OT: I'm having trouble swallowing. HELP!

Options
It's been happening on and off for the past week or so. I'll be eating or drinking and then it feels like something is stuck in my throat and I can't swallow...start coughing, have trouble breathing and feel nauseous. I'm gonna make an appointment with my doctor tomorrow. It's scary. :frown: Could it be a side effect of the Vesicare? Or could it just be my acid reflux? B/c it's kinda similar to the feeling of burning in my throat and all...but worse...like something is stuck in there...

Replies

• pinkpixies
    Options
    It's been happening on and off for the past week or so. I'll be eating or drinking and then it feels like something is stuck in my throat and I can't swallow...start coughing, have trouble breathing and feel nauseous. I'm gonna make an appointment with my doctor tomorrow. It's scary. :frown: Could it be a side effect of the Vesicare? Or could it just be my acid reflux? B/c it's kinda similar to the feeling of burning in my throat and all...but worse...like something is stuck in there...
  • girldeese
    Options
    I had this a few times after starting a new med, and it turned out to be acid reflux - and probably a little stress thrown in there for good measure.....my Dr. changed my meds and since then I have been fine! cross my fingers, knock on wood!:smile:
  • pinkpixies
    Options
    I had this a few times after starting a new med, and it turned out to be acid reflux - and probably a little stress thrown in there for good measure.....my Dr. changed my meds and since then I have been fine! cross my fingers, knock on wood!:smile:

Thanks for responding! I hope thats all it is. I may need to go back on Nexium or something...I went off it late last year b/c it wasn't helping much anymore and I hate taking so many frickin pills. But I've never had the acid reflux this bad before...like before, I would just have really bad stomach pain and I would like burp and the food would come back up into my mouth. (TMI, sorry. :blushing: )
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    Could it maybe be a food allergy?
  • kerrilucko
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
  • girldeese
    Options
    I was scared too....but changing the meds worked. But I would still ask the Doc just to be sure! I know it was scarry for me though. :glasses: Good Luck!!
  • pinkpixies
    Options
    Could it maybe be a food allergy?

I'm not sure...it has happened with eating different foods...I was just eating crusty bread with smoked turkey and that new mayo made with canola oil...and it happened again.
  • firegirlred
    firegirlred Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Please go see a doctor. I don't want to scare you. Please have this checked out.
  • kerrilucko
    Options
    it probably is related to your medication, but I wouldn't rule out an allergy either. I'd try to avoid new foods until after you've visited the doc. But don't worry too much either, stress never helps anything. If you're really worried though, maybe you should head over to the ER?
  • metco89
    metco89 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I am on a medication at night that does that if i try to eat or drink anything. It is really a scarey feeling but i need the medication, It is like i have to consciencely think about swollowing and it is very hard so i am glad i take it at night. hang in there
  • pinkpixies
    Options
    Please go see a doctor. I don't want to scare you. Please have this checked out.

I will tomorrow. Hopefully my doctor is in the office and has an appointment free...I need to see her anyways b/c the nephrologist wants me to go on an ACE inhibitor thingy to help my kidneys or something. I don't know.
  • girldeese
    Options
  • pinkpixies
    Options

Yeah I have actually been diagnosed with that in the past. (too much purging, I suppose) I've tried Prilosec, Pepcid, and Nexium...they all worked at first but then they stopped working...I don't know if theres anything else Medicaid would cover. I guess it must be getting worse or something.
  • JeremyInvincible
    JeremyInvincible Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Glad to hear you are getting it checked out. Let us know!!!