So hard to eat healthy in this house

Options
So I live at home, and I am currently the only one eating healthy. My famly has tried to do it before many times, so they know what they should and shouldnt eat. They are also aware that I am logging my food and trying to lose weight.
However, I feel sabotaged on a day to day basis. My mom buys some healthy stuff, but buys white bread, oreos, tortilla chips(full salt and fat), and cup o noodles. Its about half and half. She does buy lots of fruit, the Hillshire Farms lunch meat, and stuff to make sandwhiches.
However, come dinner and dessert time, it changes. Huge portions are made, bbq chicken, steaks, fatty meat, mac and cheese, full fat rice. Some of the stuff is manageable and healthy enough, but other times its not.. Lately my mom has been making tons of dessert stuff. She buys the low cal creamcicles which i love. But she also makes brownies, cobbler with vanilla ice cream, pie, caramel popcorn balls, and tonight is making pineapple upside down cake. I dont want to offend her by not eating her desserts, because just the other day she was wondering why her caramel popcorn balls werent being diminished and wondered if they tasted okay etc.

How can avoid all this sabotage, and steer clear from the dessert? My parents know how I struggle with my weight and what a big deal it is.

Replies

• madmisskelly
    Options
    So I live at home, and I am currently the only one eating healthy. My famly has tried to do it before many times, so they know what they should and shouldnt eat. They are also aware that I am logging my food and trying to lose weight.
    However, I feel sabotaged on a day to day basis. My mom buys some healthy stuff, but buys white bread, oreos, tortilla chips(full salt and fat), and cup o noodles. Its about half and half. She does buy lots of fruit, the Hillshire Farms lunch meat, and stuff to make sandwhiches.
    However, come dinner and dessert time, it changes. Huge portions are made, bbq chicken, steaks, fatty meat, mac and cheese, full fat rice. Some of the stuff is manageable and healthy enough, but other times its not.. Lately my mom has been making tons of dessert stuff. She buys the low cal creamcicles which i love. But she also makes brownies, cobbler with vanilla ice cream, pie, caramel popcorn balls, and tonight is making pineapple upside down cake. I dont want to offend her by not eating her desserts, because just the other day she was wondering why her caramel popcorn balls werent being diminished and wondered if they tasted okay etc.

How can avoid all this sabotage, and steer clear from the dessert? My parents know how I struggle with my weight and what a big deal it is.
  • Fit2btied
    Options
    When you feel like you need to have the dessert your mother prepared, try the three bite rule. You are having her dessert and maintaining portion control that is healthier. You could also try announcing a new beginning! No sweets for the week...keep yummy fruit salads and such around as healthy alternatives. When week one goes by, extend it to the next week and so on. That's tough, I know, so good luck!
  • dothompson
    dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    I know it's tough and you have little environmental control. You need to stop worrying about offending your mom though. As a parent I can tell you that your happiness is her happiness. Ask her in advance to let you know when it's desert time and go for a walk. On days that it's something you want to eat, have two or three bites, then even if it isn't true say " oh, I ate too much dinner, I'm afraid I can't finish this delicious..." It will reinforce in your mind who you are and what you're doing.

Good luck!!! You're going to do well.
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    I'll agree with the above poster - your happiness is her happiness - she wants to know what YOU want to eat, so tell her. And if you're encouraged to do so, make a small reasonable list of things you know you want to eat as a part of your lifestyle changing efforts. It doesn't sound like your food choices would be above and beyond the "norm". Also, if you can cook, offer to be the cook a couple nights a week - your efforts might be welcome! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • heartshapdworld
    heartshapdworld Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Girl, I feel you...my situation was a little different. I come from a family of just naturally very tall, very thin people. My twin and I were the only "big" ones. My mom bought all kinds of goodies-she nor my little sister do not have any reason to conscious of their weight.

I hate to tell you, but the temptations and the real success did not come until after I moved out. When I moved out, I just didn't buy the goodies, so I was able to manage my weight better.
  • WannaBeAButterfly
    Options
    I feel your pain. I keep getting off track because everyone around me is eating whatever they want. I get so feed up with counting calories. I think maybe the best thing to do is not to say no to the brownies etc but you can eat just a little bit and then burn off those extra cals with a workout.
  • OomarianneoO
    OomarianneoO Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. I keep getting off track because everyone around me is eating whatever they want. I get so feed up with counting calories. I think maybe the best thing to do is not to say no to the brownies etc but you can eat just a little bit and then burn off those extra cals with a workout.

I am SO there! I've been doing really well until today when my hubby came in with a dozen doughnuts from Krispy Kreme. :noway: Not only did I give in to the temptation, I gave in hard! By 3:00 I had eaten four glazed doughnuts! :frown:
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    When I still lived at home, I just bought the healthy snacks I wanted for myself, and politely said 'no thank you' to dessert. No one is trying to sabotage you; they are just making things they find tasty. You will always be faced with temptation, whether you're living at home or you're on your own and going grocery shopping. When my cart is full of fat free milk, steamed veggies, and chicken tenderloins, and then I walk by the bakery section and see caramel cupcakes and huge choco chip cookies, I am SO tempted! It's worse than being at home, because I know I could eat the whole package to myself LOL. But the store isn't trying to sabotage me, it's just selling to people who want that yummy stuff, and I just have to practice self control and not buy it.