So glad I took my measurements before/after

Options
arewethereyet
arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
When I started on this site in June I saw a few threads that suggested taking your measurements.

MFP'ers had issues with no weight loss for a few weeks, but working out like crazy. Of course fiting in those old jeans can be pretty accurate, but during a 'down' time measuring will bring you up again just as effectivingly.

I have been at a plateau for a few weeks. I havent lost 2 lbs a week as I had hoped since the 1st week of my 'liveit' and I will go for 2-3 wks with nothing, then 1-2 pounds loss shows up on the scale.

So...it has been a few weeks since I have lost weight. I was getting depressed. After reading a few threads, I decided it was time to pull out the tape measure.

OMG I am down 15 inches total! I have a waist. This is just what I needed to get back to the gym and do another work out. :noway: :bigsmile:

The H*** with the scale...me and my tape measure are best buds now! :smooched: :smooched:

Replies

• arewethereyet
    Options
    When I started on this site in June I saw a few threads that suggested taking your measurements.

MFP'ers had issues with no weight loss for a few weeks, but working out like crazy. Of course fiting in those old jeans can be pretty accurate, but during a 'down' time measuring will bring you up again just as effectivingly.

I have been at a plateau for a few weeks. I havent lost 2 lbs a week as I had hoped since the 1st week of my 'liveit' and I will go for 2-3 wks with nothing, then 1-2 pounds loss shows up on the scale.

So...it has been a few weeks since I have lost weight. I was getting depressed. After reading a few threads, I decided it was time to pull out the tape measure.

OMG I am down 15 inches total! I have a waist. This is just what I needed to get back to the gym and do another work out. :noway: :bigsmile:

The H*** with the scale...me and my tape measure are best buds now! :smooched: :smooched:
  • Mely
    Mely Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Cool.

BTW - how's it going with your new HRM?
  • bethskiles
    Options
    88002.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Diary

:noway: WOW!! Congratulations! Doesn't it feel good???? Beth S
  • iftcheiaf
    iftcheiaf Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    tape-measure-smile.gif

That is totally awesome!!! Sometimes I think the scale is just too evil for words. Mine is always broken (maybe I shouldn't have thrown it again the wall so many times :blushing: )

Keep up the great work!!!
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    Cool.

I love it! :heart: :heart: It records your workouts daily, and gives you a report at the end of the week.

I went for a quote on getting a personal trainer because I didnt know how to 'kick it up a notch'.
    1800 bucks for 25 sessions...that is a car in my world! (3 kids going to college at the same time!)
    I told my husband who quickly gave the 100 bucks to get the HRM!

I had an issue with exercising more than 30 minutes, unless it was a strength training day.
    Now I put the HRM on. It keeps me in the zone and I can see the calories burned.
    I CANT stop until I see 300 ! It is such a motivater.

I highly reccomend the investment.
  • Mely
    Mely Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I can't wait to get mine too. I also can't do more than 30 minutes unless it's Pilates. I'm working my way up though. Good going on the inches and excercise.
  • last25
    Options
    Cool.

I love it! :heart: :heart: It records your workouts daily, and gives you a report at the end of the week.

I went for a quote on getting a personal trainer because I didnt know how to 'kick it up a notch'.
    1800 bucks for 25 sessions...that is a car in my world! (3 kids going to college at the same time!)
    I told my husband who quickly gave the 100 bucks to get the HRM!

I had an issue with exercising more than 30 minutes, unless it was a strength training day.
    Now I put the HRM on. It keeps me in the zone and I can see the calories burned.
    I CANT stop until I see 300 ! It is such a motivater.

I highly reccomend the investment.

Which type of HRM did you get? I've been looking for a good one that measures not only your HR but also calculates calories burned.
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    I have the Polar F6.

they have an F11 but I think that is more for the really hardcore exercise peeps.

I put in my height, weight, age. It calculates the HR for mild, moderate, heavy workouts. You can then choose which zone you want to work in.

It is really user friendly-if I can use it without asking for my sons help, anyone can.

Do I choose moderate (121-138) zone. You can choose if you want the alarm on, it will beep if outside of the zone (I find this annoying) you can easily go between screens to see if your in the zone and how many calories you have burned. Now THAT is the best motivator.

I see the calories are 258 and I want an even 300 so keep exercising to get there! Also I like to dance to get my exercise-I cant believe I never logged those cals cuz they are HIGH!

