JE NE COMPRENDS PAS!!!

Options
So here's my little rant of the day! I keep looking around the forums seeing sooo many people who started around the same time I did...who weighed around what I weighed and they are (congratulations by the way) KICKING MY SORRY *kitten*!!!!!

I am logging food like there's no tommorow.

I work out all the time ( and considering I NEVER in my life used those words before I think that's pretty good).

I admit, I still eat things when I crave them...cut to the icecream I had last night....

But..I thought that's what you're supposed to do. Change but not flip your life over if you want the weight to come off and stay off. I thought that looking back at what I used to eat(dear goodness it was bad) and how I used to be when I was active at all (can you say WHEEZE)....

I am seeing the scale and the inches move...but I guess today I'm jealous...and a little angry with myself for getting into this mess.

Advice and hints accepted. I'd love to hear your favorite lean recipes....but...I just needed to vent.

Merci de m'avoir m'ecoute!
ME:sad:

Replies

• sarahbeth17
    sarahbeth17 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Anytime you are hungry drink a bunch of water first and wait.... and I personally still have sweets but they are all sugar free! Ice cream and russell stover makes a lot of sugar free candies that I think are just as good as the real thing. And even then I limit myself to one and walk away, last night I had a sweet tooth so I made coffee, used stevia as the sweetener and a little bit of milk, so it was prob less than 10 calories! Hope it helps!
  • kryscas
    kryscas Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    You'll get there!! :)

What type and how much icecream?? When I get a craving for ice cream, I have a real fruit frozen bar. It's not ice cream at all but it's sweet and frozen and makes my brain happy! lol and it's only 50 calories!
  • clahut
    clahut Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    HI,

From what I can see on your signature - you have already lost 40lbs which is a lot! And way more than 10% of your starting body weight - so you must be starting to feel a lot better in yourself than you did when you started.

I know how easy it is to get disheartened after a success like that. You lose loads but you still think about what there is to go - and it can still seem daunting. I know, I am there. Almost halfway to goal weight and I have ground to a halt. And it is entirely my own fault for not following the same plan that got the original success.

Allow yourself a little time to congratulate yourself on how well you have done, and try to remember that healthy eating is a journey for the rest of your life. And with renewed focus, it will all fall into place again and you will lose more over the coming weeks and months.

You've done fab so far and you know that you'll never go back to where you were before - and that is more than half the battle! Stick in there and you'll be just fine! :happy:
  • midonhau
    midonhau Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    A great site to visit is www.eatright.org They have great videos and podcasts you can watch/listen to.

Bottom line: change is not going to happen overnight. You need to be more focussed on eating healthy and exercising regularly....the results will come

Bonne Chance!!!! :happy:
  • fitterpam
    fitterpam Posts: 3,086 Member
    Options
    One thing I learned - don't compare notes. Your body chemistries are different (and I'm speaking as someone who lost more than average at the beginning). You are fighting your own battle - and doing it for the right reasons. Definitely focus on YOU....focusing on others is what got you into the mess :)

My favourite lean recipe....hmmmmmm......Chicken soup!!!!

1 tablespoon butter
    1 (2 to 3 pound) whole chicken, cut into pieces
    1 onion, chopped
    5 carrots, chopped
    6 potatoes, cubed
    2 teaspoons dried savory
    salt to taste
    ground black pepper to taste

Melt butter in cooking pot, brown chicken with chopped onions. Add water to cover. Simmer for 30 minutes.
    Add carrots, potatoes, and savory. Simmer some more until vegetables are cooked. Salt and pepper to taste.

It's all whole foods, which is what matters more to me but if you want to make it a little easier on the carbs or cals - sub in noodles or rice for the potatoes (about a cup or so).

Good luck on YOUR journey!!!
  • guppygirl322
    guppygirl322 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Don't give up! Sometimes it does take a while to get your metabolism to kick in and get the scales going in the right direction. I haven't lost any weight this week, and I can see how it can be discouraging BUT, it is better to maintain, than gain!!!!! As long as you are going in the right direction (down), you are ahead of the game.

I cheat. I'd probably be a lot closer to my goal weight now if I didn't. But I cheat a lot less than I did two months ago, and two months from now maybe I will cheat even less. I have learned not to use food to treat myself with, that is the hard part. I lose a few pounds and I want to celebrate! Keep doing what you're doing. I don't know how much you are working out, but if it is too much maybe you are too hungry? I only walk since I don't have a gym membership, and I must confess that I get jealous too when I see people burning 600 calories on the eliptical to my piddly 95 calories from walking, lol.

