Improving/changing running technique?

Options
12by311
12by311 Posts: 1,716 Member
I'm trying to change my running form. I've discovered I land on my heel. I know this is a no-no and has probably been the cause of some major hip pain in the past.

So, tonight while running on the treadmill, I practiced landing mid-ball or whatever and kicking my heel to butt. When I did this, my calves burned, I landed loudly, and my shoulders had more movement.

I know it's going to take a conscious effort right now to change my form. Any pointers? Anyone had to retrain themselves running?

Replies

• 12by311
    Options
    Bueller?......... Bueller?

Just bringing this back up in case someone has some input.

Also, after running 5 miles really concentrating on my form, my ankles and lower legs (below calves) are sore. These parts of my legs have never been sore.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    All of the soreness you are experiencing is normal. It will fade as your legs become conditioned to the new form.

But - Land lightly. Run like a ninja.

You don't really need to be kicking your legs that far up in the back unless you are doing it as a drill. Run lightly, efficiently, and comfortably.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Do you do any running outside?
    I know for me attempting proper form on a treadmill is much more difficult than when I run outside.

I don't really want to say I had to completely retrain myself, but I do feel that doing the whole "barefoot" running thing has really helped me to make my stride more efficient. It kind of forces you without having to think & concentrate.

That seems pretty normal that your lower legs are sore too, at least that was certainly the case for me when switching over to running in vibrams.
  • ilsie99
    ilsie99 Posts: 259
    Options
    Try to increase your cadence to as close to 180 BPM as you can get.
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    Google "Pose Running".

I worked at changing my gait from severe heel striker to midfoot runner over a period of about a year and I haven't looked back.
  • 12by311
    Options
    All of the soreness you are experiencing is normal. It will fade as your legs become conditioned to the new form.

But - Land lightly. Run like a ninja.

You don't really need to be kicking your legs that far up in the back unless you are doing it as a drill. Run lightly, efficiently, and comfortably.

Thanks! I've never been a loud runner (kinda my pet peeve when I'm running races), but just noticed I was landing louder when I was hitting on mid-ball. I guess I'll have to concentrate more until it becomes more natural. Heels weren't all the way up to butt....not like heel kicks. Just higher than normal to keep from landing on heel.

Do you do any running outside?
    I know for me attempting proper form on a treadmill is much more difficult than when I run outside.

I don't really want to say I had to completely retrain myself, but I do feel that doing the whole "barefoot" running thing has really helped me to make my stride more efficient. It kind of forces you without having to think & concentrate.

That seems pretty normal that your lower legs are sore too, at least that was certainly the case for me when switching over to running in vibrams.

Yes. I have a baby though and lately it's been more dreadmill unfortunately. I don't have any vibrams. But this youtube vid I watched said to run without shoes and take note of how you land (I guess that's why the vibrams help with this). I did that and tried to do the same with shoes on.

So do you still get sore there? Are you used to it now?
    Check out the book Chi Running. They talk extensively about the midfoot strike and many other technique tips-both form and mental approach-that I find very instructive.

That's what I've been studying up on lately. I haven't read the book. But I've been looking at stuff online and on youtube. Thanks!
    Try to increase your cadence to as close to 180 BPM as you can get.

Thanks!
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    Someone used the analogy once to "run like you're on hot coals"... It's a good way to explain it. Light strike, high cadence.
  • ValMol
    ValMol Posts: 4
    Options
    Cant say enough about Chi Running. Get the book and read it. If you think you need additional help, I highly recommend going to one of the half day workshops. It helped me immensely!

Good luck!
  • nikki_zav
    nikki_zav Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I 3rd the ChiRunning. I'm halfway through the book and went for my first 'ChiRun' yesterday. Switched back to my old form a few times to see the difference mid-run and WOW!!! I picked the book up from my library (though I'll probably be buying it now).