New to the site...Shift worker anyone?

Options
jessilea53
jessilea53 Posts: 87 Member
Hello all, my name is Jessica and just recently started on My Fitness Pal. I lost a decent amount of weight 5 years ago and have been able, until recently, to keep it off.

My biggest issue is shift work. I work night shifts every 3 months and it kills me. Any suggestions on how to not eat to pass the boring nights?

I used another site in the past but am eager to use MFP, hoping it can help keep me motivated.

Thanks
Jessica

Replies

• DesiTapp
    DesiTapp Posts: 5
    Options
    Hello,
    I am also a shift worker I work 7p to 7a at a hospital in Texas!! I am counting my calories and have found that if I only bring enough food that night to equal my set limit then I dont have anything to snack on!! Let me know if you have any tips I feel that working nights makes the weight loss even more difficult!!
  • Brooke1542
    Brooke1542 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I work nights, have for about one year. I work 6 PM to 6 AM, and try not to eat past midnight, which seems to help me. If I do get hungry and want to snack, I keep the 100 calorie mini popcorn bags around and eat one of those. Also, I chew a lot of gum and drink a lot of water.

Hope that helps!
  • redsoxy
    redsoxy Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    There are a bunch of us on here that work the night shift. I've personally found that planning is a BIG help - to bring just enough food to keep me not hungry and space it out through my shift. Also I don't eat past 3am (I'm out at 6am).
  • Danlol
    Danlol Posts: 32
    Options
    Hello and welcome. I work a 2pm to 12 am shift in dispatch which includes sitting on my butt all day long!!! I love MFP it really helps me keep straight, because i am terrified of being as "big" as some of my shift mates. I do a few things to stay on track. First i pack my lunch and snacks and log them all before i go to work. Then i keep MFP up the whole time i'm working to log water and remind me not to eat when i'm not supposed to (plus its kinda fun too). Finally, i set time restraints for myself. For instance i do not let myself eat my dinner before 7pm or else i'll be starving when i get home. Not good. So then i just eat my snacks when i'm hungry around my dinner. It works fabulous for me. Good luck!!
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    only pack what you are going to eat. thats what i do.
    will power.
    i play on the internet all night, or read or hang with coworkers.
  • Crystalchaos72
    Options
    I plan plan plan! I have worked 3rd shift for the majority of 8 years and during this process I have found planning my meals is key. I eat from 8pm - noon the next day......not constantly but just about every 3 hrs max. I eat what I want and exercise to make up for it. It works for me.......sending you a friend request
  • jessilea53
    Options
    Thanks! I try and just bring what I plan. With a vending machine and a group of guys who can eat whatever they want and bring whatever they want, I find it hard not to want to eat some of the chips or cookies that they bring to share. My co-worker and I are trying our best to have the guys keep the stuff away from us. We will see how long it lasts. I do the internet and read too. I work a 8pm-6am shift. Any suggestions on small quick snacks to bring? Ive found I get bored with food very easy, so Im looking for some variety.

Thanks again
    Jessica
  • Pam37841
    Pam37841 Posts: 286
    Options
    Hello,

Yes, I work 3rd shift as well. I think for me it has become more of a healthy alternatives instead of a not eating alternative. I take fruit, salad, veggies and, special K bars.
  • Crystalchaos72
    Options
    Special k cracker chips.....110 cal for 27 or the whole box for 400 ish....lol
    Almonds oatmeal banana apple orange kiwi rice cakes ......I could go on :)
  • ValGalNC
    ValGalNC Posts: 12
    Options
    Hi!! I work nights too, I feel your pain....I have just started here on this site, so it's a BIG adjustment figuring out what I SHOULD have to eat -- even tho I do have alot of calories alotted....I still feel bad to eat junk. I think it's best to bring healthy snacks - like fruits and veggies.......or maybe the 100 calorie snack bags. I love veggie straws, they are really good for a snack too. It's best to take a variety and have choices to choose from that are still low calorie -- I know how tough it is (I'm at work right now!) lol -- Gooooodluck!!! : )
  • healthyjewels
    healthyjewels Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Yup Newbie and a 3rd shift worker......... HI !
  • jessilea53
    Options
    Ok, so when does everyone exercise? I have a VERY hard time getting up an extra hour before coming to work. So, Im looking at working out in the AM after I get off. I dont end up falling asleep til 8-10am anyways. Im just afraid I wont be able to fall asleep until even later if I do that. IDK Im just trying to figure out what works for me.
  • redsoxy
    redsoxy Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    On my work days, I work out right before work. I find that it actually wakes me up for the overnight and it gets me in a really good routine. On my days off, I work out in the morning (I switch back to a normal sleeping schedule on my days off)
  • miffykins
    miffykins Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I work shifts to and i'm pretty sure it does not help my weight loss.
    What do people think about doing a workout in your break?
    Would it be to much adfter midnight?
  • bt2160
    bt2160 Posts: 1
    Options
    I work fifty hours a week at night. I pass it by drinking water all night and working out at least an hour in there somewhere. I usually get it in around 3 AM or so. Shift work makes it so hard - you're always sleepy on days off.
  • TinaRodina
    TinaRodina Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I work all shifts at my job. My schedule is constantly changing. It makes it really rough to get a routine down for sleeping/eating/exercising. It def helps to pack your food and plan ahead. I find that it's easier for me to exercise when I get off work (no matter what time it is) because I'm never tired enough to go right to sleep anyways. Hope that helps. Good luck!
  • psb13
    psb13 Posts: 629
    Options
    planning is the key. i pack and log my food ahead of time. i also pack plenty of healthy snacks in case of an attack of the munchies!!
  • taranmisty
    taranmisty Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I too am a shift worker. I work from 7pm to 7am and until I joined MFP did not realize that most days I was eating four meals instead of three. I would eat breakfast with the family and lunch with my husband and supper when I got to work an calories to equal a fourth meals in snacks all night long!!! This site has been great to keep me accountable for what i put in my mouth. I had used diet power--a similar program-- in the past with good success, but I wasn't working nights then and I didn't have three kids in tow. This is better in that I can log at work on computer, at home on my computer and anywhere on my thunderbolt phone. I can choose what I want to eat based on information instead of on appetite alone. I have only been here a couple of weeks, but already have lost 7 pounds and have plans to lose even more. BTW, the picture is my inspiration!!! Good luck and friend me if you like!!:happy:
  • mistresscox
    Options
    I too am a shift worker. Usually I work 7p-7a, but my schedule varies so I never really know when I'm going to be working. Depending on what is appropriate for your work place you could read, watch TV, play online, study something, knit/bead to pass the time. I also find that when I'm feeling "snacky" and bored getting up and doing something helps me. You can always tell a night that I got bored because an area of our unit is cleaned and organized to a fault. :)

As for exercising I find that I just have to fit it in whenever. I have a toddler on top of working weird hours, which means sometimes I get little to no sleep. Because of this I have a hard time planning my workouts-I just sort of go whenever I'm awake and don't have anywhere to be for a bit. Before kid though I would get up early and go work out before work and go usually in the afternoons on my days off since I'm not much of a morning person. Either way though it is doable-the exercise piece you just have to play around with and decide what is best for you. Good luck!
  • cherrydietcoke1
    Options
    I work nights as a nurse- 4 each month. I try to fill up on a big meal just before I leave for work about 6pm, then have loads of diet coke and special k throughout the night. sleep til about 3pm, start cooking the next tea- and I lose weight like that!

welcome to my fitness pal

ps plan ahead defo x