You can do this.
  • dd_salas
    dd_salas Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    When you work out, are you doing the same thing every day, or do you jumble things up? I noticed the biggest improvement when I started mixing things up. Our bodies are excellent at getting efficient at doing a task - in something like 2 weeks of the same activity every day, we will use half the calories than the first time we did it. Keep up the great work!!! (oh, and I have ice cream sometimes too. Screw the sugar free crap - when I want ice cream, I want some damn ice cream!)
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    Try not to cheat. And when you do, do it once a day of the week. If you keep eating crappy foods every day of the week you will get used to it.
    What's your height and weight? You can also be eating too few calories (happens around here a LOT)
  • Bviera
    Bviera Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    It's not a competition or a race. We're here to support each other in the journey and it will take longer for some people than others because all our bodies work differently. You also don't know what others have done to lose their weight either... their activity levels, their fitness levels... again, everyone is different. As long as you're losing, and are eating healthy, and are feeling good about yourself, forget how much others have lost. You'll get there eventually.
  • imgonnadoit123
    imgonnadoit123 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    You've lost a lot already...seems your right on track. Great job so far! Drink water and find a very very low calorie food you can eat when you've got a craving. I find that when I hit a plateau I need to actually eat MORE one day and then go back to my goal calories the next day (zig-zag). This tends to kick my weight loss back in gear.
  • emsibun
    emsibun Posts: 208
    Options
    I feel the same way sometimes: I lost a lot of weight pretty steadily before I joined MFP and my last 25 pounds is going s.l.o.w.l.y.

Some small things you can try to change from what I've read on these boards that might help:

Change your workout routine - I was walking LOTS - I've replaced a little of my walking with swimming, Zumba, Calisthenics, and I've joined a gym.

Vary what you eat everyday - eat different things i.e. dont get into the routine of the same thing for breakfast everyday.

Vary how much you eat everyday - this is called 'Zig Zagging' and there are many posts about it on these forums if you search for them.

Take a multivitamin supplement every day.

Eat at least half of your exercise calories back.

Persist with your changes and don't disheartened after one week if you dont lose weight or if you gain a pound or two after making a change. Stick it out.

I hope that helps

Take care x
  • alienblonde1
    alienblonde1 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    I sometimes feel this way when I see my MFP friends losing faster/more then me. BUT I have to realize this isn't a race and I want a healthier life not just to lose. Most people who lose too fast end up gaining their weight back.

I want to lose AND I want to be healthier. Have you been to a Dr recently? In the first year of trying to lose weight on my own before MFP I only lost 8 lbs. BUT I lowered my cholesterol, blood pressure and have a normal fasting blood sugar level. Before I started losing weight my Dr told me if I kept going the way I was I would be on cholesterol/blood and diabetes meds.
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,270 Member
    Options
    Since February you have lost 20 pounds. That is 5 pounds a month which is great and a better average than I have although maybe similar for when I was 1st on here before my plateauish time. However my goal was 1 pound a week. For awhile 2 pounds a week is fine but for the long run it may not really be that great for you. I want to lose the weight in such a way that I can easily keep it off forever. I also do not want any loose skin. I do not just want to lose weight I want to get healthier and fitter and yes that does mean losing weight but that is not all. I have seen people lose alot of weight on here and not really exercise much if at all. That just isn't my goal. Before MFP I started exercising and thought I would naturally lose. I didn't think I was eating more but without logging who knew right? I have seen so many people on here lose so much more in the 9 months I have been on here. I have also seen them post about loose skin, or disapear for months on end, some come back with or without the weight loss they achieved. I plug away and 1) I stopped gaining Yay 2) I am losing Yay 3) I log in everyday even if I once forgot to push the submit button Yay. 4) I exercise, some times enough others alot Yay 5) I have made progress in eating less junk and more healthy food Yay 5) I know I will continue to lose, I will not gain back what I lost and I have stopped that slow gain that those my age typically see.Yay 6) I learned that periods of not losing but maintaining a loss have more benefit than they may seem. If you are exercising you continue to firm and even slim up. You practice maintaining and it isn't a piece of cake at least not as you get older.Yay If you have significant weight to lose you will go through different challenges and it takes some thinking. It should take some time as well. Frankly I think you are right. Studies show that people who diet in a very strict way can keep it up for only a certain amount of months and usually they make alot of progress. Hopefully they take a break maintain and come back again. However some are not so lucky. I am sure there are some on here that are able to continue to eat perfectly, exercise perfectly for years on end and lose significant weight as quickly as possible and also have avoided loose skin. Yay. But they are not the norm. You have to do this your way whatever that is and to me it seems you are doing it and doing it well. I have found that there have been so many bad habits that have just disapeared by the simple act of daily logging my food and exercise. By doing it my mind sees the problem areas that are revealed and when it gets a chance it seems to self correct. Yes I have ice cream or gelato once in awhile but not very often. I can take my daughter for ice cream after her dance rehearsal and know she can have this but I do not need it. Then on a day I have eaten healthily and have exercised enough that I have a great amount of calories left I might have a small bowl of ice cream if and only if I am craving it that night. Otherwise it is an orange or a small square of dark chocolate and a glass of water. The acheivement isn't that I do this it is that I do this without feeling deprived. For me it means I will stick to this. You have to figure out what will makes sure you stick to this and do it. What someone else does hopefully works for them.