Needs some input!

Options
please read my blog at http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/karizmah78/view/scared-105341 and help me!

SCARED!!!!!!! (Edit post)
Posted on 05/20/2011 by karizmah78

Well yesterday turned out a whole hell of a lot different than I thought it wasgoing to.

Let me back up and give a little history. I have had High Blood Pressure for about 6 years. Last year (April 8, 2010) I went into Rapid A-fib. At which time I found out I have high Cholesteral - Tryglicerides (around 300) and my LDLs are low. OK so I am now in Normal Sinus Rhythm but still have HTN and brought my Tryglicerides down to 199 but my LDLs are still low. I am 32 years old, I weigh over 200 lbs and am 5'2" tall.

So yesterday I went to my Cardiologist..... He looked at me and said "I am going to lay the cards out on the table here." He then told me that I have the heart of a 70 year old. I have 3 options for the next 10 years. 1. Get a heart transplant (mind you hearts are not easy to come by). 2. I will die or 3. I will get weight loss surgery (Lap-band is what he wants).

After going through about a box or so of kleenex - I am opting for #3. And this is where my journey begins....

I have printed out the 9 page packet that I must complete prior to going to the Education Seminar. I have registered for the Education Seminar on June 27.

I am scared. I am scared that this drastic sx will speed up my process but that my love affair with food will interfere. FEEDBACK!?! I fear that I will end up with extra skin and an even worse body image than I have now. I would love to hear from peeps who have had weight loss sx. I want to hear the good, the bad and the ugly!!!!

Replies

• Melbel85
    Melbel85 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    You really need to look for support groups for people with lap band. My best friend had the surgery just over 2 years ago, she has lost 80 lbs. She has learned that her body can not take all the food she used to eat, it was a huge life style change for her! I hope nothing but the best for you!
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I have nothing against weight loss surgery, but you realize that as part of your prep you will be required to take off some weight prior to the surgery, correct?

If you can take off enough weight pre-surgery, you may be able to just keep going with a healthy eating plan and forgo the surgery.

Couple of thoughts (my mom has a-fib and HBP, though her cholesterol and HDL/LDL are fine, 5'6" and at least 280lbs):

-Everyone who has A-fib is automatically supposed to be referred for a sleep study as sleep apnea is commonly associated with A-fib and DRAMATICALLY increases your stroke risk. This recommendation came out in the last 10 years or so, so ask your cardiologist for a referral.

My mom's doc did not refer her for a sleep study, but she eventually got one anyway and turned out to have severe obstructive apnea. While waiting for her CPAP machine, she had 2 strokes. DON'T BE MY MOM--GET A SLEEP STUDY ASAP!

-Did your doc put you on a blood thinner? He should have. When you have A-fib, blood pools in the upper chambers of the heart, where it forms clots. If one of these gets thrown to your brain, you have a stroke. Don't let them tell you a daily aspirin is enough--it's not. My mom was on aspirin til she had the second stroke(she didn't realize she'd even had the first one--they found evidence of it when she had the second, more major stroke). You need to be on Coumadin or something similar. TODAY.

Wishing you the best of luck!
  • abbie017
    abbie017 Posts: 410
    Options
    I don't know what you're going through, but just wanted to let you know that I'm sending you positive thoughts and hoping for the best for you! I'm sure it was awful to hear what your doctor had to say, but at least he was being up front with you and giving you the chance to change your life before it's too late. Good luck in your endeavors, I know you can do it!

Feel free to add me as a friend if you'd like some extra support, or an ear to listen, or anything! :)
  • kathott
    kathott Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Hi there. my name is Kathleen. i live north of you in Ontario Canada. i read your post and I want to offer you my support here on
    MFP. we are all going thru our own live adventure here but you seem to be struggling a bit more with yours.
    Let me first say that having worked for years in Cardiac care i applaud your doctor for "laying out the cards" . As for the option of
    surgery, I can only say that is ultimately your decision and yours only. I think you might benefit from some education and information seeking sessions from the surgeon/clinic before you make your final decision. all medical decisions need thorough
    investigation and you, ultimately, have to be 110 percent sure of your decision.
    obviously, things are at a critical point and now you must make the decision that your love of food is not as important as your
    love for your children & husband. I know easier said then done! I get that. When I started my journey, i was told i had become
    pre-diabetic and my cholestreol was up too. I am about to hit 50yrs old. When I was your age, i had a career ending accident and had to adjust my life because of this. Change is difficult but it is not impossible. Change is scary but you will soon find it was the best thing that ever happened to you.
    Consider some counselling so you can deal with some of the issues of self esteem etc. You made a comment on your profile about "wanting to be a trophy" on your husbands arm....admirable but your journey has to be "for you" ...i dont know your hubby
    but i bet his concern is your health not how you look on his arm.

i hope you only the best on your journey. if you want to friend me, please feel free to do so.... I look forward to see how your journey continues.....
    I wish you only the best.....
    Kathleen
  • Fleur933
    Fleur933 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Good luck and Godbless!