Greetings from a Wheelchair user!

Options
I am based in the UK near York. I am battling with weight gain (most are otherwise you would doing other stuff).
As I can only get around safely in a wheelchair, losing cals is difficult. I used to exercise alot before my stroke. It is a well known fact that exercise as well as a controlled intake is the way to lose it and stay at target weight.
Now I have another challenge as well as all my others, I would love to hear from anyone who is a position to support me in my mission, particularly any chair users.
Bye for now - MikeyGB (GB stands for Great Britain, which it was)

Replies

• htebaram
    htebaram Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Good luck to you over-coming your challenges. Maybe there are some chair exercises you can do. Your therapist should be able to give you some tips. :flowerforyou:
  • redfroggie
    redfroggie Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I work out at our local leisure center and there is a gentleman that comes in weekly who is in a wheelchair, the instructors help him with a variety of exercises including bench pressing weights. He is paralyzed from the waist down. Check with your local counsil to see whats available maybe. Good luck!
  • wheelieblade
    wheelieblade Posts: 323
    Options
    Hi Mikey, will offer any support I can, has your physio suggested any specific exercises due to your stroke? Feel free to add.

Good luck from one wheelie to another
  • AllyS7
    AllyS7 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    My brother is a paraplegic (unfortunate accident with poor choices as a teenager) and was a born athlete. At first all he would do was practice moving from his wheelchair to a chair/bed constantly and he said it was a great burn in his arms. He has a stander (im not sure how limited you are) but him just standing for a while,with support, gives him a workout. He also has dumbbells and could use a bench or incline machine if he has a spotter (as should anyone). For cardio he literally just goes for a mile or two stroll making sure he keeps his heart-rate up.

I'd say getting a Heart Rate Monitor would be the easiest to measure how many calories you are burning because of your unique situation.
  • MikeyGB
    MikeyGB Posts: 5
    Options
    Hi Guys

Many thanks for your welcome to me. I really appreciate all the help you have given and offered to me. Even got a couple of friends as well.

Many thanks and Best of Luck to all

Mike xx