For those with children. . .

Options
poustotah
poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
So I took my 2 year old to the doctor for his checkup and lo and behold, the kid is in the 110% for his height and 20% for his weight - basically, he's tall and skinny. Now he eats ALL THE TIME but I don't keep crap in the house so he doesn't eat crap. He eats fruits and veggies and whole grain granola bars and yogurt. Lots of proteins, but no milk, etc. So anyway, the doctor tells me to try giving him Pediasure so that he'll get some extra calories. So I got some and gave it to him and he likes it okay. I started looking at the nutritional information and it's not really all that great. They're 240 calories with sugar and carbs and some vitamins. I compared it to the protein shakes that I drink - which are lower in carbs, calories, sugar and higher in protein and in all of the vitamins that the Pediasure has. I also noticed that the Pediasure has a lot of chemical in it that the protein shake doesn't have.

My question is does anyone know if it's safe to give a toddler a protein shake? He does eat protein bars (he likes them). If it's just calories that he needs, I'd hate to just give him empty garbage.

Replies

• frannyannemum
    frannyannemum Posts: 142
    Options
    Hi,

I know that some protein shakes do have warnings on them not to give to children under a certain age (not sure what that particular age is). I think (as long as the guidelines are followed) it should be ok to give a shake to your son. If he is ok with the bars and they are not upsetting his stomach, he should be ok with the shakes. Just try him with one and see how he goes with it.

P.S. You are doing really well with his feeding. My little man who was 3 last week will only eat bananas, chicken, burgers, yoghurt and chocolate.... cannot get anything else in him :(
  • lsd007
    lsd007 Posts: 435
    Options
    It's not like your 2 year old needs something that is lower in carbs and calories if he is underweight. I would ask his doctor. Also, I know boost makes a similar drink, you could check that one's nutritional info to see if it is any better.
  • crjugrl
    crjugrl Posts: 172
    Options
    I'm not a nutrition expert or anything, but I do work in a day care. Lots of the parents switch to pediasure when they're trying to get their kids to gain weight. So I know it has more calories, but it's for the purpose of the child's growth. Some people water it down with whole milk or water since it's pretty creamy and sweet. I've never heard of giving a child a protein shake, but maybe someone else will have some insight on that.
  • lsd007
    Options
    Also, I understand where you are coming from. My daughter was in the 13th percentile the last time she was charted! She has a very restrictive diet due to allergies, it gets very frustrating.
  • lsd007
    Options
    Sorry, double post.
  • mlemonroe2
    mlemonroe2 Posts: 603
    Options
    I have a very petite 16 month old and have always been worried about her weight. She dosn't eat a lot so I try to give her whole milk cheese and yogert every day. Avocados are also a very healthy fat. I just feel like it's better to give your kids real food. If you really want to try to give him the protein drink, you should ask your doctor what he thinks and tell him you are not comfortable giving him the pediasure becasuse of the carbs and sugar in it.
  • momtothreegirls
    Options
    I didn't read all the posts so hopefully I don't repeat someone. My doctor told me that when they are that young not to restrict anything they eat, they should not be on a "diet". I understand the watching what they consume and not allowing them to eat "junk", but if their dr is recommending this to add to their diet, then they probably need it. I wouldn't think an adult protein shake would be appropriate for a 2 year old, but check with your dr, they would be the one to know.
  • hsk11270
    hsk11270 Posts: 48
    Options
    Why not try just making a yummy toddler type smoothie for him maybe without the protien powder......try a nutty monkey (banana and peanutbutter) or even add a little chocolate agave with it for a chocolate monkey..... or whole fat greek yogurt with any kind of frozen fruit he might like...the varieties are endless! Check out all the smoothie sites on the internet for more ideas. This might be just what he needs for that extra bit of calories and nutrition
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    Why not try just making a yummy toddler type smoothie for him maybe without the protien powder......try a nutty monkey (banana and peanutbutter) or even add a little chocolate agave with it for a chocolate monkey..... or whole fat greek yogurt with any kind of frozen fruit he might like...the varieties are endless! Check out all the smoothie sites on the internet for more ideas. This might be just what he needs for that extra bit of calories and nutrition

What a great idea! And I totally didn't think of that! I'm mostly concerned about the amount of chemicals in the Pediasure - every other word in the ingredient list ends with 'cose' or 'tate' or something else I can barely pronounce. I'd rather he have something more natural without all the sugar. I'm definitely going to try some smoothies for the little guy!
  • bentobee
    bentobee Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Most peds are not well versed in adequate nutrition for kids. Sad but true.

I would not feed my child pediasure. There was a lot of info that came out a few years ago about how unhealthy that stuff really is. Most headlines read "not so sure about Pediasure" and "PediaSURE? Think again".... lol.

For extra calories you could add flax oil or ground flax seed to your child's foods - stir into yogurt, applesauce, other sauces, etc.

