Joint pain/strength training

Options
Anybody know why during my strength class I feel like I get a little pain in my left elbow? I'm wondering if there is something I can do to stop it. I definitely don't want to develop tendonitis or something like that. I've heard people say I have "tennis elbow" , but what's that?

Replies

• lenmana
    lenmana Posts: 171
    Options
    Anybody know why during my strength class I feel like I get a little pain in my left elbow? I'm wondering if there is something I can do to stop it. I definitely don't want to develop tendonitis or something like that. I've heard people say I have "tennis elbow" , but what's that?
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    Have your teacher check your form on whatever exercise you're experiencing pain on.

There is a difference between discomfort and pain (that sounds a lot more condescending than I mean it) a little discomfort is normal when you're working something that's new to you. A lot of pain is more cause for alarm. Since you say "a little pain". . .I'm guessing it might be just discomfort.

If you continue to experience the pain, with perfect form and after doing the exercises for a while. . then it's Dr. time. (I'm a big fan in better safe than sorry when it comes to joints and tendons). Tennis elbow is a repetitive stress injury, and you don't have to play tennis to get it. A quick search on WebMD will probably explain it better than I can.:flowerforyou:
  • george_park
    george_park Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have issues with both elbows and shoulders (tendonitis in both) which is caused by both my work and exercise. While I'm no medical professional I've been dealing with this for quite a long time so here goes...

Like any exerceise if you are starting out there will be a ramp up and initial discomfort. If it continues it could be an early warning to back off a bit, find some exerciese that will work the general area or mix up the movements in a way that help but don't hurt.

In some cases you will have to stop whatever you are doing, let the area heal and then ramp up again.

If work is causing some of the issues - I work on computers and have to take special precautions to build a good work area - you will need to address that too.

I have to have shots in all four locations (every so often) which range from the "can't feel it at all" to the very painful due to the irritation - but the trick is not to let it get to that point.

Take a look here:
    http://orthopedics.about.com/cs/sportsmedicine/a/tendonitis.htm

and talk to your Doc about it, they may be able to suggest some over the counter meds to start with and if the problem continues some additional therapy or treatment.

Best of luck,
    gp
  • GoGetterMom
    GoGetterMom Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    If it is a little pain, check with the instructor -they can be very helpful here. If it continues or gets worse, I would check with the doctor. After 30 our bodies do crazy things. Sometimes it can be as easy as adding a good quality Glucosamine to your supplements (but be careful if you are allergic to shellfish). This was a big one for me. :flowerforyou:
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    After 30 our bodies do crazy things.

amen, amen to that.:noway:
  • lenmana
    lenmana Posts: 171
    Options
    Merci! Probably is a good idea to ask the instructor. I play flute in a wind symphony so I've gotta keep my arms from getting any pesky conditions that might make it harder to play. Thanks for the advice as always! I'm not sure what I'd do without MFP!

Laurie