my polar counts

my Polar F4 calorie counter counts what exactly? Just the calories I use exercising? What if I wore it and went into a deep sleep for 24 hours? Would the number it comes up with be my BMR? OR if I wore it for a whole day doing my normal activity would that be the calories I've burnt ON TOP of my BMR?
I know its a stupid question but I was just wondering!

Replies

• my Polar F4 calorie counter counts what exactly? Just the calories I use exercising? What if I wore it and went into a deep sleep for 24 hours? Would the number it comes up with be my BMR? OR if I wore it for a whole day doing my normal activity would that be the calories I've burnt ON TOP of my BMR?
  • Emdicio
    Emdicio Posts: 270 Member
    my Polar F4 calorie counter counts what exactly? Just the calories I use exercising? What if I wore it and went into a deep sleep for 24 hours? Would the number it comes up with be my BMR? OR if I wore it for a whole day doing my normal activity would that be the calories I've burnt ON TOP of my BMR?

You got it exactly right. When in exercise mode it records your actual calorie usage. If you left it on all day (24 hours) it would be an accurate indicator of your normal daily calorie requirement (not your BMR; that's "you in a coma"). No stupid questions! :drinker:
  • marshall153
    marshall153 Posts: 150 Member
  • marshall153
    marshall153 Posts: 150 Member
    ohh... so my BMR + my actual calorie usage = apporx. how many calories I used to not just be alive but do everything I do in my day
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    I think I am going to do this just to see what I burn in a day. I left it on for 2 hours after my exercise yesterday. I was just sitting watching tv (yeh, i know not too smart!) for both hours.

The 1st hour I burned twice as much as the 2nd hour. I am assuming this has to do with revved metabolism and such.

Today I will keep moving after my work out and see what happens!
  • Guess I need to exercise my mind as well, I keep meaning to do this, but then I forget!:laugh:
  • mlillie
    mlillie Posts: 302
    I tried the 24 hour thing and in the middle of it was told by a person who knows their stuff that you actually cant judge your BMR by wearing it for 24 hours.....it is meant to calculate exercise cal but she found in her graduate school that it does not accurately count BMR and will show yours to be much higher....I was kinda bummed because it was a fun experiment for a bit.
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    If I remember correctly banks contacted Polar to find out exactly and got mixed results. Supposedly they calculate the calories burnt by your heart rate and then subtract your bmr, leaving you with actual calories burnt.

However I think the results he got back when he wrote to them were in poor Engrish, so I don't know for sure :)
  • VanessaC
    VanessaC Posts: 126 Member
    Ok so let me get this straight since I was wondering the same thing. If it says that I burned 400 calories doing a 40 minute workout then those are the extra calories I burned by working out and do not include regular calories just from being alive?
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    Ok so let me get this straight since I was wondering the same thing. If it says that I burned 400 calories doing a 40 minute workout then those are the extra calories I burned by working out and do not include regular calories just from being alive?

Never did get an accurate response from this question (from Polar or anyone else), so we really don't know.