WALKING CALORIES

Options
i take my puppy on long walks every night but i never log those cals. i only log the calories from running/ellipticaling/biking.. like when i'm actually working out. should i be logging my walking cals?!?

Replies

• modernfemme
    modernfemme Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    if you walk constantly for at least 15 minutes, I'd totally log that.
  • skinnyhopes
    skinnyhopes Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I think you should because there is an option where you can search walking dog and you do burn a fair amount of calories :)
  • lhurtubise
    lhurtubise Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    if you walk constantly for at least 15 minutes, I'd totally log that.

I agree that counts as excercise even if you have to do it everyday!
  • epj78
    epj78 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    I don't. I take a walk every night - usually somewhere around 3.3 MPH. I only log if I'm power walking - over 3.5 mph. To each there own though - I don't think there is anything wrong per sae about logging those calories, I just don't feel like my HR get high enough to justify logging the calories. It's just a nice extra burn.
  • broadsword7
    broadsword7 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    If you are up and doing something for an extended period of time, and your heart rate is up, I would log it. Walking a dog (puppy) is a wonderful, totally healthy thing that has a lot of benefits to it above and beyond physical health. Keep up your good work!
  • chancie72
    chancie72 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I wear a pedometer when I walk. Anytime I walk for more than 10 minutes straight without stopping it starts logging the time and steps as aerobic exercise. So I count anything on my aerobic button of the pedometer (anything over 10 minutes).
  • kbanzhaf
    kbanzhaf Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I log all of my walking that I consider "intentional," and over the course of 15 months, I lost (and have kept off) over 60 pounds. Initially lost 72, gained 22 of that back, have lost 10 of those, and am trying to lose (and keep off) about 5-8 pounds once again.

Walking is my main form of exercise. I often walk 2-3 miles a day on my job (I wear a pedometer), but I don't log that time and those miles.

I would consider walking your dog in the evening intentional exercise -- even if it is a different form of exercise than you usually do.
    Kaye
  • ambercole
    ambercole Posts: 426
    Options
    Me and my husband walk our dog about 4 miles every night, but I dont count those calories because I just count it in with my daily activity. Work, walking dog, cleaning, ect... does not count as excercise in my book, I only count actual workouts and running. But to each his own.
  • WhitneyW78
    WhitneyW78 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Well, I lost 215 pounds so far strictly from doing walking as my exercise and watching calories. If it's extra movement in a day that you don't normally get, it totally should be counted.
  • emmaldownie
    emmaldownie Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    You are amazing...

FACT!
  • fitnessjch
    fitnessjch Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Yes, you should. MFP tells you to log your exercise, and walking is exercise.
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    i take a two mile walk with a co worker every night we work together. i log that. and i also lift weights as a part of my actual workout.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    I'd log it if I were you! You burn at least a few calories doing it!
  • feelinghappy1
    feelinghappy1 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I agree with every one who said; "yes" log it.
  • mrrodriguez
    mrrodriguez Posts: 158
    Options
    I walk my two dogs for about 30 minutes per night, and I always log it. I think if you want to be accurate log it!
  • zianiH
    zianiH Posts: 68
    Options
    Me and my husband walk our dog about 4 miles every night, but I dont count those calories because I just count it in with my daily activity. Work, walking dog, cleaning, ect... does not count as excercise in my book, I only count actual workouts and running. But to each his own.

totally agree with this.... that is an extra bonus for you hun
  • hillview2
    hillview2 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    That TOTALLY counts! Log it!