Think of the healthy things you'd add to YOUR diet if you needed up your own calories, and work those same things into your kiddo's diet. :)
  • bentobee
    bentobee Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Also, if your child is following their own natural growth curve...if he has always been tall and thin, then that might just be how he is, period.

My 4th child is now two. He has always been long and skinny... in the 90s for height while being in the 20s for weight. Very different for my other three kids who have always been in the 90s for both! He's maintained the same growth pattern since birth - tall and skinny is just going to be the way he IS.
    The only time you really need to worry is if your child suddenly shifts growth pattern - ex. if you child had always been 90/90 and suddenly within a short time frame (say 6 months or so) they shifted to being 90/20.

Kudos to you for questioning the "doctor's orders". I like a mama who thinks for herself! :smile:
  • austrya
    austrya Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I agree with the previous poster about him following his curve. If he suddenly dropped from the 50th % in weight, that's one thing, but if he's always hovered around the 20th %, I wouldn't worry about it. Also, most doctors don't know squat about nutrition. I have a friend who is a doctor and he said they got 1 class that lasted 1/2 of a semester on nutrition. I'd take him to see a registered dietician. In the meantime, cook with healthy oils, give him guacamole, full fat Greek yogurt, etc. What he needs is healthy fat to help with his brain development, not just extra empty calories.
  • hbrekkaas
    hbrekkaas Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Honestly I wouldn't even worry about giving him anything extra, unless he had suddenly stopped gaining weight or has started losing it. If he is happy and healthy and growing, he's doing good.

My 8 year old has a good diet (loves veggies, not in love with meat but eats enough) and she has always been between 10% and 20% for weight. My other two kids are meat/fruit/carb eaters, no veggies, no dairy due to allergies, and they are both above the 50% for weight.

Its totally up to you in the end because you are the mom, you do not have to do what the doctor says. They have their opinions, they are not always right.
  • dsreilly
    dsreilly Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    My partners child came to live with us after turning up for a weekend visit, covered in bruises. He was in 9-12 month old clothes, aged 2 years 9 months. Since living with us, he's started talking, no longer has a dummy, bottle, is finally starting to potty train. He's now 3 years 6 months, trying to get his weight up has been a real struggle. He's now in 1 1/2 -2 clothing, but still only weighs 25.6lbs, the average size of a a 16month baby!!! He still has a fair few issues, if you tell him off, he will make himself sick, he refuses a lot of carbs, i've started adding mayonaise to his meals as a dip. Not sure what else i can do to make him put on weight. Any ideas would be great!!!
  • Ilovepeppers
    Ilovepeppers Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I have a tall and very thin 2 year old as welland I tried pediasure since I thought it would add some extra calories in a healthy wayy. Well, I stopped when i saw what was in it.. Instead I blend healthy food into tge blender and add a childrens multivitamin. This way I know what hes getting, it's healthy and has calories. : )
  • mommy2cheeks
    Options
    I think a registered dietician would be the best source of info regarding the nutritional value of the Pediasure. As far as the protein bars and shakes, I'd ensure the pediatrician is OK with those. My only concern would be the high levels of protein their little body is having to process.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    a change in your kid's body composition isn't always a problem. My little brother was always going through this cycle: stay at a particular height for a few months and thicken up, then go through a spurt and end up tall and thin again. My mom fed us very well, and we were all healthy, so even if your kids starts to "fatten up" they may just be headed for a growth spurt.

Also, pediasure does have a lot of sugar, and you can avoid it if you prefer, but kids use up a lot more sugar than we do, and until age 7 they use up a whole lot more fat than we do (growing neurons), so the optimal balanced diet for an adult will automatically be lower in sugar and fats than the optimally balanced diet for kids.
  • NAMsMommy
    NAMsMommy Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    The only thing we have added to my 5-year old's diet is the carnation instant breakfast (its her "chocolate milk") She is 5 and STILL hasn't broken the 30lb mark. She is small. That's it. We saw a different pedi (and changed to him because of this!) and he was the first one NOT worried about her weight. She has ALWAYS been in the lower % (if on the chart at all!) As long as it doesn't drop off her curve she is fine. I will not let some person (doctor or not) tell me my kid is underweight when she has been the same for so long. Sorry. Just my personal opinion though!
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    While I can see having an issue with the sugar, I wouldn't worry about the carbs for a child. I would second the suggestion of homemade smoothies and any of the many things that can be done with bananas.

Also, does he like peanut butter or any kind of nuts? Those are good ways to add calories, protein and healthy fats and carbs.

Finally, I would do some research into the charts. It is impossible to be in the 110 percentile because percentiles are defined by the number of other children in the same category - there cannot be 110% of children! More importantly, when was the last time the charts are calibrated? How have they been affected by childhood obesity? It seems like the obesity epidemic would push healthy children into low percentiles.
  • shellgib
    shellgib Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    in response to the original question about the protein shakes....it is possible for kids to get too much protein which can be bad for their renal system. stick to natural forms of higher calorie, low sugar additions to his meals and you should be fine. also, if he's been steadily growing on the "curve" i wouldn't worry either.