A 3 year old needs 1250 cals

Options
Ok, so I was browsing a nursing textbook, reading the section about nutritional requirements and I am eating daily the amount required by a 2-3 year old child...... actually a little less: They need 1250 calories a day while I eat 1220 calories a day. I thought to myself, THAT is crazy. really crazy. no wonder I always want MORE food. Good thing excercise earns me more calories :laugh: :noway:

Replies

• kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    Ok, so I was browsing a nursing textbook, reading the section about nutritional requirements and I am eating daily the amount required by a 2-3 year old child...... actually a little less: They need 1250 calories a day while I eat 1220 calories a day. I thought to myself, THAT is crazy. really crazy. no wonder I always want MORE food. Good thing excercise earns me more calories :laugh: :noway:
  • SoupNazi
    SoupNazi Posts: 4,229 Member
    Options
    Holy schnikes!:noway:

No kidding.:laugh:
  • metco89
    metco89 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I was just thinking about the exercise calories and how much trouble i would be in without them . I told my friend if i wanna eat i gotta exercise so it is a motivating thing for me cause i wanna eat . :laugh: :flowerforyou: :tongue:
  • heartshapdworld
    heartshapdworld Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I was just thinking about the exercise calories and how much trouble i would be in without them . I told my friend if i wanna eat i gotta exercise so it is a motivating thing for me cause i wanna eat . :laugh: :flowerforyou: :tongue:

Exactly how I feel-the long hike this morning was great-I get to make myself a Strawberry Smoothie with 2% Milk. :bigsmile: In my dreams, I use Whole Milk :laugh:

(I can't do skim milk:noway: )
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options

Which is good example of why most people trying to lose weight shouldn't be on 1200 calories a day--it's simply too much of a deficit for most people. Unless you have a lot to lose and goodly reserve of "stored energy" (i.e.fat) to use for back-up fuel, then at 1200 calories a day, your body cannot function.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    No wonder my 3 y/o is so "petite". She never eats as much as I do!! (And I eat between 1200-1500)
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    1250 sounds high until you sit and watch a 3 year old for 6 hours. They NEVER STOP!

If we got up in the morning and ran down the stairs, stopped in the den to chase a fly, rolled on the floor with our dog, ran into the kitchen, ran around the woman there yelling mommy,mommy, mommy,mommy.....and that is just in the 1st 10 minutes of being awake, we would ALL be thin.

Also, a 3 yr old doesn't eat 3 squares a day. We feed them when they are hungry, and they eat until they are full.

It may have been a looooooong time ago, but man I remember having a 3 year old. As a matter a fact at one point I had a 1 yr old, 3 yr old and 5 yr old. If I could have bottled that energy I would be rich!

I:bigsmile: :heart: :bigsmile: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Livi_Loves_Pink
    Options
    Yeah, plus kids grow like crazy! They needs lots of good calories to keep up with their development.

But I agree with Shorerider 1200 is just not enough for most adults. I would be starving if that's all I could eat in a day. I would much rather lose the weight slowly and feel like I'm getting enough food, then quickly and be always hungry.