I love it!
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    oh yeah and you can get weekly, monthly reports.
  • PhotographerOfNature
    Options
    Polar F6!!! I love mine. Its all right on top of the watch. You can watch your heart rate and watch the calories burned add up.
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    Polar F6!!! I love mine. Its all right on top of the watch. You can watch your heart rate and watch the calories burned add up.

YEAH!!!:love::love: :love:
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    now if they could just invent something that would record the calories going IN...can you imagine the alarm on that thing?

"step away from the fridge"
  • Emdicio
    Emdicio Posts: 270 Member
    Options

YEAH!!!:love::love: :love:

+1, love the F6. I love knowing exactly how many calories I burned (and finding out that the exercise database overestimated calories burned for me).
  • pinktoque
    pinktoque Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I've been thinking of investing in a HRM (have one on my christmas list already) -- but I have a quick question about using it during workouts.

Don't you have to take the number of calories it said you burned during your 30 minute workout and SUBTRACT the "at rest" calories your body would've been burning on its own for those 30 minutes from that to get an accurate picture of exactly how many calories came from exercise for that 30 min period?

So for example, let's say you use your HRM while at rest for 30 minutes and see that you burned 20 calories just at rest (made up number). Then later during your 30 minute workout the HRM says you burned 400 calories. Don't you have to take 400 - 20 to get the more accurate picture of how many exercise calories you burned? So I'd have only burned 380 instead of 400 during my workout?

I just want to be sure I know how to use it properly and all before I invest! Thanks for any help :)
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    I've been thinking of investing in a HRM (have one on my christmas list already) -- but I have a quick question about using it during workouts.

Don't you have to take the number of calories it said you burned during your 30 minute workout and SUBTRACT the "at rest" calories your body would've been burning on its own for those 30 minutes from that to get an accurate picture of exactly how many calories came from exercise for that 30 min period?

So for example, let's say you use your HRM while at rest for 30 minutes and see that you burned 20 calories just at rest (made up number). Then later during your 30 minute workout the HRM says you burned 400 calories. Don't you have to take 400 - 20 to get the more accurate picture of how many exercise calories you burned? So I'd have only burned 380 instead of 400 during my workout?

I just want to be sure I know how to use it properly and all before I invest! Thanks for any help :)

OMG I never thought of that!! This is why I love this site, so many intelligent people!

I dont know the answer. What you said makes perfect sense. When I work out on my elliptical machine I have always used the number it posts. Now I wonder if they take this into consideration, and that is why it is so much lower.

Thank goodness I have not eaten all of my work out calories each day.
  • Cassia
    Cassia Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    now if they could just invent something that would record the calories going IN...can you imagine the alarm on that thing?

"step away from the fridge"
    lol now that would be great!!:laugh:
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options

Depends really on what activity level you chose when you had MFP set your daily caloric goals. I chose "sedentary," as my job is not an active one. So when I exercise, I do try to eat all I burn, as I don't burn up a whole lot in a "normal" hour. However, I do usually leave about 100 or so of them just in case. Unless I do a very long ride--on those I can burn up 2500 calories and up, and no way I can eat all that!
  • arewethereyet
    Options

Depends really on what activity level you chose when you had MFP set your daily caloric goals. I chose "sedentary," as my job is not an active one. So when I exercise, I do try to eat all I burn, as I don't burn up a whole lot in a "normal" hour. However, I do usually leave about 100 or so of them just in case. Unless I do a very long ride--on those I can burn up 2500 calories and up, and no way I can eat all that!

Holy Moly Batman! 2500 calories!! I was happy to burn 300+! Haha.

Thanks for your post. I too set my at sedentary so I should be ok.
  • last25
    Options
    I have the Polar F6.

they have an F11 but I think that is more for the really hardcore exercise peeps.

I put in my height, weight, age. It calculates the HR for mild, moderate, heavy workouts. You can then choose which zone you want to work in.

It is really user friendly-if I can use it without asking for my sons help, anyone can.

Do I choose moderate (121-138) zone. You can choose if you want the alarm on, it will beep if outside of the zone (I find this annoying) you can easily go between screens to see if your in the zone and how many calories you have burned. Now THAT is the best motivator.

I see the calories are 258 and I want an even 300 so keep exercising to get there! Also I like to dance to get my exercise-I cant believe I never logged those cals cuz they are HIGH!

I love it!

That sounds like a really great one. Do you have to wear a chest strap or is it strap free?
  • barefootbabe
    barefootbabe Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I believe the F6 needs a strap. I have the F11 and LOVEEEEEE it :heart:

I got it on ebay for around $140- which was a steal cause RRP in Australia is $299!! :noway:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!