ;)
  • xsarakhx
    xsarakhx Posts: 6
    Options
    My little lady will be 9 months on Monday and I am still nursing with her. One of the nice things about this is being able to make sure that nursing is part of your diary for the day. If you don't get all the "extra" calories for the day you should be fine as long as you balance it out for the week and if you are a little leary about your supply, check with your doctor or lactation consulant about taking fenugreek.
  • angelamarit
    Options
    Hi!
    I'm new to this site. I have a 3 year old son, and my daughter will be 11 weeks on Thursday. I am nursing, but since I'm back to work, I'm pumping a lot. I read online that 1oz of breastmilk equals 20 calories. I'm glad the site lets you add breastmilk to your daily diary, though it is weird that it's part of your food. I wish that they had other daily activities like laundry, dishes and other household chores or yard work... I don't know about you guys, but I spend a good hour a day at least cleaning up around the house.
  • Tzavush
    Tzavush Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Hi!
    I'm new to this site. I have a 3 year old son, and my daughter will be 11 weeks on Thursday. I am nursing, but since I'm back to work, I'm pumping a lot. I read online that 1oz of breastmilk equals 20 calories. I'm glad the site lets you add breastmilk to your daily diary, though it is weird that it's part of your food. I wish that they had other daily activities like laundry, dishes and other household chores or yard work... I don't know about you guys, but I spend a good hour a day at least cleaning up around the house.
    those other chores can be found under cardio exercises
  • thegoodner
    thegoodner Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad I saw this thread! I am nursing my 7 month old son, but only three times a day at this point. I had no idea we could add it to the food journal that way (I decided to use the per oz method since I know how much he takes when I pump and bottle feed). Thanks ladies! and feel free to add me as a friend...I'm new as well :)