The Apocalypse IS Here!!

Options
Pig are flying
Arm chair quarterbacks around the world are scratching their heads
Wonders have ceased
I am speechless

I don't know what to do?!?! Help friends!!!!

My DH bought a bicycle today!!

now you need to know that my DH is a complete 180 degree opposite of Banks. He has never, ever been athletic, nor exercised, nor shown any interest in it...his diet consists of Diet Coke, Fast Food and Butter - and okay, Pringles. He now swears that he is going to ride to get in shape. :noway:

Now, you may want to say - YEA for him (and me)! But i don't know what to do!! Do I just let him do it at his own pace? Should I make gentle suggestions so that he doesn't hurt himself? How do I encourage without pusing him into his man cave? I have never in 10 years of marriage been at a loss like this!! Finally after 2 years of dedication to the gym and my running - he has seen my results and is getting on the train to healthy-land. I don't know what has come over him - but of course I am secretly jumping for joy inside - but don't want to make too much of a big deal - just in case!

Advise!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?
Tricia

Replies

• pmkelly409
    pmkelly409 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    Pig are flying
    Arm chair quarterbacks around the world are scratching their heads
    Wonders have ceased
    I am speechless

I don't know what to do?!?! Help friends!!!!

My DH bought a bicycle today!!

now you need to know that my DH is a complete 180 degree opposite of Banks. He has never, ever been athletic, nor exercised, nor shown any interest in it...his diet consists of Diet Coke, Fast Food and Butter - and okay, Pringles. He now swears that he is going to ride to get in shape. :noway:

Now, you may want to say - YEA for him (and me)! But i don't know what to do!! Do I just let him do it at his own pace? Should I make gentle suggestions so that he doesn't hurt himself? How do I encourage without pusing him into his man cave? I have never in 10 years of marriage been at a loss like this!! Finally after 2 years of dedication to the gym and my running - he has seen my results and is getting on the train to healthy-land. I don't know what has come over him - but of course I am secretly jumping for joy inside - but don't want to make too much of a big deal - just in case!

Advise!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?
    Tricia
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    I don't have any suggestions but I'm glad to know what's going on. I thought I was losing my mind or halucinating when I thought I saw a pig fly by my window (I'm on the second floor) earlier. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Seriously, good for your husband. That's wonderful! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • age1389
    age1389 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    I say let him be. And if he wants help he will ask. I would just be very supportive.
    Good for him:drinker:

-Adrienne:heart:
  • ali106
    ali106 Posts: 3,754 Member
    Options
    OH WOW that's awesome Trish!

I think if it were me I'd just let him take the lead....if you say too much he may get gun shy....you know your man best....but if he looks like he wants to talk about it jump on in w/ the advice...if he's just doing it on his own...I'd probably just stand by and smile! lol but that's me LOL...

do what you think is best....but regardless he wants to get healthy w/ you...that's wonderful!!!
    hugs girl!!!
    Ali :drinker:
  • heartshapdworld
    heartshapdworld Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    My friend gave me the best advice once: "Sometimes you just gotta let a man be a man." I wouldn't tell him what to do. Instead I would make subtle lifestyle choices like planning active things to do toether (bike ride with picnic lunch or hiking or meeting each other at the gym) and maybe incorporating fitness into your conversation scrip (like I read this really great article about...or a subscription to a fitness magazine).
  • JanCar
    Options
    I think it's great for both of you! My hubby is my workout partner and he even is a label reader!!! :noway:
    He has gotten into the whole healthy lifestyle thing as much as me. Support each other. Encourage him when you can, but don't criticize. Maybe getting him a subscription to a men's health magazine might help him in figuring out which direction he want's to go. And, I don't know if you two like to cook, but I know we try and do that together as much as we can.

You guys will do great!!!!:bigsmile:
  • jlwhelan1
    Options
    Okay, I have to ask, but I don't want to know the answer...

this is a private matter between you and him...

did he also buy cycling shorts?

does he know how to wear them?

