Question about calories-can anyone help??

Options
I have a question-I am new to mfp. When I add in my foods it deducts from my 1200 calories a day-when i add in my exercise it gives me back calories to "eat". Today we went for 2 -two mile walks-would I really-after 7pm try to eat those 400 calories to be at the recommended 1200 calories a day? Now it is telling me I still have over 600 calories to eat !! Help!! Thanks so much for any advice!!

Replies

• babygurl48
    babygurl48 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    you don't have to eat your calories back. i only eat them sometimes and even then, not all of them.
  • wannalosew8
    wannalosew8 Posts: 21
    Options
    In general, I would suggest you eat your exercise calories but it is really up to you. When you exercise, you burn calories and MFP adds them back in to ensure you eat enough calories to meet the weight loss parameters it has set for you. It is up to you really. In other programs I have done, you could save you exercise calories and have a splurge later in the week.
  • MrsZMartin
    MrsZMartin Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    This is a much talked, and debated, about issue here on MFP. Search the forums for the full range of responses.

Here is a basic explanation: you need to focus on the NET calories you are consuming. Your body needs at least 1200 NET CALORIES to run through normal daily activities. You don't have to eat back all of your exercise calories all the time; you don't even have to look at them that closely, b/c unless you're using a good heart rate monitor, there is no way for a site, or piece of workout equipment, or any other calculator using solely your age and/or weight, to accurately measure how many calories you burn for a given exercise. Focus on the net, and keep logging! Good luck!
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    At 1200 calories I would suggest eating them back. As for time, there is no evidence that I have ever seen that shows that eating at night has any negative effect on fat loss. Usually the problem with eating at night is that people start snacking and can't stop so they eat substantially above their calorie budget. If you stay within your calorie budget you can eat all your calories, but if you are someone who can't sleep or gets an upset stomach from eating at night. I would suggest eating at least part of your calories. If you have some cottage cheese eat that as the primary protein is a nice slow digesting one.
  • cac214
    cac214 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Not if you want to lose weight. You have to be minus 3500 calories to lose 1 lb. So you are on your way!
  • lovinglife71
    lovinglife71 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    It's a huge debate as u can tell, everyone see's it differently. They say your suppose to eat all your calories back that your burn, to keep your body from going into starvation mode, I find that if I eat all my calories back, I don't loose, so usually I will eat back have my calories I burned. I believe it's more of a trial and error. Find what works best for u!! In other words if your are eating the right foods and exercising and u do decide to eat your calories that your burned and you don't see any change, then it may mean you need to only eat half. If you decide to not eat calories burned, then it may mean you need to eat more!!! Everybody is different!!!!
  • hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    make sure those numbers are accurate with a hrm.
  • denisemichele
    denisemichele Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!!!!
  • supermom66
    supermom66 Posts: 8
    Options
    There are a lot of opinions about this. At 1,200 calories, you really need to keep up the nutrition in your body. If you exercise and calories are added to your daily intake, eat those calories! But make sure those calories are good calories. Grab extra protein to eat so that your muscles can rebuild. If you don't eat the right foods, you will start to have your muscles waste away. Also, get your vegetables and fruits intake as well. However, with any weight loss, start to look at building muscle. Muscle will burn the fat and kick start your metabolism. Proteins should be broken down to lean and very lean too. Stay away from fatty proteins. Chicken, light fish, turkey, egg whites and undenatured whey protein powders are good choices. Ground sirloin, hard boiled eggs and salmon are good in moderation. Find protein that is about 3 grams of fat per one ounce. Hope this helps. There's a lot more information out there. Talk to your doctor or a nutritionalist on how much protein you should be eating. Watch the sodium and saturated fat too! Best of luck! Eat healthy for you.