How Do I Get Around Knee Issues?

Options
So, I recently injured my knee, but I still want to keep up on cardio. I've tried light walking but after 20 min I can barely walk. The pain is especially bad when its in any type of weird positions. So, I've had to stop things like Yoga. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks

Replies

• jtndle
    jtndle Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I would try to swim. If you need to you could even drag that leg if kicking was still hurting your knee. Knees are a pain!
  • Pseudocyber
    Pseudocyber Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Swimming - freestyle with little to no kicking?
  • cmisty2001
    cmisty2001 Posts: 59
    Options
    after knee ligament surgery the physical therapist had me using an arm thing similar to bicycle pedals - boring, but effective for cardio. Plus lots of resistance band exercises
  • sammys1girly
    sammys1girly Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    I just injured my knee and can't even walk on it today :grumble: I am majorly bummed as I was just starting to feel like I was making some progress getting toned and losing a few lbs. I know Jillian Michaels says to do boxing with your arms if your legs are out of commission. I plan to lift some light weights at home as well. Hope your knee feels better...I know it stinks to have it hurt!
  • jljennbunny
    jljennbunny Posts: 21
    Options
    I know that is a tough one. I dislocated my knee cap quite a long time ago. But I have a host of other issues as well.....I have a plate in my leg (by my ankle). All I can say is, they are right....swimming is helpful and less strain on the joints. Maybe ask doctor for some strength training for the knee. For me, ice packs help a lot as well.
  • Melissajojo3
    Melissajojo3 Posts: 100
    Options
    So, I recently injured my knee, but I still want to keep up on cardio. I've tried light walking but after 20 min I can barely walk. The pain is especially bad when its in any type of weird positions. So, I've had to stop things like Yoga. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks
    try water arobics, this usually helps but slowly, don't over do it, and if you feel tha your knees are giving up on you, then just take a break or start off fresh the next day.....
  • guppygirl322
    guppygirl322 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Try some upper body exercises. When my knees hurt I just lift my arms over my head, like flapping your wings, lol. Icing them really helps a lot too. Keeps the swelling/inflamation down.
  • Tiggerrick
    Tiggerrick Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    after knee ligament surgery the physical therapist had me using an arm thing similar to bicycle pedals - boring, but effective for cardio. Plus lots of resistance band exercises

I used the hand bike when I tore my knee ligaments. It is really effective at keeping your cardio up.

Using the recumbent exercise bike with little resistance might be an option too. And, depending on your injury, the bending action might help. Make sure you wear a neoprene support at the very least. If you knee hurts more with repetitive bending, then don't do it.

Swimming is always a great option if a pool or body of water is available.
  • BenKnowsFitness
    BenKnowsFitness Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    It looks like you are making excellent progress towards your goal. It would be ashamed if an injury got in the way. Everyone gave good advice but I'd run it by a doctor too.
  • kacarter1017
    kacarter1017 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Hit the pool!
  • jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Definitely talk with your doc if you can, see if you can get a physical therapy appointment. The PT will help you develop a plan to heal and strengthen your kneee.

I also have a knee issue which comes and goes. I use the elliptical when its bothering me, stay off the step during step classes, and never ever do jump moves. I als do lots of squats and knee lifts to strengthen it. Oh annd I wear astore bought brace to give it a little support.