Dealing with Social Life and being healthy??

Options
I am having a hard time figuring out how to be able to still enjoy social events, etc and staying on track. We have always been a very active, social family but now it is such a struggle for me due to choices with the food.

We have had several parties to attend recently and it seems that over the summer it will be similar. For example, Dinner and graduation party friday night, I had a baby shower yesterday, lunch at an italian restaurant today after church for my mother in law's birthday...it just never ends

I know there are times I can eat something before and then make the best decisions possible while I am there but there are many times that I just have to eat what is available.
This weekend we are spending the whole Memorial day holiday at a friends lake house and I am already dreading being faced with all kids of things that I don't normally eat.

It was never a problem before but now that I have made progress I feel like I just get set back on the weekends like this or with so many things coming up. I almost dread social things now :ohwell:

Can anyone else relate or help me understand how to deal with it?

Replies

• bike4now
    bike4now Posts: 52
    Options
    I would think that all of those social events have got to end sometime where you can get back to your regular routine. If you really have that many engagements regularly, then begin a long term strategy as not to gain all the weight back. For example, going to a party and eating a fourth of what you normally would.
  • laursey
    laursey Posts: 307
    Options
    Sounds like a fun action-packed summer. How about packing along some of your favorite snacks with you, so you have something yummy you can snack on. I always bring along hummus and rice crackers almost everywhere I go, and I always bring lots so that others can join me if they'd like to.
    I also make sure I go for a run in the morning if I know I have a shower, birthday party, or other special event that I'm not in control of what I'll be eating.
    You could also eat before you go out and then just order a salad or appetizer that works alon with your plan.
    Good luck!

SW:171
    CW:144
    GW:137
  • beckusjane
    beckusjane Posts: 112
    Options
    I think I have the perfect solution for your friend's lake house weekend. If possible take the ingredients to make one of the meals. That way you know you are getting a healthy meal in and your hosts will be grateful for one less meal to cook(Obviously make sure they know what you are doing so you do not insult them) While making the meal, you can take the opportunity to tell them how hard you have been working to make healthier choices and it will also give you some left overs so you know you have a few extra healthy things to eat.

Hope this helps!
  • KLo924
    KLo924 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I completely commiserate!! I've had to be out of town three of the last four weekends for different events, and I'm going to be away (wedding, anniversary vacation) or have people visiting most of June. Meanwhile when I am home I'm trying to get together with friends--which has in the past meant going out to eat or for drinks, or someone making a bunch of food at their house. I'm trying to make the best choices possible, and then limit splurging. It doesn't work out 100%, but I figure it's better than I would have done in the past.

Also, I try to make sure I get in as much exercise as possible the days I know I'll be off with food. Even if I'm over on cal.s again, it's better than it could've been.

Good luck!! Let me know if you come up with any good strategies :)
  • LeahBeah12
    LeahBeah12 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I hear ya, it is hard to eat good when you have cookouts/parties all summer!

I'd recommend bringing a healthier dish to pass when you go to these events so that you know there will be something there that you like. I love the Creamy Grape Dessert from the SkinnyTaste website and plan on bringing that everywhere this summer.

I also always keep a Kashi granola bar in my purse for when I need a snack and I don't want to pig out, it has helped me a lot!
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    At barbeques and stuff, I've been loading up on fruit and vegetables from the fruit and veggie trays, and then having small tastes of everything else, so I can enjoy it but still stay on track!
  • carolynmittens
    Options
    don't dread the social gatherings! look at it as a way to introduce people to healthy food that actually tastes good. my family used to make fun of me so bad for eating really healthy. then i started bringing a big dish to share at family gatherings. like for christmas for example, i made a big huge bowl of quinoa and curried red lentil dahl topped with tofu baked in a mango ginger glaze. every member of my steak-loving family LOVED it. now they all look forward to the "crazy health food" i bring to the parties. i always offer to bring stuff to social gatherings, so A) i'll actually have something to eat and B) it really gets people to open up a bit to health food. a lot of people avoid it like the plague ;P

i mean there are times though when it's just polite to eat what's offered. this doesn't happen too often to me, mostly in out of the ordinary situations. like when i was in africa a couple of years ago, i stayed with some villagers basically living in the bush, they had almost nothing and when they cooked for me it was goat meat and white rice. i was a hardcore vegan at the time and never touched anything white or processed, but of course i ate what they gave me. if it's a situation like a wedding or something, i don't think it's impolite to pass on the cake or the deep fried stuffed mushrooms or whatever if you're trying to eat healthier.
  • tellybelle
    tellybelle Posts: 144
    Options
    Thanks so much for the suggestions. I guess I am just feeling overwhelmed with all the temptations with so many things planned. I am definitely going to bring several dishes this weekend! That's a fantastic idea!! Thanks again everyone!