When my dh biked with me a few time his backside hurt so I bought him cycling shorts with lots of padding. And then the debate began (okay all you gutter minded people this is right down your alley)...
    How specifically does one of the male gender wear cycling shorts. We decided to do some "on the street" observing. We went to a place where a lot of cyclist cycle past. I was told to observe specifically where certain equipment was stored in these type of shorts. :laugh: While dh pretended to not be noticing me trying to observe equipment packaging. What a joke..it was pathetic, I couldn't figure out anything as the bikers biked past at high speed and we got to laughing too hard about the absurdity of what we were doing. So, I called on an old friend who's husband raced and asked her to ask him so she could tell me so I could tell dh. (Answer: either side is fine) However, I advise you to do some of your own "on the street" investigating just to be sure.

Congratulations. I hope he really gets into cycling with you.
  • stacystar
    stacystar Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    What a great role model you became for him. Like most everyone has said just let him go at his pace and let him ask when he asks. Just support the best way you know how. What fun to be doing this together.
  • pmkelly409
    Options
    Okay, I have to ask, but I don't want to know the answer...

this is a private matter between you and him...

did he also buy cycling shorts?

does he know how to wear them?

When my dh biked with me a few time his backside hurt so I bought him cycling shorts with lots of padding. And then the debate began (okay all you gutter minded people this is right down your alley)...
    How specifically does one of the male gender wear cycling shorts. We decided to do some "on the street" observing. We went to a place where a lot of cyclist cycle past. I was told to observe specifically where certain equipment was stored in these type of shorts. :laugh: While dh pretended to not be noticing me trying to observe equipment packaging. What a joke..it was pathetic, I couldn't figure out anything as the bikers biked past at high speed. So, I called on an old friend who's husband raced and asked her to ask him so she could tell me so I could tell dh. (Answer: either side is fine) However, I advise you to do some of your own "on the street" investigating just to be sure.

Congratulations. I hope he really gets into cycling with you.

Interesting!! I hadn't thought about that!! i will buy him a pair tomorrow as a 'congrats' gift. He loves stuff! He has already be researching the best thing to put on the back of his car to carry the bikes. any particular kind work best?
  • pmkelly409
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your support - and sorry for all those pigs flying around your homes this evening! :laugh:

I am just waiting for the conversations tomorrow about how sore he is!
  • jlwhelan1
    Options

Interesting!! I hadn't thought about that!! i will buy him a pair tomorrow as a 'congrats' gift. He loves stuff! He has already be researching the best thing to put on the back of his car to carry the bikes. any particular kind work best?

I just bought him a middle of the road (no pun intended) pair with a decent amount of cushioning. I bought it on sale for about $45. He is still a bit shy about wearing them...but when he bike commutes he does wear them gratefully.
  • pmkelly409
    Options

I just bought him a middle of the road (no pun intended) pair with a decent amount of cushioning. I bought it on sale for about $45. He is still a bit shy about wearing them...but when he bike commutes he does wear them gratefully.

Thanks! He wants to go on a long ride next weekend - I think they will be a necessary purchase!
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    AHHH--my evil plan to convert ALL the world into cyclists is coming to fruition!Dr_Evil.jpg

Ummm---sorry. Strayed through for second through joy of someone else getting on a bike!

Ok--first on the bike shorts.

----there are "mountain bike" shorts available that are less "clingy". I've got me a pair ordered. I wanted padded shorts but am NOT ready for spandex yet (nor is the world ready for me in Spandex yet :tongue: ). So those might be more comfortable.

Also--all bike shorts--if you didn't know already--should really be worn, well, as my DH puts it, "commando style." Meaning sans skivvies or underwear. Otherwise, the skivvies just bunch and cause discomfort. This goes for women, too. Many of the "real" cyclists I've met on the 'net don't wear skivvies while riding--in cycling shorts or regular shorts.

--Two Words--BUTT-R Cream--get it on Amazon.com. Use it lots! Works great. Smear it all over the specified parts of your body (i.e BUTT), legs, etc. Trust me--it makes a difference!

--as for racks--buy Thule or Yakima--cost a bit more but the quality CANNOT be beat. We have a Yakima on the back of my Subaru that works like a Champ. You have to have a special bar for women style bikes that costs extra but again worth it.

Now--back to planning my take-over of the world. iconhell_surrealthoughtz_mwahahaa.gif